1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Question?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Red&BlackSmoke, Aug 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red&BlackSmoke

Red&BlackSmoke Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone ever had a flight that is cheaper to continue on from Vegas than just to Vegas. From Lubbock to Phoenix it is 161 roundtrip but Lubbock to Vegas is 173. The problem is the layover to Phoenix is in Vegas on the same direct flight. So could I book the Phoenix trip and not get on the plane??? So if I am not clear on the situation.

2. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny how it works out that way. If you're traveling one-way, I say go for it. If you're traveling round-trip, you may have to get two one-way tickets instead where the return trip originates in Vegas. Because if you have a round-trip where the return is from Phoenix, and you don't board there, they won't let you on in Vegas. In that case you may only save 6 bucks, and it may not be worth it.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read this 4 times and still not sure what you are saying.

Why would you not get on the plane - or are you saying to you would get on the connection?

Would you really mess around to save $12?

If you decide to get off the plane in Vegas and not connect to Phoenix - they will cancel your return trip. So, one ways are the way to go. Again, for $12?

And, be aware of this. You bought a ticket to Vegas. It is SCHEDULED to connect in Vegas. If they have some flight issues, they could put you on another flight that does not go to Vegas.

4. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the last paragraph I'm sure the writer meant to write, "You bought a ticket to Phoenix." But this is a very good point. Unforeseen issues may have them put you on a flight that doesn't go to Vegas.

5. mdlee3_46041

mdlee3_46041 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you book Lubbock to Vegas to Phoenix and a return of Phoenix to Vegas to Lubbock and miss the Vegas to Phoenix flight, the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled. Obviously, this can be avoided if you book 2 one way tickets. You don't want to make a habit of it though even if you do it that way. There is something in the contract of carriage that forbids this and I believe that if they want to force the issue, they can change you the difference in airfare and/or penalize your frequent flier account. Most airlines don't do either one, but it is in the CoC that they possibly could. Also, if you book for Phoenix and check a bag, that bag will be checked through to Phoenix so it never works with checked bags.

My recommendation is to just book for where you actually want to go. Don't book a flight to Phoenix that has a layover in Vegas with the intention of just going to Vegas. What happens if they change the flight and all of a sudden it has a layover in Los Angeles instead? It's rare for SWA to make a change like that, but as Aces and Eights pointed out, you could have some type of issue that results in you being put on a different flight than you originally booked and that flight may not have the same layover.

6. Red&BlackSmoke

Red&BlackSmoke Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. I actually need to go to Phoenix for this trip, just thought it was odd that the flight is cheaper to go to Phoenix than to Vegas when you change plans in Vegas. In the future Vegas trips I will always just book the direct flight to Vegas when thats where I am going.

7. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is called "Hidden city ticketing", and Southwest USED to explicity allow it with this in their T & C's:

With respect to all of our fares, Southwest Airlines does not prohibit or penalize what is
    commonly known as “hidden city” ticketing, nor does it prohibit or penalize what is
    commonly known as “back to back” ticketing. “Hidden city” and “back to back”
    reservations and tickets are authorized for travel on Southwest Airlines. It is important to
    note that your luggage will be checked to the final destination shown on your ticket.
    Should you choose to deplane at a stopover or connection point, you will be responsible
    for making arrangements to have your luggage delivered to you. Southwest will not
    entertain a lost or delayed baggage claim or interim expenses in this circumstance

While this is no longer in their T & C's, there is nothing that forbids, or even addresses it at all anymore either. I just booked (4) SEA-SAN with a stop in LAS for $67. About 1/2 price at current fares. I just wish it worked the other direction as well.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.