1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

June 8-12 R&R

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by mistermoe, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistermoe

mistermoe Low-Roller

My Trip Report

Went to Vegas for a few days to clear my head and hopefully get in a little relaxation. Went with a co-worker, his wife, and her aunt.Co-worker and I are Special Ed teachers grade 9-12. and really needed a serious break. They have been trying to get me away for a few days every since my dad passed in November 2010. Finally "Got Away"! I just want to share a few highlights:

Travel: Departed Hou 10 minutes late at 6:40am. Smooth flight, funny crew and arrived in Vegas on time. Shuttle to rental center and pick up Dodge Avenger from Dollar for $89 all in for four days. Smooth ride, cold ac, and classic rock on the radio! Trouble free return to rental center day before departure. Don't like to deal with it on last morning. Got a Limo service ride in a SUV to airport for $18 Flat Fee to airport. uneventful flight back to Houston and arrived 10 minutes early. spent ten minutes waiting for gate. Figures. Interesting note, I have never had flights with all men and one woman flight attendants. 3 males going out and two male/one woman on return. Just an observation.

Hotel: Hilton Grand vacations at the Flamingo--One of their time share places. friends are elite members and got a two room suite. Both rooms are separate and have one main entrance but separate entrances to each room. Small rooms but clean and comfy.

Gambling:
    Blackjack: Went to Binions Tuesday evening and played at the only 3:2 Blackjack Double deck table $10 minimum, dealer hit soft 17, no double after splits. Had Ms.Connie as dealer and she was very funny and interacted with us. Lots of fun. I bought in for $60 and walked with $135 after 2hrs. Just kept riding the roller coaster and could not hit big($25-$50) bets. returned Wednesday and bought in for $50 and walked with $170 after 2hrs. Terrible dealer that complained the whole time. She had a head ache, they were short staffed, and she kept accusing the guy immediately to my left of counting cards. She was really sweating the money. The guy had been sitting there for several hours before we got there. She colored him up twice while we were there for a total of $1100 to reduce his stacks. The pit boss was cool about it and told her the guys upstairs were watching. Just about the time I started to build up my small stack, they would not let us bet$10 on one hand and then $50 on the next. Keep us from counting cards. I have no idea about counting and i'm sure the guy next to me was not either. She was sweating it big time. She complained to pit boss again. At the shuffle, they brought in the cooler and I colored up. He killed the table for two or three shuffles. She comes back and here we go ont the roller coaster. I colored up again and just helped my friends wife. She finally colored up $25. It was a fun table with some colorful characters, but the one dealer was a real killjoy!

Horses:
    Spent a few hours in the Flamingo Sports/Race Book playing the ponies. Very first race I bet on I win $100 on a $6 across the board bet. I'm learning to look for the value bet. Favorites don't really win you a lot of money and finding the horse that can pull the upset is challenging and fun. I finished plus $60 total and that's a win!

Baseball:
    Bet a $5 three team parlay Wednesday night. Games were late so had to check Thursday morning. That was my first baseball bet ever and I won $48. I still don't get the numbers, but I bet two underdogs(+) and one favorite(-).

VP:
    No bank roll for vp this trip. Starting with my next check, I will begin saving for the next trip in order to be able to play vp and higher levels of blackjack as well. Not quire at Beeejay's level or Royal Flusher's marathon runs, but enough to buy in and play at higher levels fo sho!

Show:
    Went to see Jersey Boys. It was a good show. I'm not a real Frankie V fan but the singing talent on the stage is worth the price of a ticket.

Food:
    Peppermill- Not as good as it used to be, but does the job for breakfast. Will try Bluberry Hill Pancake House next trip. (suggested by Limo Service Driver from NY on ride to airport)

Bootleggers Bistro- Extremely dark in there, but darn good Italian food at decent prices. The bread they serve before your meal was OUTSTANDING!! Not many people early evening and service was good. Kept glasses full.

The King and I Thai/Asian-- Hole in the wall on Paradise. Freshly prepared and good. Not great, but good. he one female server was very friendly, helpful, and did her job very well. No return visit!

Chicago Brewery--Downtown in Four Queens. We shared a 19" meat lovers(Canadian bacon, sausage, and pepperoni). I do not know how they make their crust, but it is DELICIOUS!! Very busy place but service was top notch! Will return!

JJ Boulangerie- In Paris on the Strip...went here after show. The BLT was the best one I have ever had. Served on warm Ciabatta bread with lettuce and marinated cherry tomatoes and a light mayo sauce. IT WAS GOOD! Will return if I am in the area.

Triple 7 Brew Pub--Main Street Station Downtown- I had fish and chips for the first time. Pretty good. Needed a little flavor, but good. Nice atmosphere and good service. Will return if in area!

Margaritaville- Flamingo--I could have skipped this place, but the $25 food vouchers swayed the decision. We had Corn & Crab Chowder (ok), Carne Asada Tacos (spicy but tender, very good), Fried Chicken Cobb Salad w/ Honey Mustard(good). No return trips!

Other:
    Pinball Hall of Fame---AWESOME & INCREDIBLE way to spend a couple of hours in Vegas. It was so much fun! I worked in a game room when I was in high school. Brought back a lot of memories. I spent most of my time playing Black Knight. I played Centipede as well. All proceeds go to Veterans charities. Love this place and will return.

We were able to take our time and never got in a hurry. I got some rest and relaxation. It's nice to be able to get away after a long school year and a long four years after my dad's passing. It's been a while since the last time I was in Vegas last and this trip was absolutely the most fun I've had in a long time! Thank you for your assistance pre-trip and for reading this not so exciting trip report!

[​IMG]

2. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report!

Liked the format -- easy to follow.

Also liked the collage of pictures.

Appreciate that you took the time and effort to do the report.

3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the Trip Report. Glad that you enjoyed yourself and had a great time! I like the collage of pictures at the end of your report.

One thing was perplexing though, but no big deal: Couldn't figure out by your evaluations of the restaurants as to why you would return to some and wouldn't for the others. All your comments were positive and the service was good on all of them.

Thanks again for the nice report!

4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting. I had some comments/questions above.

5. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    enjoyed the trip report format and photo collage.....i have this odd desire to drive to Denny's (since I can't get to Peppermill).

thanks for the report!

6. mistermoe

mistermoe Low-Roller

Margaritaville---way too loud or me and that place is always packed! 2 1/2 hours for dinner--no thanks.
    The King and I- In Vegas, there are much better options.

Atmosphere is important to me and I will return to places that are worth a return trip in my opinion for good food!

Appreciate the question!!

7. mistermoe

mistermoe Low-Roller

8. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:

Thanks! I agree atmosphere is very important. I don't care too much for loud places either. And 2 1/2 hrs. for dinner? forget that, lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.