1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Can you win a jackpot on minimum bet?

Discussion in 'Slots' started by mazoom, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazoom

mazoom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually try to bet max when I can or somewhere in the middle. Just wondered if one can possibly win anything of value on a minimum bet. I have friend who is a min. bettor and never seems to win,only a few dollars . Tried to get her to bet more. Still wondered if she could actually win by min. betting.

2. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm assuming you are talking about 1 cent-5cent video slots and asking about a hand pay. Yes they can possibly win a couple hundred but not likely to hit a hand pay. With those machines, even if you are playing a max bet of 5-10x each line, even then its not likely to go over the $1200 mark and trigger a hand pay on 1 or 2 cent machines..... the max payouts for each line playing max bet is typically $20-50, maybe $100 each line of 5 of a kind.
    I would just tell your friend to play at a level she is comfortable playing, whether it is 40 cents a spin or $5 a spin. Either way don't expect too much. The payouts are gonna be relative to how much she bets for the most part.... a win of $100 is huge for someone who plays 40 cents and might be able to play all night. Where if she is playing $2.50 a spin and hits for $500 it could be gone in 20 minutes.
    I typically play max bet on whatever machine I'm playing and if someone sees me hit $500 they don't realize it cost me $600 to win that $500 and don't understand why I am not so excited..... which brings me back to the point. I would explain to your friend that they aren't likely to hit hundreds on a machine playing min bet but if they are having fun, that's what is important.

3. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get a hand pay betting minimum. Several years back I hit a progressive on a penny machine for $1400-$1500 (I don't remember exactly) with a 30 cent bet. On this particular machine the progressive was hit by making a 1 in 10 choice in a special bonus game. The stars all had to align! I have, more normally hit for several hundred $300 to $600 on minimum or 2x bets on pennies. Yesterday, at Ellis Island, while waiting for friends to get slot cards, I put $20 in a machine with a minimum 75 cent bet (Big Bet, I know) pushed once and won $128. Lasted almost all day.

4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I posted a thread inquiring about hand pays with minimum bets and was surprised of the number of replies.
    Hell, I do max bet and it was only until this past trip that I received my first hand pay.
    Is it possible, yes, but significant hits and hand pays will be more rare than someone who does play max bet.

5. SoCalMon

SoCalMon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes you can win a jackpot at any bet. Not all machines list their progressives for every bet level. Quick Hit for example only list what you get at max bet. Titan 360 is an example of one that lists all the progressives at every bet level to know what you will get based on what you are betting. Games that say "hit by" like king of africa and mystical unicorn can be hit at any bet regardless. Same with Beat the Field, mystical temple, dragons victory, and pirates loot, you get the same amount regardless of what you are betting. All machines are different. I think Buffalo Stampede is the same way as beat the field too where it does not matter what you are betting, you get the amount that is listed on the progressive.

As far as the chances being greater on most machines for hitting the jackpot, I don't think what you are betting matters. Maybe a few machines gives you better chances based on what you are betting, but I think most hit when ready regardless of the bet. I think hitting the jackpot is just random. I have seen people while walking by at max bet on beat the field hit the maxi and I have seen people also hit the maxi betting minimum bet.

6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a few different answers to this question, the easiest one is: it depends on the machine.

Somebody mentioned "Quick Hits" already: on the Quick Hits machines you can't win one of the progressive jackpots unless you are betting max.

Thats pretty common on machines with progressive jackpots, especially wide area ones (IE: Megabucks - you can't win Megabucks unless you are betting the max $3 per spin).

But not all machines with progressive jackpots require max bet to win: the Life of Luxury progressive jackpot system from WMS lets you bet from 30 cents to $2.40 per spin. The more you bet the better your chances of winning a progressive jackpot, but you can win the top jackpot (usually in the $1000-1600 range) on a 30 cent bet. I've won it twice and my wife has won it once (the top jackpot) and each time was on a 90 cent spin (30 lines at 3 credits per line).

And then with most other video slots the amount won is relative to your wager: on the G+ series of machines from WMS (their golden age of machines) the top prize is usually 10,000 credits if you get 5 of the logo or wild symbol in a row, and that is multiplied by your credits bet per line. In those cases the machines usually allow a min bet of 1 credit per line up to a max of 10 credits per line so that means the top prize on those machines is $1000.00 - not enough to trigger a hand pay. But again, all relative to your bet size: if you were betting 1 credit per line and got 5 wild symbols in a row you win $100... if you were betting 5 per line you would win $500, and 10 per line would have won $1000 - the amount won is in direct proportion to your wager, so betting bigger doesn't really get you anything more.

And thats the thing with most video slots: most of them the top prize is going to be in the 80,000 to 110,000 credits (if you bet max) so in their case they can't reach that magic level of $1200 where a hand pay is triggered. Some of the newer more volatile slots can though: I've seen 40 cent bets on some of the new high volatility machines win a few hundred dollars if you get something like a screen full of the top symbol. its why a lot of people like that "Buffalo" game: if you bet $1.20 per spin (40 lines at 3 credits per line) it is possible, with a whole lot of luck, to actually win over $2000

In the end the big thing is: if you are playing a machine with a progressive jackpot then you need to check the requirements to win that jackpot. If it says you must play max then you either should play max bet or you should move on and find something else to play if thats too much for you. Otherwise for the most part any prizes won are all just relative to your wager: you bet more and you win more, but in the end its all the ratio if you think of it in terms of "betting units" like a prize that wins $3.00 on a 30 cent bet has won you 10 betting units. If you were betting 90 cents then you would have won $9.00, which is the same 10 betting units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.