1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rant...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by VegasMarv, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasMarv

VegasMarv Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My job is very stressful and hectic. I look forward to my two Vegas excursions each year. I look forward to them because I know when I'm in Vegas there are no conference calls, go do's, spur of the moment stuff that has to get done, whiny employees, visits from upper management etc. So when it gets close for me to take my trip, I pray to the "employment gods" that something doesn't come up that is going to piss me off and pressure me before I go. I just want to get on the plane Thursday with a clear mind and conscience, have fun in Vegas and unwind for a few days. Then today arrived. Today, I found out I have a "visit" from upper management this Thursday. I leave Thursday. I leave for Vegas Thursday. Something like this happens every time a plan a trip to Vegas. I am ranting I know, but it really pisses me off. I can never have a smooth transition to my vacations...

Thanks for listening.:grrr:

2. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Call in sick[emoji15]

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll still make the plane? I hope so. Start drinking as soon as you're seated. Heck, start drinking on the way to the airport.

Bill

4. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just want to say A-FREAKin-MEN to this post! I swear, it is inevitable that something ALWAYS seems to happen when I'm supposed to go to Vegas. Last time it was an unannounced surprise week-long inspection of my worksite that kept me in the office until 8pm every night the week I was supposed to leave. I left for my trip on Thursday evening and missed getting the results on Friday and had to have a co-worker call me and tell me the outcome while I was by the pool. I will say though...enough pina coladas and the write-ups don't seem to hurt quite as bad. :wink2:

5. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It doesn't matter the nature of your work every job has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Personally I don't have surprises in my workload, Instead, as an independent contractor I have limited notice of when or how long I will have time off. Try planning your trips on less than a days notice and see how those airline costs jump. Or sometimes I end up sitting around in town for weeks on end waiting on a big project that is going to start any day now that I can't risk missing since it will be a third to half my years earnings. The nature of this type of work is I generally have a good amount of money in the bank or time off but rarely do I have both.

Out of curiosity when your boss books time off does he or she give a crap about whats going on in his absence or is the work delegated and organized to underlings and the results will be dealt with when the vacation is over?

6. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look at the silver lining, at least you can disconnect when you are in Vegas! I retired Feb 1 of this year...on our trip Dec '13 before I retired, my hubby made up a slide show of me on my Blackberry working and showed it friends who all commented on how I always had a different outfit on so I spent way too much time working. Ahhhhhhhhhh, retirement is good!

7. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice! Congrats, Breanna!

I am looking forward to retirement - come on 12 more years!!!

8. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally feel your pain. I go through exactly the same thing. There is always going to be some type of disaster right before I go - no matter how proactive I try to be. Get through it - and have a GREAT trip!

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uh-huh, last time the night before I didn't get out of the office until after 7:00pm and I had not even started to pack!

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. Be grateful you have a job that allows you to afford two trips to Las Vegas each year.

2. Think of all the people not as lucky as you.

3. Stop stressing over things beyond your control.

4. Think that perhaps upper management is visiting to give you a huge Attaboy and offer you a promotion.

5. When you finally get to Vegas, forget about the frickin' job, unless you are a control freak who will be checking in on the lap top every few hours to try and catch someone fucking off.

6. Have fun!:drunk:

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    VERY wise and true words spoken here!

12. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

A similiar experience ---
    My Boss will increase my workload before every vacation --
    as if I'm leaving the job for a several weeks.
    Always - I'm only taking FOUR DAYS vacation time!!!!!
    ( combined w/ a 3 day holiday weekend = Memorial weekend or Labor day weekend ).
    It's really not fair.
    And it is not done to clerical staff.......I'm building + grounds dept.
    I stopped putting in for vacation time ( ahead of time , as you are suppose to because of this.)
    I just say "Oh, my wife's schedule changed at the last minute."
    You should have seen the look of dissapointment on the boss' face ! HAH !
    And then I get a lecture.
    * Just because I'm taking 4 days off ? !?!?!....the crap I have to go thru.
    What I would love to do -- is just tell the truth !!
    "You dumb @ss.....I'm missing 4 days ! NOT 2 WEEKS !!"

13. Jameezy

Jameezy RIP Riviera

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even if not work related, something always tends to happen. In July I lost 1 of my house keys the day before I went to vegas. It's always something.

14. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha. I couldn't tell if I wrote that post or my wife.

Hey maybe management is giving you a HUGE bonus which means extra cash for the trip. :beer:

15. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Understand completely.....they want to get that last ounce of blood out of you before they let you loose....there was always an "emergency" the day before my trip. Once, my boss, a senior executive told me I would need to cancel & reschedule my vacation......WHAT? Am I the only one that can handle "your" mess? Isn't that what you get paid to do? Well, the President got wind that she basically threatened me & he stepped in. NO WAY....you approved her date & now you will deal with it! WOW....my staff & I were impressed. My staff saved the day because the were trained to do so...even taught her a few things. I left for LV and disconnected myself from those issues.

Breeze is right though.....I am now retired but very thankful that I had that great job for so many years and the company was so generous in their 401K match, I was able to retire with the same income (deposits) as when I was working. Not the same amount earned as I no longer pay all the taxes & have 15 % taken out for retirement. I am one happy gal... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.