1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

And people bitch about resort fees: Allegiant Air

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking at a friend's itin. The "carry on bag" and "convenience" fees are more than the fare itself.

:rolleyes2:

2. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If he paid with a credit card instead of debit card there is a $4 for that to.

3. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, I quit flying Allegiant when they started adding the "carry on" and "credit card" fee's. The other fee's I could work around, but the carry on fee I just cant, and it negates the low fares for me.

4. aaisack

aaisack VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yah they have definitely fallen in love with fees. They used to allow carry on and personal item without additional charges. Allegiant used to be a great option for me as an alternative to Seattle/Tacoma. One time I flew round trip to Vegas for 72 dollars (both ways including fees!). We would drive the extra 2 hours to the Bellingham airport on more than a few occasions. Still a good option when traveling with a few people and booking out in advance - rates at Seattle/Tacoma have gone up as well.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahh, he has a "segment fee" of 8 bucks, too.

6. CaliMike

CaliMike “My home away from home”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even with all those fees, Allegiant is still the cheapest direct flight for me.

7. northerngirl

northerngirl High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I just booked my annual August Vegas trip. Living in Duluth, MN, Allegiant is our only direct option.....or drive two plus hours to Mpls. I have learned when looking at the rates posted to automatically add $100 to the ticket price to allow for all the added fees, i.e, seat assignments, luggage, convenience fees, credit card use, etc.

That being said, my total direct airfare came to $310.....I still consider this a decent value.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So a consumer should simply add up all costs and then weigh it against the alternatives, deciding which is cheapest and/or provides the best value for the relative offer?

Brilliant. :thumbsup:

9. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant = Spirit. I understand the concept of these no frills airlines in that you only pay for what you want, but the problem is that this nickel and diming puts everyone in a bad mood and makes for a miserable flight in my experience.

I much prefer the SW model where one price covers the entire flight and you don't have to worry about checked bags, etc. (I know they have the early bird fees and onboard internet fee, but that's pretty much it.)

My Longest Trip Ever
  10. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We use Allegiant Air for many of our trips to Vegas. If spending time in San Antonio is part of our travel plans we use Southwest. I hate Allegiant's outrageous bag fees and the nickel and dime stuff they add on. I love the fact that it is a direct flight to Vegas from McAllen. Even with all the hated fees it is still our least expensive option.

later, GVJ

11. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And now, Frontier=Spirit=Allegiant... They now charge for carry-on bags. And they've been charging $2 for sodas for a while. :thumbsdown:

12. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is the same way here. They usually still end up cheaper than other airlines. I do not like them because out of the airport that we use they leave late and you don't get to vegas until around 10:30pm.

13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess it's where you are. Here, when you add the fees, they end up being more than the legacy carriers.

14. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmmm...a direct flight for two under $500 including all fees & bags (not including seat assignments which we don't care about) OR $966 United, $1468 AA, or $1006 Delta with AT LEAST one layover. I guess I am staying with Allegiant, pretty much a no-brainer for us.

15. jbball50

jbball50 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here, and it's right here where I live about 5 minutes away, so I don't have to go to Seattle or Spokane to travel from

16. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant is the only airline I've flown with to Vegas. It's the only nonstop flight and with all fee and carryon fee I have never paid more than $200 for a RT flight. My second option is to pay $350+ with 1 stop and takes twice as long. When I first started flying with them they were always delayed but in the last couple years they got their shit together and seem to be ontime with minor delyas, less than 30 min. I'll continue to use theme no matter how crappy their fees are.

17. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see what you've done there.

[YOUTUBE]3DPKf7y1F-Q[/YOUTUBE]

18. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my opinion:

Direct flights w/ tons of fees but still cheaper than the competition >>>> Flights with layovers

19. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two tickets on Allegaint typically cost the same as one on AA or United from my home airport.

However, I've never seen United or AA say that flight xxx scheduled to leave today at noon will now be leaving at 10 am tomorrow. I've seen that plenty of times with Allegiant. Wouldn't be so bad coming home from LV, but heading out, that would suck.

At least the big airlines have options.

20. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. My bosses wife was stuck in Hawaii for 3 days waiting for Allegiant to get her home. I can think of worse places to be stuck, but it can cost a fortune, as they do not reimburse hotel or food costs like other airlines. Add to that, if you are missing work or other plans, it could be a nightmare. Personally, I would fly to Vegas on them, if the price was right, just because they have so many flights from here. Someplace like Hawaii, with just a couple flights a week, I would think hard about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.