1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

SWA boarding

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by grosx2, Sep 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I somehow forgot to purchase early bird for my flight tomorrow (I always buy this for every flight). I didn't realize this until I checked in today to see my boarding position. I freaked out when it said B57, frantically checked my email and credit card statement, and discovered that I had indeed neglected to add EB.

So my first question is, will I still be able to get an aisle seat with B57? (I'm flying solo so it wouldn't need to have an empty middle seat by it). And if you don't think I'll be able to get an aisle seat, do they still offer paid upgrades at the gate? I know I've read about this in the past. Thanks...

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe. It all depends on how many people boarding ahead of you are groups sitting together and, thus, taking up middle seats. A couple times I have gotten my preferred window seat with an early C or late B boarding pass, but not always

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  3. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If all the A 1-15 are not taken they will sell upgrades at the gate. You may want to put your name on the list, they go in order for selling them. $40 is what they charge. I have done it twice.

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would seem b57 is. Ckose to 2/3rds so maybe if all is fair....2 middle seats per row 2 aisle 2 window..... it could be close!

5. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah B57 will be tough for window or aisle me thinks. If it is important - just pay the $40 and you get on first, well aside from the 20 preboarders and their family

6. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buying at the airport is way more expensive for some reason?

7. Wezvidz

Wezvidz High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, "some reason"? Simple supply and demand.

8. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly SWA almost exclusively and I enjoy observing human nature. For some reason many people insist on sitting next to their traveling companions. You would be surprised how many people will voluntarily take a middle seat, just because they want to sit next to their companion for an hour or two. Maybe they are children traveling with an adult. Maybe they are elderly. Or maybe they are in love and can't imagine not being able to rub elbows for an hour or two. (Oh, the horror of being temporarily separated! LOL).

Then, there are a few who would rather sit in the middle seat of the first few rows, or the exit rows, than to be relegated to the back of the plane.

Whatever the reason, some people boarding before you will voluntarily sit in a middle seat.

Assuming that 25% of the people boarding before you will voluntarily occupy a middle seat, this leaves approximately 40+ available window and aisle seats when you board. Assuming aisle seats are more popular than windows (and I'm not sure they are), then approximately 25% of those available 40 seats would be aisles at the time you board. If I had to take a guess, there will be about 10 aisles seats left, mostly in the last 5 rows. I would head straight for the back and take the first aisle seat I come across. If for some reason, there are no aisles, there will surely be some window seats back there.

If the upgrade is available and you have your heart set on an aisle seat, toward the front of the plane, take the upgrade. If you are willing to sit in the back or if the $40 is precious to you, skip it. I'm taking a lot of guesses here. This is just my $.02. Good luck!

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always take the window and middle so we can watch our dvd player, and oh yea, we are still in love!

10. ND80

ND80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe people like sitting next to each other so that they have someone they know to talk to and not some stranger babbling about nonsense. I do not find it weird that people want to sit next to each other. A middle seat isn't so bad.

11. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, most of us don't have flights that are only an hour or two.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with that. Most of ours are 4+ hours.

13. ND80

ND80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So true. Having just returned Im glad my wife wanted to sit next to me for that 4 1/2-5 hour trip

14. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife likes aisle seats in the rear half of the plane, I always grab a window seat as close to the front as possible, and oh yea, we are still in love too! :)

15. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't find it odd that folks like to sit next to each other, either. And those of us looking for a window or an aisle are sincerely glad that some people will take a middle seat voluntarily. To the OP, as you can see, I was correct that some people who board before you will take a middle seat, leaving at least a few aisles seats available when you board.

16. Motorcat

Motorcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FWIW ........... we like aisle seats just across from each other. We usually find those fairly close up front no matter when we board. Great for deboarding as we can stand side by side and grab our bags for an easy exit.

Flown so much that a window is not a big deal - I'll take a window if I have to but I'd rather not be boxed in. 5 hours sitting kills my back - I like to be able to stand every once and awhile without making everybody in my row shuffle.

17. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I learned something in this post... though I fly SWA 15-20 times a year now, almost always on a business-select ticket, board early, sit in the first 6 rows and really don't know much about what goes on behind me. I initially didn't think the OP had much of shot... I'm now convinced otherwise.

18. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you know that the seats in the first three rows (and the last three rows) are 1 inch narrower than the rest? (17-inches vs. 18-inches) I never sit in rows 1-3, if I can help it. I'll take the extra inch, thanks. :peace:

19. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't know that... and believe me... I need the inch+!!!!

I almost always grab the window seat in row 4 on the left side as you walk down the aisle. I learned a long time ago to look at the planes "ribs" (I call them). You never want a window seat where the rib is where your should will be... lose some inches there as well.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not doubting you, but do you have a source to site before I pass this on to family members?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.