1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Portland OR recommendations?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by HoyaHeel, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading to Portland for a conference. Haven't been since I was a kid. My brother and his family live there and I know they'll give me ideas for things to do, places, but anyone have any place they want to recommend?

In particular, we will be drinking as much craft beer as we can (esp things we cannot get in NC) and I would love to do a Sunday "boozy" brunch. We'll do at least one garden, not sure which (could be weather dependent).....

2. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the weather behaves (and that's subjective being in Portland) you should check out the Portland Japanese Garden in the west hills. It's just above the Rose Gardens in Washington Park which is worth seeing if you're going to be there. If you find yourself downtown with extra time check out Lan Su Chinese Garden and then try a food cart for lunch (many won't be open on Sunday).

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  3. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Current forecast is rain/cool for most of the time I have free before my meetings start:grrr: But I own goretex......

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Portland. You know already you have to go to Powell's Books, right? Maple Bacon donuts at Voodoo Donuts? Food carts downtown. I second the idea of the Japanese Garden.

The best boozy brunch is Portland was always at Grandma's house. Alas, they're in the big cemetary above Cedar Hills now, so you're on your own in that department now.

Have fun!!!

5. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Portland's best garden is Magic Gardens.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! Isn't that kind of like Olympic Gardens in Vegas? I'm not sure that's what HH is looking for.

7. carrie_dave_and_cody

carrie_dave_and_cody Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    McMenamins brew pub has lots of locations throughout the area, my favorites are the Grand Lodge in Forest Grove, west of Portland and Edgefield, East of Portland. If you have time check out Crown point vista House and Multnomah Falls, I don't know if the trail to the top is open yet or not, but beautiful scenery anyway. When are you coming to Portland? The weather this week is supposed to be great!

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How could I forget McMennamins? I love the one in McMinnville that has this great rooftop bar. But that's kind of a drive from Portland.

Here are their locations - http://www.mcmenamins.com/locations Every one I've been to has had great food and a wonderful variety of local brews on tap.

9. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No need to get a rental car in PDX. They have a free tram within the downtown area but start charging when you go further away. However, the prices they charge are still really good.

I highly recommend one of the Kimptons or The Nines Hotel for your accommodations.

10. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha ha, yes it is. Except Magic Gardens is even less classy.

Perhaps Sunshine Tavern for brunch is a recommendation more in line with what HH is seeking? http://sunshinepdx.com/

11. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going for a conference so we'll be at the Marriott Waterfront. We fly out Saturday - forecast for cool/rain Sat, Sun & Mon - big change from the weather this week:thumbsdown:

Thanks for the recs so far. No, I don't think we'll go to a strip club, though I've read that many have great food (and OR is one of the few places you can have full nude with alcohol?)

We will not be renting a car. So this trip is Portland only - I know we'll find plenty of things to do.

Sonya - I think I'll disappear at Powell's and my husband will find the closest pub and we could both lose a day like that:nworthy:

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Masu Sushi. Couple blocks from Powell's.

You're both geeks, go to OMSI. :peace:

Portland Art Museum. Plus the Park Blocks are a nice stroll and you'll be right by where I went to junior-senior prom, and I know that kinda stuff is important to you!

Damn, the Twilight Room out by UoP closed. WTF?!?

13. carrie_dave_and_cody

carrie_dave_and_cody Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is public transportation that goes to the Japanese Garden and Washington Park that is just a short ride from downtown. There is a brew pub within a block or two of Powell's Books. Make sure to get to VooDoo Donuts!!!! Also there is Saturday market (open Saturday and Sunday)

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Voodoo is novel, but I'd put Pearl Bakery on the list. I mean, I don't think the health department is letting them sell Nyquil donuts anymore, eh?

Have Greek at Eleni's. And Alexis is a time-honored tradition.

15. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  16. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw that there are Farmer's markets every day (various locations) so I definitely want to visit one or two. Am hoping for fridge in hotel room but not sure. (they aren't standard at this property)

We have the transit map printed - I need to check and see if they have an app I can download. I have so many city transit apps on my phone :eek:

VQ looks yummy. I've been getting food ideas from FlyerTalk and Chowhound too. Egads. I cannot read Chow - makes me too hungry:ssst:

17. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The app you want is called TriMet Tickets. As the name implies you can pay for your ticket and validate it bypassing their slow machines and eliminating the need for cash and exact change for busses.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, that place has been around forever, long before weird-trendy Portland got all trendy-weird full of itself!! Great suggestion. Are you a resident of RainTown?

19. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool - thanks! I was just looking for maps & time tables - this is more:thumbsup:

20. symbols

symbols Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not currently. I'll be back at some point in my life though!

Funny you mention Portland's changes. Kinda ties into my recommendation because it doesn't have the here today gone tomorrow tendy setup, but it still emits a Portland vibe. It's also close enough to the police station (immediately across from the parking garage) that you won't have issues with vagrants or street kids which can sometimes be too much for a local let alone a tourist downtown.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.