1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

California Beach Tips Wanted!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by MUFC, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm planning on taking a trip to California in July 2015 in order to get some quality beach time in before taking a road trip to Vegas, so can anyone tell me which beaches I must visit? There seems to be too many amazing ones to choose from!!

My plan is to fly into LA and spend one or two nights in Santa Monica, then head South towards San Diego stopping anywhere along the way, so any tips on good beaches in these areas would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!

2. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Do you want scenic beaches, or nice beach to walk/play on and good surf for water sports or hanging in the water? I will say that the water will be cold.

3. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well my girlfriend is one for sunbathing but I don't have the patience for that, so I will be in and out of the water swimming, so some big waves would be fun! Not really looking for water sports although I believe La Jolla is a good spot for some snorkelling so may try that!

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In So Cal, whether you do SM and Malibu, the OC or SD beaches, you are going to get pretty much the same look, vibe and experience. So me being me, if you're already planning a dual stay in the Southland ... I'm going to suggest something a bit different. I'd do half the time in Santa Barbara because Santa Barbara is -- sorry SD -- the best beach city in California. Weather, water, compactness and accessibility, setting, food, wine, vibe, history, shopping, built environment ... SB is just a great place. Then flip south and catch La Jolla and the SD beaches.

If you do do the OC, I vote Huntington and Laguna.

(And this isn't big wave territory, btw, except for some just-off-shore breaks and during certain storm/sea conditions.)

5. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken,

Thanks for the advice I will definitely look at Santa Barbara for a few nights!

6. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The water will be cold, it's never warm, dont expect florida beaches.

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're welcome. If you head to SB and want some specific thoughts/recs, please send me a private message through this site.

8. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My vote would be (without a doubt) Hermosa beach. The Strand is amazing, restaurants are awesome, it has great bars and the beach is fantastic!

9. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've spent 55 years surfing the SoCal coast and living in her beach towns.
    If you want a picturesque beach with warmer water then La Jolla and especially Laguna will have pretty coves and water.
    In July you will need storm weather off Mexico or New Zealand for real waves but if so, then you will have your pick of beach, reef and point breaks from SD to Malibu.
    Blacks in Del Mar, Newport, Huntington, South Bay and Malibu all would work.
    For food and shops Del Mar, Hermosa, Santa Monica, and SB all have lots to choose from.
    Your plan to drive south is a good one but too bad you'll miss my old town of Santa Barbara.
    Like Ken said, it has a lot to offer.

10. SDSteve

SDSteve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Venice is quite a scene and near Santa Monica.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.