1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best Beer States

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as they continue to export we can deal with it...

3. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the most accurate internet lists I've ever seen, although I'd probably bump NY up to five (but I really like Sixpoint's Resin DIPA and Ommegang's BIPA, so there's my bias). I'm proud of Texas' #20, because ten years ago it would have been in the 40s. I hate that they mentioned Shiner and Lonestar, but Jester King is definitely legit..and unique among craft breweries by focusing solely on wild yeast brews, love me some sours.

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They did weight significant "macro" beer contributions too. Missouri is overrated at #11 thanks to Anheuser-Busch. It doesn't help that I think Boulevard or Schlafly is nothing special either (exception: Schlafly Pumpkin Ale). Had a St. Louis local last night "4 Hands Divided Sky Rye IPA" that was very good, better than I expected.

I would personally rate California #1, every beer I try from there seems to be near "the best I've ever had" category. I've had good stuff from Oregon for sure as well, but less "blow me away" stuff. Man, can't wait for TAG Lounge next week!!!

5. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I though you were going to ask for our opinions. Oregon was my vote.

6. progrocker2112

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TAG Lounge is indeed a legit beer drinking destination, as well as awesome for sports watching. Not too expensive for the strip as well.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in CA, lived in Oregon and still visit often. Hell, I have the Bend Ale Trail app on my phone.

From my experiences they are certainly at the top but then again I've not sampled across all 50 let alone deeply so I'd say mine is a biased guess at least supported by some third-party evidence.

8. progrocker2112

Trips to Las Vegas:
    West Coast definitely led the way, rest of country has breweries that rival the best, just not in such numbers. Your bias is justified.

9. lowsmith

lowsmith Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thrilled to see North Carolina toward the top (though I would have liked to see it even higher).

I live in the High Country (Western mountains) north east of Asheville and we are finally getting some local breweries that are outstanding.

Appalachian Mountain Brewery here in town is winning all kinds of awards.

BTW we will be having the 7th annual High Country Beer Fest here in Boone this weekend (hcbeerfest.com) if anyone is in the area

Cheers

10. koltunowicz

koltunowicz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Proud to be a Michigander reading this list.

11. HotDamn

HotDamn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed CA should be #1 just on Russian river, Alpine, and Beachwood alone. Throw in Stone. Green Flash. Ballast Point. Lagunitas. Bear Republic. Etc... Can't beat that.

Also for IPA drinkers be careful of out dated beers at TAG. They have some really old bottles for not being open that long.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  12. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dammit...I'm an IPA (more Double IPA) drinker!! I've noticed my go-to craft beer stores having ancient things on the shelves at times. If it has dust on the bottle, I typically avoid it. Ironically, I'm drinking a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat right now with a best by Oct. 2013 date because I was an idiot at Sam's Club. They will sell old beer too. One location was selling Rebel IPA for $7.46 a 12-pack?!?!?! because the drink by date was that month. Fortunately this Cherry Wheat from last year is still decent. Not the case with every out-of-date beer... :(

13. HotDamn

HotDamn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah some beers are fine but the IPAs are tough. In June they still had green flash west coast IPA with the old labels so that was a dead giveaway. I had a Union Jack there that was old (past the suggest drink by date per firestone walker website) but still was okay. Prices are good though. Like $8 for a bomber of Ruination. $7.46 for a 12pk isn't a bad deal at all especially if it was within the same "drink by" month.

Too bad yardhouse right there doesn't have video poker.

14. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bend Ale Trail app? What's that, a directory of Bend Ale watering holes?

A guy at Hopping Frog explained to me that some higher quality, I suppose higher alcohol beers actually benefit from aging, up to a point. So (assuming it can also travel), send us your best.

15. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This list is interesting. It looks like it's based on what beers are brewed in each state. As a consumer, I'd be interested in a ranking based on what beers are available in each state.

16. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have flipped the top 2 spots based on San Diego alone, but the rest of the list is pretty spot-on.

17. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a problem with the rankings myself particularly the rating of Texas higher than Oklahoma, I have drank many beers from each state and no way does Texas come close plus they used Prairie as the Oklahoma example and while they do make a couple of great brews they are really a three trick pony with 20 beers with the main difference being the barrels they are aged in, Roughtail or Coop are far better and creative brewers with a much better price point as well. Prairie is flat out over priced for what you get.I can agree with several as well who have said 1 and 2 should be reversed.

18. progrocker2112

Trips to Las Vegas:
  19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saying 1 should be 2 or 15 should actually be 14 is a bit like saying which 12-0 CFB teams that didn't play each other is "best." And that's the beauty of this kinda stuff. It is personal and subjective, and particularly for those who've not sampled the entire field.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's an interesting approach. I'd guess California would clearly hit #1 in that category and by a long shot given the in-state options (sheer numbers), the bordering-states options (and dominance), the regional-states options (and dominance), our rather lax liquor distribution regs, our wealth and our largest-in-the-nation population.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.