1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golfers, let's talk courses

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those who play will understand, courses are the common currency of our affliction. We might never have played Dung Beetle GC, but we've probably heard about it or have seen it on TV, so we "know" it.

Some of this might be "best," but I tend more toward favorite, meaningful. So have at it. If you toss out multiples in the dialogue, no worries.

1. What's the uber-est ubercourse you've played?

2. This might be different, what's the course that most resonates with you?

3. Bucket List, what course is it?

4. Tell us about your home or main course.

5. Teeing it up in Sin City, where are you going?

6. One hole. What is that one single solitary hole that exceeds all others? (Oratory is fine, but at the end you must pick one.)

2. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always enjoyed playing Forest Preserve National in our area. Dubsdread is my favorite course in the area, but I have not played the actual course (walked it several times for the Western, played the adjacent courses). I also like Balmoral Woods, which has hosted several state championships in the past. FPN and BW are great values in terms of price and quality.

Carnoustie
    Royal Liverpool Golf Club
    Augusta

I have played Las Vegas Club, which was a nice course, relatively easy, though a bit slow (with five golfers driving five separate carts in front of us). It was fun seeing the Strip in the background on several holes.

Would like to golf the Desert Inn course (though it would take a lot more play for a comp there vs. LVC from LVH). Cascata and Shadow Creek would also be nice to try, as well as the TPC and old TPC courses in Summerlin.

3. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Industry Hills "Babe" Zaharias course, because it seemed so incredibly demanding and tricked up at every turn. (Not sure I fully grasp the question, but this is how I'm interpreting it.)

Mountain at La Quinta Resort is my favorite course I've ever played.

Sounds like a cliche, but Pebble. I haven't played it or Spyglass, and I suspect I'd like Spyglass more. But given the chance to go play either one, I've gotta pick Pebble first.

N/A. It's rare that I play the same course more than two or three times in a year. Tend to play all over Southern California.

Sights set on Cascata at some point. Bear's Best also looks appealing.

So far in Vegas I've played Aliante, Arroyo at Red Rock, Primm Valley (Lakes) and Painted Desert. None of them did much for me. Arroyo is the best of that bunch.

6. One hole. What is that one single solitary hole that exceeds all others? (Oratory is fine, but at the end you must pick one.)
    Based only on courses I've played, No. 15 at La Quinta Resort - Mountain is as good as it gets. Stunningly beautiful, great risk/reward par 5, interesting green complex tucked into the mountains.

4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, M, I called out Mountain #15 a few times in articles this past year (and in the past) as a textbook in greatness.

5. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #7 at Pebble. Iconic and you could be hitting anything from an easy SW to a 6 iron depending on the wind.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken don't do hate. :thumbsup: Despite what he feels about Bali. :nono:

But seriously. Takes a lot of boxes ticked correctly to please each of us and it all is cool.

1. Some of these might not get the Golfweek Top 100 seal of approval, but five faves are: TPC Sawgrass, Kapalua Plantation, Crosswater, Riviera … and Pebble. (Since Rivera’s not public let’s slot Pasatiempo in there at #5.)

2. Witch Hollow, Pumpkin Ridge Golf Club. This is simply guttural, a reaction to how I’ve felt while playing and after playing and then thinking about playing, the several times I’ve been able to get out there over the years. You’d think I’d go all desert course-y, wouldn’t you?

3. Bandon’s finally coming off the list this year, so I say, umm, Ballybunion.

4. La Purisima GC. I play far far more on the road, but this place is almost literally in m backyard and it is my home course now. Huge parcel of land, no fuken houses or condos. Oaks. Bobcats and raptors and deer and coyotes. Tons of movement, not a ton of flat lies. Did I mention oaks? Near-coast wind. Gorgeous. Kicked the LPGA’s ass the two times the women played through. Tough hombre. Oaks.

5. I’ve played ‘em all, literally, from Laughlin and Bullhead to Mesquite, Primm to Pahrump, Vegas, and yet I still always come back to Paiute, and usually Snow. Sure, some courses cost a lot more, are higher on the anointed list, but that doesn’t really matter. Lotta courses I love up that way. And I do want to give a shout out to Canyon Gate, which Terri and I played together so many times, and that so often figured into the Golf Boyz hijinks. CG proves that Ted Robinson could do more than put in pretty waterfalls.

