1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Buffet ettiquette

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Made in Alaska, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Made in Alaska

Made in Alaska Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a question and observation. I have been to several strip buffets. LOVE them :licklips: . However I seem to be too "polite" when it comes to loading ones plate.

For instance, I was at the Luxor in line and when it opened it was a mad dash to the most expensive items , like crab legs, prime rib and such. So valuing my own safety I opted to wait till the seafood area was safer. Upon arrival it was a barren wasteland.

Now I get it. Its a buffet. They will bring more out and they did. This time hunger outweighed fear and I grabbed a "few" crab legs. While there I was schooled in how it works.

The lady next to me had ingeniously encircled her plate with carrot and celery sticks. "Whats that about", I thought. Well here came another tub of crab which she all but transferred to her plate. The veggies were not food but shoring for her crab ! It was piled high.

So question. "Is it right to lower the freaking boom on the food just because its a buffet"? I mean you can go back, right ? If there are say 6 crab legs there do you take them all or a couple and move on ?

Even my wife , who I love :kiss:, sometimes grabs three desserts only to take one bite of each and then throw them away. I guess it seems odd IMO.

What do you folks think ? Just Vegas excesses? Cheers :beer:

2. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All's fair in love and food. First one at the buffet gets chowdown rights. But I hate those that bud in line. I was getting ready to punch a guy who cut the wrong way into the buffet line (not that it's one way only, but if there's a bunch of people going one way, it's best to follow suit). As I was waiting in the predominant line going one direction, as I got to it, this guy who just walked up coming the other way emptied the dish out. Not just one or two spoonfuls, he went back again and again to load his plate. I was getting ready to smack him but he at least turned to me and said sorry, nothing left, in a foreign accent.

There's always a mentality that they'll run out of food at a buffet with folks. For really scarce items, the buffet should have a server that rations it out for those in line although I haven't encountered that in Vegas.

3. BenjaminNicholas

BenjaminNicholas MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's why I don't do Vegas buffets. Watching people eat in that city is like watching a National Geographic special...

Folks forget that just because they're at a buffet doesn't mean they also not in public and should leave their manners at the door.

4. Persistent Cat

Persistent Cat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people are savages. It's so embarrassing to see that kind of behaviour. The savages that hoard the food and then waste it because they can't finish are the worst. I like places that institute a rule about potentially paying for unfinished food.

5. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just do what I do. Walk up to the Buffet point in the opposite direction and yell "Hey look! There's Elvis!" When every turns to look at Elvis, load up on the Cannolis and cheesecake.

6. Icedgenes

Icedgenes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which Buffets are worse for the serving dish stealers?

I sample so many different dishes that only small portions make it on my plate but I am hoping to sample some decent food. Crab at MGM, the assorted pastas in sauces at Bellagio and some good beef for starters)

Can I avoid the grabbers by going early, like 5ish? (we are going last week of May).Are breakfasts better early as well?

As to deserts, who can have just one? Mine do not see the garbage unless they deserve to.

7. justmartin9

justmartin9 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been to ONE buffet, I think it was at Mandallay Bay. I don't think I will ever go to another buffet. Im my opinion, the food generally isn't that great, at least not good enough to justify fighting for it. I also don't get waiting in line for something, especially just to eat.
    Las Vegas is FULL of some of great restaurants, why would I waste my time in the Buffett line. I would rather eat one good meal at a nice restaurant, and eat hot dogs and beer the rest of trip.

8. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most are fine...it's just the few that spoil it for all. The hoarders are out at all times of the day though. They don't just show up at 12:15pm. Most are fine I wouldn't avoid a buffet because of this though.

9. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think I have ever been to a buffet where I have felt endangered or where they ran out of food. The only thing that makes me laugh is to see people who mix their courses all on one heaping plate like they are allowed just one trip. Why would you do that?

10. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to weigh the pros and cons and do what you feel comfortable with because there are always going to be people who rush up there and load their plates with the best items or take nothing but and end up cleaning the station out...

If you are content with getting their leftovers then what you are doing is fine, if you want more then you have to be more aggressive because even if there was a big sign with buffet etiquette and rules about how much you can take it wouldn't matter.

