1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Airlines showing it age

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Username, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

The article did not mention anything about the jet fuel futures buying that enabled SW to save tons on fuel for several years.

3. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always understood this to be the reason for their competitive advantage. Interesting that it wasn't mentioned.

4. lithium78

lithium78 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I could fly Southwest out of Newark, NJ, but they don't offer nonstop service to Vegas. The only airline that flies nonstop to LV out of Newark is United, which is really expensive and their customer service quality is really poor. When I used to live in upstate NY, I pretty much exclusively flew Southwest and I still try to use them whenever possible. Despite the problems they are having now, they are still the best airline in my book.

5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

It was huge for them in the past and got them a lot of press, especially in 2008 when prices skyrocketed. But I know those hedges cost them in some of these past years. Plus the guy who was considered the brains behind their hedging strategy left a few years ago and his number two took over. Maybe he's not as good, but that's just speculation.

Do you live in either central or south Jersey? If so you should look into flying out of PHL. They have Southwest direct to Vegas but also US Airways which tends to show a lot of really cheap flights to LAS from PHL. Now with the American merger its also part of oneworld. I'm too far from PHL so would never fly from there but my girlfriend has and she says its a way more chill airport than any of the NYC ones. I've been there to pick-up or drop-off someone in the past and that part is definitely way easier than the clusterfuck you usually have to deal with at JFK or EWR.

6. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still cheap for me from LA... but yea flights anywhere else seem to be up to the same prices as other airlines. Then at full price, I'd rather have a full service airline with a reserved seat.

7. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe the fuel thing has ended for them. I dont know when it ended but I think I remember reading quite awhile ago the contacts were ending.

I love SW....good CS, love that fact the FA's try to be humorous and not do everything from a script. and to be honest the FA's are alot younger....when Im on a flight for 5 hours I would rather look at some 20-30 yr woman then a 50yr old. :wink2::thumbsup: call me an ass if you must...

As for prices, when on sale they are alot cheaper then any other airline and bags fly free which is an extra savings. I have not noticed any difference in prices. I fly from newark/philly

8. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree 10 years ago that SWA customer service was A+ but the last couple years I would only give them a B in what I personally experienced.

Crap rolls down hill and if the employees feel like they are no longer treated like family it affects their job performance.

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Duplicate deleted.

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very interesting, thanks for posting.:thumbsup: We're still SWA fans because they fly non-stop to places we want to go and of course no bag fees.

We have encountered a few non-friendly FAs, but still the overall experience is still positive.

Prices have gone up quite a bit lately, but we are also limited on which days we can fly, so that is a factor. $433pp next week for non-stop, Thur-Tues.

11. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That use to be true, but not so much any more. That is the downside, for us lechers, about having a company that nobody ever quits! The old ones should quit to make room for the young hotties. :evillaugh

12. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Over past 20 years, I've noticed a major shift in the labor dynamics at SWA. The quality of employee and work ethic is definitely less than what is used to be.

13. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's virtually impossible to keep your business the same when you experience as much growth as they have. I concur it's not what it once was but it's still a lot better than United and Delta.

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm kind of surprised that they still have the free bags policy. Their fares are pretty comparable with other airlines, moreso if you wait for their "$69" specials so their rates are a much better deal than other airlines from many (not all) airports. I would have thought that they would raise their rates a little and still be competitive with other airlines (with their bag fees).

15. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no way! haha. once out of the blue you might get a 40+ plus. I always fly southwest because I rack up their points but in March I flew delta and U.S last min and all the FA's could be my mom!

When SW is hurting for cash, the free bags will go away. I dont think they are really hurting for cash. I think the article is BS and employees are upset because of change. No one likes change, we get nervous, scared of mass layoffs and firings. But they are union. So the guys that do nothing and make 20$/hr can keep their jobs.

I wish SW the best.

16. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, at some point the free bags will go away.

I still fly them because they offer 2 nonstops that no other airline offers.

Their price has been higher than the other major airlines for me the last 2 years. On rare occasions they are cheaper, but on many more occasions delta and aa are cheaper even if I include a bag fee.

17. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are 2 reason I choose to fly southwest. 1. They offer non stops to most of the places I want to go. 2. They don't charge for bags.

If they started charging for bags, they would lose their price advantage and I would probably to have to start shopping around again.

18. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a decade Southwest was our go-to airline because of the fantastic Rapid Rewards program. When they changed it (beneficial for some, but not us), we moved to JetBlue for the bulk of our travel. I am flying Southwest (actually PAID for it, too) to Las Vegas in October because they offer daytime non-stops.

I'll so Southwest when it is in my best interest, but no longer is it my first choice.

19. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love SW. I get non-stop flights and free baggage for great prices. To fly out of MKE to Vegas cost me 400 dollars RT. To fly out of Madison for the times I want with no non-stop flights will cost me almost a thousand dollars plus 25 dollars a bag and 10 dollars a day in parking fees. I don't get how anyone is confused by the way you board. If you want a good chance at a decent seat pay for the early bird...if you want to chance it ...then don't. With EB I have never gotten lower than A boarding. SW gives you free drinks (not alcohol) and as many free snacks as you want. Altho I have have gotten many alcohol drinks for free. The staff has always been very friendly. My flights are always on time if not early. Not like my experiences with delta or AA or even Frontier...who offer nothing when they make you miss you'r return flight home cause they suck.

20. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to mention the unlimited free snacks too. They go around with the boxes and allow you to pick as much as you want, atleast 2x on a longer flight.

Another reason I dont see them hurting for cash, they would pull that in a heart beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.