6. I really thought it was going to be #15 at Mauna Lani South, but, no, it’s clearly #8 at Pebble. One of the seemingly blandest tee shots in the game and the best par-4 approach I’ve ever seen. And it’s freakin’ pretty up that way.

7. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, I've been very fortunate in my golfing exploits to enjoy some nice tracks. I didn't start playing until my 50th birthday and that was at Dye's Mountain at LQ.
    Best course is Cypress Point. Played it a half dozen times.
    Favorite that is more accessible is Pacific Dunes.
    As far as resonates, I love Hualalai, which is almost like having your own private course at one of the best tropical resorts in the world.
    I've played all over Vegas but now combine Shadow and Cascata with Snow Mountain or Coyote Springs.
    Next on the bucket list is a visit to Streamsong to play the 2 courses by my 2 favorite course designers.
    Single solitary hole is fun to consider. Mauna Kea #3, Riviera #10, Pacific #4, Pebble #8, Spy #4, Shadow #17, there are so many. But, by far the most memorable challenging and unique is Cypress 16. And the 15-16 combo, being by the ocean, is so amazing.

8. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    South Course at the Boulders in Scottsdale. I know this course may not be anything special for west coasters, but as a FL golfer, I was impressed by the rock formations and elevation changes.

I don't really have a specific course that resonates with me, but I really enjoy playing courses with big elevation changes because of all the flat courses I play in FL.

Pebble Beach

Jacaranda in Plantation, FL - Two nice tracks which spreads out play for faster rounds.

Paiute - Three great courses, nice clubhouse, friendly staff - just hope its not too windy. (Note: Also has a special place in my heart as I hit my only hole-in-one there on Sun #8, plus it was money hole and I won over $5k for the hole-in-one.)

Wolfcreek - I've been longing to play Wolfcreek for sometime and I'm going to try and make a point of getting out there on my next trip - Maybe this should be in the bucket list question.

Played - #15 Champion Course PGA National - First Hole of the "Bear Trap" - Long Par 4 with water all along the right side into a prevailing wind, with a long approach shot mostly over water to a relatively small green.

Not Played - #17 TPC Players - Another Bucket List Course that I will try to get to this summer (when the rates are more reasonable). I can just imagine the nerves stepping up to the tee box, especially if you have a good round going.

My Longest Trip Ever
  9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cypress? Bastard!!! :nworthy:

I knew my list would morph the minute I wrote it. I gotta find a spot for Monterey Peninsula CC's Shore Course.

God, I love this drug!!

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Boulders is an awesome choice, Fafa. I'm no longer a desert guy but still love all that Scottsdale desert stuff. Boulders, Troon North, We-Ko-Pa.

A tip on Sawgrass: It's less intimidating on the ground than you'd believe from all the aerial shots during the Players. I shot an ugly number on the front, then came back with a 41 that included a triple on 10 and a three-jack on 17. Trust the caddie/forecaddie on 17 when he/she talks about the wind. That is the key to that hole. The green's actually quite large.

11. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've not played Sawgrass but it certainly looks to have a layout not that different than PGA West Stadium, routing, hole designs, everything.
    As far as shooting different scores on both nines of a course, 51-37 at Bears Best was wierd. Luckily the 37 was on the back nine.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You'll find it's like they're cousins not brothers.

Gawd, THOSE rounds. I did 60-40 once at Vintage Club. But as you say, it is better to come back blazing. I shot 36-50 once in the desert. Just killed me. Did a 37-52 at Pueblo de Cochiti. And of course my friends were pointing out that if I tripled the last I'd break 90. Yes, I play golf with hyenas.

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer the one with the dragon's mouth to the windmill with that drawbridge. :wink2:

For not being a golfer, I have been on some of the worlds greatest courses with my dad. How can you even being to pick just one?

Which one is my favorite at Spyglass? Is it 4? You're up a little high for the men's tees and then it sweeps down towards the water & 17 mile drive. I think it's 4.

