1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Where's a good place to drive fast - Corvette Rental Car

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DonnyC, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So looking at renting a corvette convertable for a day.

Price is really descent. Factor in that my first night is downtown and the other nights on the strip (so there will be some transportation cost anyway) and it looks like a better deal. (I haven't quite figured out where we will put the luggage, so we might go for a camero or a mustang instead).

Either way the question remains - where can I drive these cars and get some speed (legal). I'm not paying to do the racetrack as that is out of my budget...so I'm just wondering where the freeways are that have good speed limits?

Thanks.

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I-15 South going to California. I believe the speed limit is 70 out there, but it's easy to get up past 100 if you're careful.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd do the 15 north of Vegas, heading up to Mesquite. Posted is 75 but that doesn't mean much. I always foot it much faster up that way than down here in the People's Republic of Bad Drivers.

Not sure what the track charges but any speed that will prove interesting on the interstate has the potential to cost you a lot more if caught.

4. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    going out towards Pahrump is pretty good, 95 north up towards mt charleston is good as well. If you want some curves go down south of hoover damn or out boulder city and take 93

5. fishyducky

fishyducky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I own a C6 Z06 Corvette. The luggage area under the hatch surprisingly has a lot of room (subjective, I know lol). Don't know how long you are packing for, but my car has a roll cage in it and can still fit enough luggage for me and my wife.

I'd also suggest the 15 North of Vegas.

6. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What kind of rate are you getting for the Vette?

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got my rental 109 HP 1.6L Nissan Versa up to 105mph driving back from Primm. There were a few cars going faster than that.

8. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed, hit it last fall and really enjoyed it. Granted, I did not have a Corvette but it was still fun

9. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, never owned one but have driven several, one for a few weeks one sunny summer. Driven just the base models which has more than enough HP for the average driver. The hardtop really does have a lot of room in the trunk. I could easily fit 2 sets of golf clubs under that hatch along with a passenger in the front. A convertible model will erase that trunk space though. You'll barely have enough room for 2 carry-on bags with a convertible since the top storage area is sealed off from the luggage compartment. Remember, the hardtops can be removed as well and stored under the hatch - rear window stays in place (best of both worlds).

Depending on the year, the base models are speed limited. I've driven 2003, 2006 and 2008 base models (and just sat in a Stingray in a showroom last week!) and they're governed at about 200km/hr up north anyways (about 125 mph). Dunno if American models are set any differently although I would doubt it. The ease and confidence you have driving at those speeds are incredible as those puppys are so stable and responsive even at 200km/hr.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the Z06 models are governed. I rode in one and even in the passenger seat, the torque was noticeably higher (slammed you back in the seat a heck of a lot more!). The owner said he had it up past 300km/hr (185mph range) once on a not-so-busy mountain highway.

10. fishyducky

fishyducky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol well mine is a built 14:1 compression 428 with ported heads and a big cam on Ethanol. I have had it over 200. I believe the advertised top speed for the Z06 is around 190 off the showroom floor.

As far as I know the base models are not governed here in The US. I used to own a 2005 base model and had it over 150 multiple times. They advertise the top speed here in the US. Maybe it was a rental thing? I can see them limiting the top speed of the rentals for liability/abuse reasons.

11. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Under $200 all in including insurance for a 24 hour rental.

12. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you decline the insurance and get it from MPI??? for a 10 day rental it was $50, much cheaper than what you can get there.

13. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely...but MPI charges a 1 time service fee on all rental insurance.

It differs by state, NEVADA is about $15, so for a 1 day rental you come to about the same. In which case I prefer together it through the rental agency, for if there are any claims made it is an easier process.

14. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ah ok, makes sense! you also then do not have to argue with the counter person lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.