1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jet Blue, Delta, US Air how to get more room seats and pricing? for dummies

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Tammy58, Oct 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi, Been a SW customer for many years. Last time I flew Delta was over 15 years ago, where you actually picked your seat when you made your ressie. The husband has been yelling for years that he wants to fly someone else and pay for the bigger/more rooms seats. I have been scouring the net and I am still a bit confused. You have to book the flight first to pick your seats? How/when do you get to choose the better/bigger seats? I assume upgrade charge will be more on a longer flight. Anyone book an upgraded seat from New England and what was the upgrade charge? It makes it very hard to try this...having to give all your info before you know what your paying has kept me from trying this. Jet Blue would be out of BOS....other carriers would be out of MHT or BDL. They all have different names for these seats...Economy Comfort, Comfort Plus, More Room....depending on the carrier. Our upcoming flight is out of BDL with SW I paid for an empty with their Customer of Size option. I will post a report here when we return so others can know how that works. Since I don't normally fly these other carriers upcharge could be $100 or $500...not knowing has been my barrier.

I guess I can rename this thread...Upgraded seats for dummies...

Thanks for all replies.:eek:

2. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always take JetBlue out of Logan nonstop. I have never upgraded to more leg room because the 32" pitch is more than enough for me. I see the option come up and think its generally + $75 or $100 each way.

3. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we fly Delta out of Atlanta the upgrade costs $69 for each leg of the trip. I usually get it for the ATL to LAS leg but not for coming home.

If I remember correctly, you have to complete the ticket purchase then go back and add the upgrade.

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tammy I looked at BOS flights on the Delta website, when you are looking at the list of flights click on 'view seats', it lists the upgrade cost. The one I checked has a layover at DTW, BOS to DTW was $29 and DTW to LAS was $79.

5. Tammy58

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TY thanks I will look again. I have been playing with the Delta site and didn't see the upgrade seats prices....I even played with first class...yeah, we are too cheap for that. Just having the comfort seat upgrade will make the hubby happier. Morty thank you! This is the type of info I was looking for. $100 more pp from BOS is still cheaper than booking 3 seats on sw for 2 people, plus you get more leg room...on sw you just get an auto empty next to you. We have the luxury of choosing from 4 airports. BDL is usually the cheapest, husband LOVES MHT but prices are generally higher...BOS we avoid due to high parking costs, city traffic, longer TSA waits, only choice for Jet Blue however.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubby is not going to be happy. The "upgrade" you are apparently talking about is "Economy Plus" or some similar name. The seat width is the same. The space between seats might be 2-3" more. Most people would not even know they are in one of those seats.

When you book, you can select seats before you actually pay. Also, most of airlines (DL does) allow you to fully cancel a ticket within 24 hours, no charge. Even the super low price tickets.

7. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always Jet Blue and reg seats are great vs American or United ie Airbus better then boeing in my limited travels.

8. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of those +2 to 3 inch extra seats I've seen have ranged from $40-$100 extra with the high end usually being the exit row seats. Other than a draft in those seats, it's a pretty sweet gig if you can get them.

Personally, I watch the fares for economy and first class. If you have to factor in checking a bag with the airlines that charge for luggage, it's almost always in my favor to book an one way, first class ticket into Vegas for generally not much more than a buyin at the craps table. Extra room, comfy seat, free booze, early on, early off, first priority for bags to come out at baggage claim.

Granted, coming home, I'm back in economy... :rolleyes2:

9. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On American, you can choose seats as part of the purchase process -- you pick your flights, and then when you go to the next screen, you can select your seats (and add upgrades in the process). I've never been unable to select a seat while booking except for when I have to go through my work travel agent. That being said, I don't think the option to pick a seat really jumps out at you; you might have to look for it.

10. TomBrady'sLoveChild

TomBrady'sLoveChild Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tammy Jet Blue has 3 nonstop flights going and coming back from Vegas. Last week I just booked for Super Bowl Weekend, flying out on Friday flying back red-eye Monday for $300. NO BAG FEES. Jet Blue has there own TSA and never a long wait plus you fly into the new terminal in Vegas , no tram rides or long taxi lines. If book far enough in advance you can get a good rate, you choose your own seat ahead of time, free tv and wifi and sufficient leg room. Good Luck to you!! GO PATRIOTS!!

11. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These "upgrades" depend on the airline and length of the flight. Do you fly 25K miles a year? If so, you should consider staying loyal to one airline since these Economy Comfort/Economy Plus/Main Cabin Extra/etc. seats for free for elites. However, it's worth noting that the airlines only offer these seats at check-in nowadays.

If you're not loyal to a certain airline, I'd probably go with JetBlue to their baggage policy and IFE. Another option is to take a look at First Class fares and see if it's not much of a difference compared to Economy fares.

12. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, not only are the Economy + seats not any wider, but you might even find them more narrow, especially on Delta, which has some of the narrowest seats around. There is no reason you couldn't buy three seats together on another carrier, but it would restrict you from some flights as some of the smaller planes only have rows of two, if you wanted to fully enjoy the space.

The good thing about doing it on SW is that you'll get the third seat price back, if the flight is not full. Further, I believe you'll be able to pre-board with the COS card, so you'll have a reasonable chance to sit where you'd like. Or so I've read; I'll be trying it in January.

I'm not sure how savvy you are when looking for seats online (well, or me either, sometimes), but just throwing out December one ways on Matrix from BDL to LAS, the economy flights go for $152, and the cheap First on Delta can be had for $335, but you'd likely have to stay a week to get a similar priced flight back. Factor in the no bag fees, not paying for the third seat, getting treated like a human being... Who knows, it might be such a nice experience, hubby will stop yelling.

13. Brewfangrb

Brewfangrb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with others and I know you've said you checked, but I would continue to check on first class seats, as well. I'm in First there and back for my upcoming trip and it was only $115 extra, plus I get my checked bag free (which is worth $50 roundtrip). Of course, I'm paying a VERY, VERY awful fare to start because I was hard-headed and insisted on being on the same flights as my sis and bro-in-law. Economy Comfort (I'm flying DL) would've only been like $19 extra each way. However, as many others have noted: The premium economy seats only offer additional pitch, not width. Usually about 2-3" of pitch. Plus, many carriers offer additional perks for the premium economy--maybe 1 free alcoholic beverage (sometimes free alcohol, period), plus priority boarding, etc.

Sorry...I realized I didn't answer your question. On the Delta site, you can filter the class you want to search or if you choose economy, it will display the alternative of "add $X for Economy Comfort". I found it to be pretty easy. (It may display at the end to get an upgrade option).

14. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JetBlue out of Boston, I bought the Extra Space seat once at least a couple of years ago and it was only $50, the last few trips when I've looked, it was $85 and then $95. These were all for the morning non-stop. Not worth that much unless you're really tall.

You can see the price during your original booking, and you can log in later after you've booked and go through the "Change Seats" process and see if the price for those seats goes down. I've never seen it go down and I don't expect to - they have the only non-stops out of BOS.

15. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How can Delta have narrower seats than others?

The only way to change the seat size is to reduce or enlarge the aisle. Or remove one seat.

The width of the plane is the same no matter which airline. (assuming the same plane type - and there are only a handful of those)

16. Tammy58

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the replies. I saw the upcharge on Delta but I just "assumed" it was a From that amount....figuring it would actually be higher than that....Like many other marketing ploys. I have started a spreadsheet for all my comparisons. After I do the COS with SW in a few weeks I will know what I think of that policy. Jet Blue out of Bos is something we have always considered. I need to sign up for all the company's emails. I tend to book/look way out which of course makes prices higher. SW I watch their sales daily, if I do the same with other carriers I may get a better rate. Jet Blue's biggest downfall ( with me ) is their return flight is a red eye, not sure I want my husband driving the 60 miles home after that flight. Sure you plan on sleeping but whose to say you actually will. All great information Thank You VERY MUCH....I have learned a lot! I have already picked my dates for the spring...let the fun begin on the airfare gamble! I have chosen 2 different weeks so I have more wiggle room.

From the Northeast the fares I keep coming up with for Delta with first class are anywhere from $2500 to $4000 for 2 people. If I can get 2 seats from MHT on Delta for around $2000 we would probably try it. Flying first class just once in our life is on our "bucket" list. I will watch for their sales.:thumbsup:

17. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two things... when looking for good 1st class fares, try searching for ONE seat first. If you search for two, and only one cheap seat is available, it will price both at the higher rate.

As to seat width, came across this the other day. No idea of accuracy. The main variable in seat width is the different aircraft.

Domestic Economy Comparison Table

Seat Pitch Seat Width
    Air Canada 29-32 17-18
    Alaska 32 17
    American 30-31 17.2-18
    Delta 30-31 17.2-18.25
    Frontier 30-31 17-18
    Hawaiian 31-32 18
    JetBlue 30-33 17.8-18.25
    Southwest 31-33 17-17.75
    Spirit 28 17.75
    United 30-32 17-18.2
    US Airways 31-32 17-18
    Virgin America 32 17.7

18. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jet Blue is one bag free, 2nd one is $40. Not an issue when you're going for a weekend, but it is when you're going for 2 weeks.

19. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simple. One carry-on and checked bag. For a two week stay, I would go somewhere with a laundry machine inside the suite (ex. Vdara or Elara), so one checked bag is more than enough.

20. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd rather pay 25 bucks then do the wash on vacation.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.