14. NYPoker

NYPoker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bethpage Black

I guess Bethpage, any of the courses at Bethpage. All the courses are well kept and each challenging in it's own way. Love playing here.

TPC Sawgrass

My main course is Mill Pond here on Long Island, Simple but challenging public course. Half woods, half links. Really fun to go here with some friends and relax on the weekends.

Shadow Creek.

6. One hole. What is that one single solitary hole that exceeds all others?
    I love this par 3 water hole at Indian Island golf course. It's so simple but intimidating because when playing from the blues the whole shot is over water and the wind is so strong that if you don't hit it with confidence, the ball is going into the water.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though my parents have two children, I am, of course, their favorite, so it can be done, Sonya. ;)

I know one course designer who'd agree on #4, saying it's the best short 4 in the world.

P.S. Please tell your dad the USGA needs to pull its collective head out of the sand and recognize the game is dying under its "care." But please do it gently. TYIA

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always loved that one. I'd pull out mom's clubs and just play the one hole. :) It's purty.

Dad's not part of that hot-mess anymore. He met up with the old guard in Florida a few weeks ago and they got their handicap-geek on. But I haven't seen a new green jacket for him in years. :( I think he'd have to reluctantly agree with your assessment of the USGA, unfortunately.

17. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Kiawah Island Golf Resort-- Ocean Course (going back in mid September for the week)

Bethpage Black

Pebble Beach Golf Links

My main course is Bulle Rock Golf Course in Havre De Grace, Maryland. It’s a Pete Dye masterpiece even though it’s a tough track.

I usually visit the following courses: Angel Park (Mountain), Las Vegas Paiute (Wolf), Rio Secco, Cascata, Wynn and Coyote Springs (visiting there in about 4 weeks—first time there)

Torrey Pines South #3—HEAVEN!

Annual Golf Trip
  18. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I haven't played any uber courses. I've played at a few private clubs in Washington but I've never spent more than $80 and that was at Wine Valley in Walla Walla, WA about a month after it opened. A year or two later I was able to get 18 holes, cart, a beer and a burger for $50 at that same course.

Augusta

Canyon Lakes Golf Course is where I play 95% of golf since I'm a member up there. Most of the greens are fairly large and many of them have a few tiers. You may have a good statistical day by hitting a lot of GIR's, but if you aren't on the right tier your score can certainly suffer.

http://canyonlakesgolfcourse.com/

6. One hole. What is that one single solitary hole that exceeds all others?

#16 at TPC Scottsdale on Saturday of the Phoenix Open. It's not a special hole by any means, but I think it'd be a blast to have a hole surrounded by thousands of drunks!

19. four to a royal

four to a royal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Played tpc sawgrass last year, just a great experience all around.
    One of the toughest courses I've played. Fairways are a must, rough was punishing when we played. Finished par-par-bogey to shoot 99.

World woods, about an hour north of Tampa. I usually get up there twice a year for 36 holes. They like to compare the two courses to pine valley and Augusta national. That's a little bit of a stretch, but a great facility.

Only one? St. Andrews, old course.
    Gotta throw in Pebble and Augusta.

No home course, with so many good courses in the area we travel around quite a bit.

I've never played in Vegas. I'm fortunate enough to play every weekend, year round. When I'm on vacation with my wife I usually leave the clubs at home.

6. One hole. What is that one single solitary hole that exceeds all others? (Oratory is fine, but at the end you must pick one

Another tough one. I'll stick with courses I've played, (or in this case, seen in person).
    Augusta national, #13.

Great topic Ken!

Playing PGA national tomorrow, the bear trap awaits!

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fun choice. When I dump it on Photobucket I'll put up a picture from Saturday this year. We were back right on the tee. What an experience. Been a few times and lucky enough to play it a number of times including during the pro-am. (Funny story, several years back, some weeks before the tourney, the stadium is going up. I hit a freakin' hosel-rocket and the workers boo me. I jarred the next shot and they went ape. Too funny.)

Like 17 at Sawgrass, it's a short iron (wedge at Sawgrass) right at the middle that feels like a 1-iron into the wind during tourney time.

Loving all the thoughts y'all are tossing out!! :thumbsup:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.