And its not just the buffet you went to, I've seen people swarm stuff like the crab legs when a fresh load is brought out at the higher end buffets as well.

11. xizor

xizor Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What makes me shake my head is the people loading up 2 or more plates at once. I understand wanting to stuff your self and "get your money's worth" but 2 plates at a time? That just means eating one plate of cold food for every plate of hot food.

12. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always do two plates at once: I always start with a salad and some light stuff and I don't want to go up there, get in line, get some salad stuff and a bun or something, sit down, eat that, then have to go back and go get more... I'd rather eat my salad and then when I am done put it aside and then have the main dinner.

The other thing is: usually I will go for a small sampling of different foods. That way I can try different stuff but also if I don't like something I don't end up with a big plate full of it. By using multiple plates I can have 2-4 items per plate and not worry about it "contaminating" other food on my plate

13. dglen

dglen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We only do a buffet for breakfast maybe once per trip and the only things I don't like is when people don't use the provided utensils and use their hands to put items on their plates and are eating as they are still loading up their plates.

14. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is me to a tee. One plate of salad and other cold stuff, one plate of a sampling of hot dishes. Next trip will be another plate of warm and a cup of soup if it looks good. Then salad, then entrees. Repeat until Creosoted. But the only buffet we hit anymore is Studio B at M Resort. There don't seem to be so many "OMG these are the last crab legs on Earth!" people there.

15. ExVegasLocal

ExVegasLocal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You struck a nerve with this post. I always walk the entire buffet to see what I'm interested in, staying behind the folks serving themselves. Once I know what I want, I jump in, serve myself efficiently, and move out of the way.

Somehow I always get behind the person how has evidently never built a salad, using the tongs to slowly turn over each piece of broccoli looking for the one that is exactly the right color/shape/size. And then it's time to look at the tomatoes. Aren't they delicious? Gee, which one do I want?

To quote the great John Pinette, "Get out of the line!!!"

[youtube]GUlf1F05gTA[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  16. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the mountain of food on the plate always gets me too

I learned a long time ago from Chinese food buffets that they would rather wash extra plates than have you waste food and I feel stupid for wasting food anyway

I will get a few samples of various things to see what is good that day and then load up on the next if I desire more of one item

I really stopped going to most buffets anyway because I get too full and most are not as great of a deal anymore anyway unless you eat until you regret eating all of that

sometimes with a large amount of QUALITY food of MANY types I will hit up a buffet or maybe breakfast (rarely eat it now days :( ) when I can concentrate on the meats like bacon ect that works for me

but most others I am out on them

17. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not just manners in this case.... its also sanitary conditions. Not that touching the serving spoon that someone else just handled is good either. You don't know how many grubby hands were on it an where their hands were before they grabbed that spoon.
    I have a degree in microbiology... trust me, there are a lot of things you don't wanna know about when it comes things you can't see at a buffet.

18. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never understood the mounds of crab legs on the plate(s). If eating them warm is so desirable, I don't see how you can get through a big stack of them before the crab legs and the drawn butter get cold, even if they are presplit. I don't even fool with crab legs half the time because they are such a hassle and because I don't want to deal with a swarm. And I have no love for buffets that don't have multiple serving stations for them when they know the line for them will back up the other stations.

My general strategy for buffets is to actually try staples like chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese and the like and to hit the Asian food section and soup. I usually can get to those pretty easy and if they are done well, it give you a good idea if the overall selection is good. The only thing I would do that would be considered rude is to jump ahead if there is a line for stuff I don't even want. I don't want sushi and don't trust Mexican or Italian on buffets so I don't want to get caught waiting for people to clear those areas to move on.

19. vokalml

vokalml Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clark we only need one plate. It's all you can eat!

20. trellaine

trellaine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So funny but true. I never really thought about that hahah but it's true.

I haven't been to a buffet in a few years. I don't think anything is worth waiting 20-1hr. But that's me.

I do have a free studio b buffet that I should try and use. But not sure about the line ups. I'll have to try and time it right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.