1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jaywalking Against A Green Light ......Why ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Is this some new trend ?
    I'm witnessing it while I walk.....and while driving --- alot more than ever before.
    It crosses all age groups, too.
    I had a woman pushing a baby carriage -- she wasn't
    going to stop !
    I slowed down to a crawl - with my window open - I yelled out
    "Are you nutz !? "
    I was driving down a hill -- had a green light --
    a woman walking her dog crosses the street under the green light -
    I'm getting closer + closer and she SLOWS DOWN her walk + doesn't even
    LOOK at me.
    As i drive by I honk.....( my 2 yr old son laughs out loud "Da-da honked !" ):evillaugh
    the woman flips the bird + I flip it back......up high - near the car roof where my son
    wouldn't see it.
    I was walking up the street -- a guy is stompin' at a fast gate -- right into the crosswalk
    and then only stops as the car came right at him ....fast !
    So, I was discussing this with my wife.
    #1.....Some people don't know the crosswalk rule....or care ?
    #2....."Go ahead + hit me...I'll sue you !"
    These were the two things we came up with.
    #2......just shows how stupid people can be ---
    Do they actually think they would "make money" from getting hit ?
    Try and actually get paid even if they did win in court ?.....probably not.
    And all of that money is gonna go for your current + future hospital bills.
    Your body never to fully recover for the rest of your entire life.
    And yesterday.....two school kids......thank god the first car at the green light saw them.
    What the hell is going on ?

2. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People think pedestrians have the right of way, which they do sometimes. What they don't realize is some people don't stop. I have all the Vegas TV stations on my smartphone and I bet I get 10 alerts a week of pedestrians getting nailed by cars.

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've mentioned this before, but in Vegas, that crossover between Mirage and Harrah's, wow, I have seen some insane shit there with people crossing against the light.

4. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO, people cross on a red, walk into the ped crossing without stopping, etc because they are self centered and think the world should stop for them. Some of them are just stupid. The car is going to win every time.

The type of pedestrians racing across the red light in Vegas are likely the same ones blowing their horns when someone is in their way. I sympathize with the driver trying to turn with these idiots in the way.

5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NY outer boroughs and LV have something in common. Wide 4 lane boulevards with agressive drivers waiting for the light to change. Not good for kids and older folks.

6. samanthaelizabeth

samanthaelizabeth Low-Roller

Yes, I have seen it there too. (The crossover between Mirage and Harrah's).....

7. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people think drivers will always slow down and never hit them. And that they can cavalierly jaywalk or walk against a light.

Most rational and alert drivers will not hit a pedestrian no matter how in the wrong they are. They will spew expletives with hand-gesturing with frustration, but drive on.

But one day or one instance a driver could be distracted (or not care) and . . . .

8. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I remember the whole "cross on the green" thing used to confuse me when I was a kid because I would look at the light for the street I was crossing and cross when it was red. I used to wonder why anyone would look at the other light for the street they weren't crossing. Even now I still don't really get it.

My old neighborhood where I grew up had a lot of Hasidic Jews. The men dress in all black and they walk a lot. I came so close to hitting people on dark streets when they were crossing. I think people forget how hard it is for someone in a car to see you when you're dressed in dark clothes on a dark street. You shouldn't just assume the driver sees you and will stop.

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, Queens Blvd. is one of the most dangerous streets, about 10 lanes wide and you always hear of someone getting plowed down. Yes, there are occasions where cars drive too fast, its not just pedestrians.

But to the OP's point, I think it is an entitlement mentality, I have actually heard a young person say that if they get hit by a car, it will be a lawsuit. So, instead of thinking about force = mass x acceleration, the mindset is "hit me and I'll sue your butt".

10. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another bad spot is the parking entrance for Ballys and Paris.

11. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think many people have a hard time judging time and distance, I notice myself when people do a right turn on red and pull out in front of me. By any chance do you tend to drive a little fast?:poke:

12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see it more and more... people are NUTS!

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are a dumbed-down, me-first society.

14. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not the end of the world to jaywalk...and it's not the end of the world if they get hit either. If you keep going all-in, sooner or later you will lose.

15. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

In the town where I work --
    There is a very local "news rag" -- just doing only the town news ---
    On the website - they posted a video feed from a village camera -- that caught a jaywalker
    getting CREAMED by a taxi.
    You can see the jaywalker look down the street - step into the street with a coffee in hand --
    and then suddenly all you see is a black cab go thru the picture screen.
    The jaywlker was just GONE.
    We were discussing it at work........and figured the jaywalker must have thought the
    cab saw her ( "He sees me...he'll stop ").......so she kept walking....illegally.
    We also think the cabbie was probably involved "electronically" with some device -
    distracted - and didn't notice her.
    This is something these jaywalkers should consider.

16. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Crossing the Strip from the Quad to Caesars is bad. The WALK signal comes on at the same time the drivers are given a left turn arrow to exit Caesars. What moron designed this?

I've had to run back to the corner when fast moving cars were honking at me. I'd rather be in one piece than right.

Next trip I'll check if they've changed this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.