1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I just posted a 78

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And I had two doubles on the card, too.

:thumbsup:

2. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good job Ken!! :beer:

3. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great Ken. And a 78 too, made it by an extra stroke.

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Time to refigure Ken's handicap....

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hit a 69 once. Toughest Par 3, 9 hole course I ever seen.

6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Way to go Ken, keep up the good work . Simple game isnt it? They could have monkeys out there playing it. Lately this monkey's game has gone kind of sour again,if I break 80 again this summer it will be a miracle.

7. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congratulations Ken!

later, GVJ

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Big deal, I break that score all the time for 9.:evillaugh No, seriously, nice going.:thumbsup:

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You know, jersey, when you get down to it it really is. It sounds trite but it was just kinda zen yesterday. Good front and my back is going great when I double an easy par 5 at 14 then blow my drive way right on 15. So I went over there, hit 7i back into play, then jammed a gap wedge in where I had at least a makable putt, which I made. It was just kinda like that. Good group of friends, lotsa lightness and quips, we do not get all worked up about order of play or whether someone is talking during a swing. Just friends having fun at a sport.

I tally plenty of 9s that belie my 15/16 index -- 38s, 39s, 40s -- but I'm a 15/16 index because I always piss the other away.

I give credit to the new Winn grips. Nice and soft, and I don't choke the life out of 'em. All starts (and mostly ends) with (excessive) grip pressure!

10. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I regripped last year with some soft Winns. The ad on eBay said they were for seniors, but I really didn't care, they are awesome.

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played cord forever. But when we moved up here, away from the desert heat, they had to go. (I don't wear a glove.) They were just too hard and not tacky enough. I tried several options and just kept on coming back to the Dri-Tac. Terri's played them for several years.

12. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice round Ken! Somehow I managed to shoot 39 the other day in league while losing two balls. Luckily both were lateral hazards and I hit both of them within 10 feet and nailed the par putts. I took a KP away from a teammate of mine also that round, he was in the group ahead of me and hit it to 8' and I hit it to 6'.

13. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great round, ken! Where was this? I know you're on the Central Coast, but what courses are in your local rotation?

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Village Country Club. I mostly play at La Purisima. Actually, I play most of my golf on the road but locally it's LP followed by the club. I'll play on the base once in a while as most of my playing partners up here are current/retired A.F. Sandpiper, Rancho San Marcos and then the sporadic drive up to Paso for Hunter Ranch.

Indexes recalculated this morning and to prove how lousy I've been playing, that one round dropped my index 1.1 points.

15. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    La P! Nice option for your "home" course! I've only played it once, last summer on a Central Coast road trip. Loved it and look forward to returning, hopefully on a nice, sunny day instead of a dreary morning.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ummm, most every day starts dreary here. lol And beware what you wish for, right about noon the wind comes ripping through. You'd think I'd learn to hit a low ball, but no! You gotta head back -- and give me a nod when you do -- the new owners are really doing a lot to bring LP back to have conditioning to match the awesome routing. Where else did you tee it up on that trip? (I'm writing (another) Central Coast golf road trip piece for Southland Golf Magazine. It will be in the August issue.)

17. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I was first off the tee right when they opened and didn't expect clear skies, but it would be nice to see that beautiful course under a blue sky.

The trip wasn't a golf trip, just a family road trip, so the only other golf I fit in was Black Horse in Seaside. (Gotta get back there to play Bayonet, too.)

(I used to write for Southland Golf many years ago before I burned my bridge by not following through with a freelance article they assigned me. I still hate that I did that to this day. I want to say it was under a different title at that time, though – late '90s/early 2000s?)

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good tough play, as you know. Bends all over the place, wicked narrow in spots, not a helluva lot of flat lies. I was talking to Damian Pascuzzo a while back about him getting a crack at re-tweaking the place. Don't think he's received the call but it would be cool if they tap him.

You been to Poppy since the recent re-do? What about San Juan Oaks and CordeValle on the inland side?

I have no clue what Southland might've been back then. You probably know the Register owns Southland now.

19. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, the August issue should be out soon no? I always enjoy your articles. Drugs for a junkie.
    I played San Juan Oaks a couple years ago. Freddie's input there was not as diabolical as at The Plantation.
    Our Bandon Caddies, who are scratch and a 4, did a trip down through California all the way to San Diego and raved about CordeValle.
    You and I will almost play heads up unless you bang out a couple more 78's. Of course at LP I'd need 4 from you.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    'bu, in the immortal words of Judge Smales: "You'll get nothing and you'll like it!"

July hit a day or two ago. Gracias.

We'll ferret Rich out of Santa Clarita, get you guys up here for some wine and LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.