1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber nears launch in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did anyone see this article? It came out yesterday 10/22/14.

I don't see how Uber will be all that effective in LV, only because LV has designated pick-up/drop-off areas. They have to follow the same rules from the airport and on the strip, the same rules that apply to all cabs. So outside of a 15% savings on their ride, the convenience aspect is wiped out.
    In my opinion, the time/convenience of Uber was its main draw.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/traffic-transportation/uber-appears-ready-roll-las-vegas

July 19th - July 24th
  2. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah I LOL'd at this part "Kintz and Uber spokeswoman Eva Behrend said the company is working to educate lawmakers and policymakers..."

ok, good luck with that

3. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber hasn't had any meetings with NTA. They may launch but drivers will be arrested and cars impounded.

4. CosmoGold

CosmoGold Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope this happens. I was disappointed when I opened the app for the first time in Vegas and saw no drivers nearby.

5. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I gotta figure that the NTA swings a lot of weight around town and that if the cab companies aren't outright greasing the local politicians, they are at least heavy campaign and fund raising contributors

I don't think Uber has a chance in hell, but then again I thought they'd never get back into SFO

6. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nta is a state run operation, so yes, people get arrested monthly for running illegal transportation operations. What people dont understand is that NTA governs limos, taxis, tow trucks, movers and even non emergency ambulance services.

Locals would have a more of an interest, but once you live here you call the same guy all the time and you can get a better deal.

7. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could see it working for off strip taxi rides, especially off strip to off strip rides or off strip back to the strip. And, there are people who simply do not like organized taxi services that may use this service as an alternative.

Doesn't mean I think it'll survive the uphill battle of getting it "legal" in the area nor the possible "civil" penalties imposed by people with interest in the taxi companies doing well (maybe civil suits, but I'm really thinking old-school Vegas physical action, here.)

8. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the thing is. taxi rates are regulated and they have meters. Uber said they would never put meters in their cars. Basically they need to apply for a taxi license and then petition to offer exempt services. I know some of the cheater things they could do, but they havent paid me to help them, so till then. lol

9. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber seems to adhere to the old adage that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission so I predict it will be an interesting few months. Taxi drivers aren't the most beloved of professionals rating above Lawyers, IRS auditors and Referees but not by much so I don't see them able to sway much public sympathy their way.

While not exactly like Blockbuster versus Netflix it is a case of the old guard trying to hold on against an upstart.

10. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber is simply no different than a friend giving another friend a ride.

If you think that's against the law... you're crazy. Uber is coming alright and it's gonna be extremely hard to stop them from coming.

I use Uber all the time and refuse to use taxis whenever I have the opportunity. Most of my friends are in the same boat. We all HATE taxis. And, even though I can walk out of my building right now and flag down a cab in an instant, I won't. I'll use my Uber app and call for an Uber.

If Uber comes to Vegas... I'll use it exclusively while I'm in Vegas regardless of the availability of taxis and limos. In fact, it's hard to get a limo on demand in Vegas without a hassle.

11. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    By that logic there's no way governments could make consentual sex between adults for money against the law, but all the prostitution convictions, even just in Las Vegas, itself, would certainly prove you wrong on that logic.

12. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    its easy to stop them. Guys go and lease cars and drive illegally and get arrested and get a 20k fine, that will stop people from driving.

Its not a friend giving a friend a ride, its the exchange of funds which makes it illegal.

like i said, unless they find a way around the laws of Vegas, they wont be here.

13. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never given an Uber driver money. Ever. I guess since there is no exchange of funds, it shouldn't be illegal.

Uber is worth billions. I'm sure if they sign drivers up and those drivers get fined or in trouble they'll bail those drivers out. Otherwise, no one would drive for them. Same thing they've been doing in other cities.

14. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the Uber crowd runs with the bit coin crowd...

15. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard that they have an agreement to work off strip. Not sure how they can do that without cpcn from nta.

16. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're paying the service, you're paying for a driving service and applicable laws still apply. The paying the pimp defense doesn't work in prostitution, either.

17. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't seem very constitutional, does it?

18. Hobofrank

Trips to Las Vegas:
    neither do local or state gun laws, but way it goes

Uber either reaches an agreement with NTA (read $$$$) or no Uber on the strip/airport

19. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As others have mentioned, there's no legitimate reason that Über should be considered illegal.

If someone is willing to provide a service, and someone else is willing to pay for the service, then the transaction is mutually beneficial and should be considered legal.

Illegality = criminal activity. However, in Uber's situation, there is no victim. No victim = no crime.

I would actually use Über in Vegas. I'm tired of getting long hauled by non-English speaking taxi drivers.

20. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get how they can bust Uber drivers though.

Officer pulls up the Uber app and orders a car. Car shows up. Driver offers the Officer a ride and he accepts. Officer gets a ride and doesn't give the driver a dime. Who does he give the ticket to?

The driver says... "I'm not with Uber... I just offered you a ride and you accepted it. You didn't pay me anything." AND?

I'll just say... we just had the same thing happen in the DC area where I'm from. The same people saying the same things... it's illegal and they can't operate here. Local taxi drivers staging protests.

The gov't issued an order and told Uber to cease operations. They didn't. They're still here and still operating.

They're using the same model everywhere. It's not like Vegas is the only taxi authority to oppose Uber and ride sharing services. They oppose ride sharing everywhere but it's working, it's here to stay, and spreading like wild-fire.

Either embrace it, move out of the way, or get run over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.