1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

So I'm likely going to be on Pawn Stars.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by airball1996, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not as someone selling something, but as an "extra" in the background while the "deal" is taking place.

We were at the store earlier in the week, and my brother in law was browsing through what (very) little they actually had in the store related to Vegas history. He decided to purchase an old silver strike coin, when the clerk asked us if we'd be interested in being in part of the show. Okay, fine. We were given about a two page paper to sign, and were told filming would start shortly.

We thought this would be kinda cool, and what not, and be able to see how things work regarding filming of the show. Well, here's the run down.

About 30 minutes later, the handful of us (about 8-10) were told to go around the back of the store and wait for a producer to let us into a back room. We were shuffled into a look-a-like "show room floor" that was a sort of mimic of the actual store. It was smaller, but had the "desks" where the family is often filmed. We see Rick talking to someone at his desk, as we're given instructions by a young Producer. During filming, no looking at the "stars" or the people they're dealing with, no loud talking, no cell phones out, act natural :rolleyes2: yada yada yada.... Basically we were instructed to wander through the "store" and pretend like we were actually shopping. (but don't pass this imaginary line where they're filming!) :nono:

And then the filming started. What a joke. Rick wanders over to his spot while scanning over notes on the item for sale through his iphone. When the cameras are rolling, the Producers are calling out for what verbiage the "actors" need to spurt out. "Okay, Rick, now ask where you got it?" This goes on for a while. It took about 20 minutes to film a one item scene, and it wasn't anything exciting. The item has already been sold long before filming takes place. We all know the negotiations are the most interesting part of the show, but that's all staged too. They ask for $1,000, Rick counters for $200, and in the end, they agree on $300 and the item is "sold" and they say "okay, now meet me over there to do some paper work." Oh, it was painful. "Okay Rick, now run your hand along the item" blah blah blah. "Okay Rick, now point at the item." Yeah... We all know reality TV is heavily staged, but man, NOTHING is as it seems with the show.

Rick isn't as smart as he appears on TV. He's given all the history and details about the item(s) about 60 seconds before the scene is shot. He's told what to say.... His acting is...interesting.

In real life he comes off as very pompous. After the shoot, he asked "Okay, am I done for the day?" He couldn't get out of there fast enough.

The desk area where the family is often filmed looks sorta like the actual desk in the store, only it's more clean and organized. To the right of the desk area is a window, where a safe is....but if you look closely, it's just a painting of a safe on a wall through the window.

The items in the mock up area where they filmed weren't anything special to look at either. Some old Vegas chips, some match box cars on the walls, etc. I'm wondering how many other duplicate filming sets they have for the show in their building.

As Rick is bolting out of the room he gave an insincere thanks to those that were extras and said "Now you know reality TV is a lot like a hot dog." I interject and say "incredibly fake?" He continues on without acknowledging my existence and says "it's not made up of anything you think it should be."

In the clause I signed, there's likely something about not giving away what happens on the show, so I won't detail out what was sold, or the guy selling it. You know, gotta leave a cliff hanger out there for all the fans of the show. :evillaugh

As others have mentioned, the real store itself is "eh, it's a pawn shop." Some old guns, expensive jewelry, a motorcycle, art on the wall no one can afford, some gold and silver coins, and not much else except for an entire wall display of Pawn Stars merchandise (Old Man's pre-written autograph for $50? No thanks). And it is extremely small. But everything you see on TV isn't filmed in the main store. All staged. ;)

2. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have any idea when this will be airing?

3. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I wanted to ask that too. I'm thinking I'll let some time pass so they can get the show printed before giving away what was sold. I'm 98% sure we'll be in the shot, as we were directly down from the item and Rick.

This was done on Tuesday of this week, so I'm guessing a few months or so will pass before they air that show. I'm not too keen on how the TV industry works in regards to how fast it takes to air something after it's been shot.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That answers one question I had. I'm not a regular viewer of the show. I'll semi watch it if it's on and nothing else I want to see is on at the time. When we went it really did not remind me of the shop I saw on TV.

[​IMG]

This is what we saw in real life. (And no, none of the "stars" were there.)

5. Jameezy

Jameezy RIP Riviera

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow what a let down :/

6. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you were asked to sign something, and promise not to "give away" the story, for what? Nothing? And now you're afraid to give away the story. What are you afraid of, them taking away your "nothing"?

7. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah that's totally not how the law works... you aren't limited in suing somebody to what they have gained, but instead sue them for what you have lost.

Otherwise, the OP said they aren't sure if there was a non disclosure agreement in what they sign, but its not likely there was: what they signed would have been a standard release form giving them, Pawn Stars, the production company, history channel, etc, legal use of their likeness in any available medium forever.

8. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surprising they let the public in on how poorly done the program is. I am surprised that Rick would have to be given step by step instructions on what to do since he must have filmed 100s of these. I am not surprised that the background/history of the item would come up on his telephone.... pretty hard to know everything about everything off the top of his head....as he seems to.

9. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the exception of them having "sets", this is spot-on of how I would have expected it to be. I actually did an "interview" that was filmed for a trade show. It was done like the Tonight Show and I was one of the "couch" guests. The wanted to know what my "wheelhouse" was and had me give them some questions to ask me that fit into my area of expertise. If it wasn't staged somewhat I can't imagine it being good TV. All that being said, I think the show is running out of steam and won't be around much longer. The sidebars like diets, poker games, trips to London, and whatever other garbage they are junking up the show with, tells me they are running out of material.

10. alana86

alana86 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All very interesting. As much as I know reality TV is all staged it's my favorite type of TV to watch. That being said I'm not a huge Pawn Stars fan but every now and then if it's on I will watch it in the background.

11. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing. Reality TV is really TV!

12. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After we were told filming would start shortly, I was wondering how it was going to work. Were they going to let people leave, but not let new people in to widdle down on the number of customers in the store so they could bring in the cameras, etc? I didn't expect there to be a side set. But from a business standpoint, it makes more sense. That store was constantly flowing people in and out. They were always pretty full.

We were also told to not lean too much on the glass displays in the set room, as they weren't as firm as the real ones inside the real store.

Regarding the information Rick was given, it could have been a wikipedia article for all I know.

At one point my brother in law is standing on my left, and Rick was about 5 feet away getting ready to do another shoot. His phone rings, and he takes it out of his pocket to silence it. Rick just looks over and says "Foul."

13. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don't mind Rick. Corey is the one that annoys the hell out of me. A couple years ago they had a commercial where he talked about how he has to get up at 6 am everyday and go to "work" that guy has no idea what "work" is.

14. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard one of the guys that actually works in the shop say that the Old Man is the nicest of the group. He comes off as a hardass on the show, but I guess in real life is a nice and sincere guy.

And regarding "real work" I guess those guys have to film for about 3 hours a day, for 5 days a week. Yeah....if it was like what I saw, I wouldn't call that real work either. "Say this line" and then "Now say this line" seems like easy work while your staff work the real shop.

15. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watch this show ~ I consider it part of my "fluff tv schedule". Thanks for sharing how the show really works. A look at behind the scenes is always interesting.

16. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well,I guess the cats out of the bag now,thanks for letting us know. I did meet Mark,the expert on everything down at the Clark County Museum. Really nice man .

17. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I now have more interest in watching the show just to see if I can spot the Airball!

18. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The one I want to meet off the show is Rebecca. She is tasty

19. airball1996

airball1996 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll let ya know what episode it is, and when it's on. Assuming I can find it. ;)

20. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Beard of Knowledge! Love it when he makes an appearance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.