1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Jimmy Buffett

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by blueonblue1964, May 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blueonblue1964

blueonblue1964 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone know when Jimmy Buffett will be in Vegas this year---it's usually the last 2 Saturdays in October. Come one, Parrotheads, don't let me down!:drunk:

2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The latest dates listed anywhere are Sept. 29 in Paris, France. If there is anything scheduled after that it hasn't been released yet.

3. AZYankee

AZYankee Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ardee has that right. Last year it appears he had a similar schedule. 2 days at the end of September but October and after are not on the list yet.

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I listen to Radio Margaritaville all the time too and they haven't announced the dates yet (they're usually pretty tight lipped, sadly, and don't announce until/unless it's online too)

5. blueonblue1964

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Add this, divide by that, still no answer

The Parrotsheads meet in Key West October 29-November 2, and the Clippers VS the Nuggets at Mandalay Bay October 18---if any of that plays into the Vegas dates:confused2:

6. phade

phade Keeping tabs on LV while not there...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be seeing JB later this month for the second time. Good show.

7. blueonblue1964

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blowin' in the fins...

Yes, I saw him in October 2012 at MGM---Amazing! I've been a Parrothead (though not a member) since 1985:peace:...My phone is loaded with his tunes. I cannot stop listening to his masterpieces. Been to Key West twice a year for the last 5 years. Oh, yeah, Buffett and Bob Dylan are my heroes:faint:

8. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last Buffett show I went to was 1999 - I took my (then boyfriend, now husband) to his first show. I went to quite a few shows between 1987-1999, but I just can't do it now. I'm old and crotchety and all those drunk people bug me, I have to drive too far to see a show and tickets are expensive :evillaugh

I still have a desire to see a show in Vegas, as much as I know that he's better outdoors. Ah well:peace:

9. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, they moved up Fantasy Fest, and now MOTW is over Halloween! I wasn't aware of that. I wonder what prompted them swapping those weekends around.

10. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jimmy doesn't do two Vegas fall shows every year. He seems to be winding down. Vegas is one great place to see him if you want to be part of a Parrothead crowd.

11. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hoya....I'm the same way, last show was 2001 after seeing him for years in the 80's and even early 90's before he was as popular as he is today. As you probably can attest to, his early shows where he played much smaller venues w/ the Coral Reefer Band were a lot of fun and pretty intimate. Funny story....I was in my late 20's and we were having a cocktail or two at a fun bar in Seattle called Harry's before going to a show at the Paramount Theatre. We struck up a conversation with this fun lady in a funky polka dot dress and had a fun time w/ her. After a while, she says "have a great time at the show, I'll see you later". Part way thru the show, Jimmy announces his "close friend" that stopped by just to sing a few songs w/ the Reefers.....out walks Rita Coolidge in her polka dot dress:nworthy:

I'd still like to see him one more time and although as you said, the outdoor concerts have a very fun atmosphere, I think Vegas would be a great spot too. IMO, Jimmy really doesn't sing so well these days but he has so many good back up singers and it's his showmanship and crazy shit that he brings to the show that makes it all fun.:wave:

12. aashleyjc

aashleyjc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have seen Jimmy in Vegas for the last four years. Unfortunately, we have never seen him play outdoors, but seeing the show and the atmosphere from the floor at MGM is definitely an experience for any true Parrothead.

I haven't seen any info on his Vegas date(s) yet but it is always the end of October. It should be announced soon.

13. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like a number of you. the hubby half of ardee (me) has been a Parrothead since before there were Parrotheads. We've seen him in Vegas, but these days the crowds are all drunken louts, not appreciators of the music.

Story time: I've been a fan since the Key West days, because my best friend's brother lived next door to Jimmy in Key West. Flash forward 20 years. At a concert in Costa Mesa, I hear Jimmy finish a pre-concert interview with Jeff Gonzer (KMET!) and look up to see him exit from the backstage area. He had just shaved his mustache, so nobody recognized him. As he walked by me, I told him Bill S. sent his regards. Jimmy stopped, turned around and we chatted for a good 5 minutes about stuff. He shook my hand and left. I was immediately swarmed by people wanting to know if that was really Jimmy and how I knew him. My 5 seconds of secondary fame. ;)

14. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MGM Garden Arena has good sightlines, a very good sound system, and a wildly participatory crowd. I have no idea whether or not the seats are comfortable. Nobody knows. There is an outdoor party which I have not attended, so I can't compare it to the ones at outdoor shows. You'll see and hear the show very well there.

Outdoors, the party can get pretty damned fun and sometimes a little wild. It doesn't happen to the same degree everywhere. But in an outdoor arena, you can be a long way from the stage, and the sound can be iffy. I'd take Vegas over an outdoor show unless you have good seats and know it's one of the wilder places.

When I mentioned that Jimmy was winding down, I was implying that along with a reduced schedule, his voice has not always been tops the last year or two.

15. phade

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see you are from VA. He's going to be in VA Beach later this month and that's where we'll be seeing him. I saw him once before there during his Tue/Thur/Sat tour in the early 2000s.

16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He played on my birthday this year at the location that is closest to where I live. If it had been on my 40th birthday last year, I might have gotten a hotel room and splurged on the concert, but this year, turning 41 on a Tuesday night? Eh, no thanks:peace:

17. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just announced dates: MGM Arena October 18th and 25th.

18. Matty Ice

Matty Ice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SO EXCITED!!! I was going to be in Vegas the weekend of the 25th celebrating my Dad's 70th birthday anyway. I'll be buying my ticket tomorrow!

:beer:

19. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's all about the tailgate party

I agree that outdoor venues are better and I would also suggest the best part of the JB experience is the pre show tailgate party.:drunk: It's a great opportunity for people watching and drunken debauchery.

20. phade

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The show last month was great, but the sands of time wait for nobody. He's starting to slow down a bit, not shockingly. Still put on a great show. The audience took a while to get into it, but by the time Fins and Magaritaville came on, it was the usual JB crowd.

I doubt I'll have the chance to see him again, but being slightly younger than most JB fans, I can be happy with seeing him 2x in my lifetime.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.