1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bus from McCarran to Strip?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dcpartygirl, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcpartygirl

dcpartygirl Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey guys!

Is there a city bus that takes you from the airport to the strip? I will be in Vegas from October 13-16 and staying at Mandalay Bay. I was thinking about walking from the airport to the hotel but my flight will be landing at 9:30 that night and I don't know how safe it will be to walk that far in the dark. I know there's the shuttle and cabs but was really trying to keep things cost effective plus the hotel isn't that far from the airport.

Also, would I be able to purchase a 3-day bus pass at the airport?

Thanks for your help.

2. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take the WAX ($2 or $1 for seniors) to NYNY, cross over Tropicana to Excalibur and walk through to MB. If WAX times don't work out, you can also take the 108 or 109N to Tropicana Ave. and transfer to the 201 to the NYNY stop. If you do that, buy a 2-hour pass when boarding. Personally, I'd wait on the WAX. Check out schedules at www.rtcsnv.com Sorry, I don't know about the 3-day pass, but the info will be on the RTC site. Have fun!

Whoops! I forgot that Luxor is between Excalibur and MB. DUH! You can take the free tram when you get into Excalibur that will take you fast and easy to MB. Beats hauling luggage.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  3. jh46

jh46 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, if you can make the WAX bus, catch that one. Get off at NYNY like Turtleman said, but since I am lazy, I suggest instead of walking all the way from Excalibur to Mandalay Bay, to catch the free express tram at the Excalibur to MB. Very quick, easy, and cheap. I did it in April myself and highly recommend it.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, coming from the Airport, the WAX drops you off behind MGM Grand. And unfortunately, you'll be arriving so late, the next WAX bus will be at 10:18pm, and by the time you would get to the Excalibur tram, it will be closed for the night (closes at 10:30pm).

5. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The WAX does have a (not so popular) stop near the back of MGM, but the next stop is definitely at NYNY, which is the one to use if going to Excalibur on the way to MB!

6. jh46

jh46 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My flight was on a Friday night and I caught that 10:18 WAX bus but I also caught the express tram too. Maybe I got lucky and caught the last one then??

7. Dewey089

Dewey089 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought the Excalibur to Mandalay Bay tram ran 24 hours
    http://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/referenceguide-transportationdetail.cfm?transportid=48&map=shuttlemap.cfm?showmap=freetrams.jpg
    My call to Mandalay Bay says this info from LVA is incorrect and Tringlomane's warning of the closing of that tram is correct. They said the tram stopped at 11PM. That would make it pretty tight, but explains the experience of jh46

You can catch a strip bus from near where the WAX drops and that will get you to Mandalay from NYNY area.
    http://www.rtcsnv.com/wp-content/uploads/routes/2013/SDX(07-07-13).pdf

I don't like going on the 108 or 109 North with luggage late at night and then catching the Tropicana bus way out away from most tourist areas. And that would mean three buses to Mandalay Bay. From that same airport stop you can take the 109 South to the South Strip transfer station where there are other people and plenty of buses and probably a security guard, and you can get on a strip bus there (Deuce or SDX depending on time of day) and it will get you to Mandalay Bay fairly quickly. (see those routes in link above) At the transfer station there are machines for buying 3 day bus passes if you find that you can't get one right at McCarran in the machine there.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2014
  8. dcpartygirl

dcpartygirl Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks dewey! I will probably just cab it over to the hotel. It will probably be quicker that way.

9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would definitely do this. Times are too tight for you to bother with buses and trams, imo. The fare won't be too bad as long as you remind them not to take "the tunnel".

10. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can always take the WAX back to save money as long as you're leaving during normal times. It's a great hidden secret in Las Vegas. Cheap, quick, and comfortably air conditioned.

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A cab should be under $15. Quick. Easy. Safe.

Buses and any kind of walking after 10pm does not sound like a good way to start your trip. Walking, even in the daytime would still be a hike. See this map

12. franco802

franco802 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember my first time in Vegas, I got charged $44 for a cab from the airport to NYNY.

13. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just one more reason why I prefer the bus now. Too many stories of long hauling and getting ripped off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.