1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is my comp request reasonable?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by JosieCat, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it reasonable to negotiate your comps - in trying to substitute one type of comp for another.

I called MGM Grand to ask about an offer for June - asked to speak to the host on duty. No problem, 3 nights in a suite, food/bev for 2 (???), limo, and $300 in free play. I thanked him, and told him I would think about it, and get back to him. I wanted to talk it over with my BF before making a decision.

Then I got to thinking, and decided to see if he would negotiate and sent him an e-mail telling him I really, really, really, REALLY wanted to stay in the terrace suite, and have enough EC's to mostly pay for 2 nights. So would he be willing to only comp me for one night in whatever room I was eligible for, and I would pay for the other 2 nights myself (in the terrace suite) - and then would be be willing to bump up my free play by $200. The cost of the bare minimum suite for that time period is $155 a night - so I figured it was a fair trade :)

No response yet - I guess I get a little paranoid, because I always seem to deal with hosts that tell you no by ignoring your e-mails. So was my request reasonable?

2. Letsdoit

Letsdoit Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi JosieCat,

Who was the Host on Duty? Just give me his/her initials.

3. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    His initials are LW. Why? Do you have a host there you would recommend?

4. Letsdoit

Letsdoit Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely not him. He is horrible at responding to e-mails. I actually complained about the horrible customer service that I've received from him.

I had sent him e-mails 5,6 even 7 times without a response.

I have a great contact who responds promptly to e-mails. However, let me know if your host responds within an acceptable status. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt as he may have not liked me, lol...

I can get pretty aggresive when I do not get great customer service. I'm in the industry so it is a pet peeve of mine :nono:

If he doesn't get back to you let me know and I'll let you know who you should speak too.

Cheers

5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks and I agree. I'm going to give him one week - I would think that would be an acceptable amount to wait.

6. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found that hosts that are ESL, really dont respond to emails...could just be hard to write...

7. Rumdranker

Rumdranker Grateful Lurker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $155 for a terrace suite! Is that your taste based on your level of play?

I have almost no experience with comps, but I think negotiation should always be an option.

8. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're complicating things by introducing a second room type. I'm not sure if the 2 nights booked in the terrace suite would even be set up for RFB if you are asking him to book a rate and then you cover it with express comps. In any case I would not be comfortable that this would work out the way you want it to.

I think you would have a much better shot at asking to forgo the upfront food and beverage (use express comps for this) and just have him book you into the terrace suite for the entire stay with no f/b attached. That would be a lot "cleaner", probably save you ECs, and would put you in the terrace suite the entire time.

9. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I probably made it sound more complicated. I'm eligible for a regular suite - the cheapest being $155 - so I'm asking to just have them comp me that for one night - and I'll take care of the other 2 nights myself. In doing that though, I'm giving up $300 in comps, so was hoping he could bump up my free play by $200.

10. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no way I'll get a terrace suite comped for 3 nights :). This suite goes for like $700. I have had a host do something similar for me at Mirage. I wanted the tower suite - she comped it for one night - I paid for the other 2.

11. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You did stay in the same room the whole time, though, which is the angle you should try to play this time...

12. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure how to play that angle though. I seriously doubt they will even comp me one night in one of those suites.

I probably just made it too complicated and too much work for him. I should have just booked the offer, and then double booked the suite for 2 nights using my platinum discount - if they even let you do that.

It's just frustrating. I have $1,100 in EC's. I always have room and food comped. I don't do shows, or spas, and you can't use your EC's for retail - so upgrading to a nicer suite is really the only thing I would be interested in spending them on - but unfortunately, M Life doesn't allow you to ugprade a comp offer, at least not ahead of time. I'm sure you could do it when checking in - but the terrace suites are very popular and it's unlikely they would be available.

13. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, it is tough--they want certain suites for a "certain level of player" and it is not easy to do what you are trying to do. They often don't even understand what you are trying to do since their system spits out a suggested way to comp a player which may not be his preferred use of discretionary comp availability.

Your original proposal was complicated from the host's perspective. Especially with a host you haven't worked with before, I would worry about losing the food and beverage on the nights you were paying for the terrace suite since those won't be part of the "offer." Stupidly, the double booking thing may be the best way to ensure that you maximize the value of the upfront offer AND make sure you get a terrace suite for part of the time.

14. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, if you will pardon my French - holy shit!!!

This guy just e-mailed me back, and they will comp me the first night in the terrace suite, and give me $500 in free play, $500 in resort credit, and limo. He did warn me that as there are only 10 of them, I could get bumped, but as I'm coming in on a Sunday, he didn't anticipate that it would happen.

So, I'm looking at having to put out probably a few $100 at the end with what my express comps don't cover. NO PROBLEM. I'm trying to type this while doing a happy dance at the same time. I have wanted to stay in a terrace suite since, well, since I saw them.

15. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's doable, depending on the host, and I suppose, the property.

I think 3 years ago I had a corporate offer from Aria for 3 nights and $150/day in F&B, don't remember if there was any free play, I think there was. Had a computer crash not long after, so I can't refer to the emails.

I contacted a host and said I'd waive the F&B if he could give me two additional comp nights (the stay would have included 2 weekend nights). He agreed to that. I didn't end up doing it for some reason I don't remember (I think I was able to get a V-Suite at THEhotel comped for 5 nights through a host, with some freeplay).

Anyways, I think what I would have done in your situation was offer to waive the 3 nights in whatever suite plus the F&B in exchange for one comped night in the Terrace Suite and you paying for two more. The problem is, you don't know the F&B number. They also might have wanted to charge you full boat for the additional two nights (as opposed to an MLife rate).

Giving up the freeplay as well might have sweetened the pot, but I know you'd never do that.

I had a host assigned to me at MGM when I stayed there in January because I had wired $, but I wasn't too impressed. They don't strike me as all that flexible.

16. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I'll be danmed! Nice!

How much are you paying for the non-comped nights?

17. WWGB

WWGB High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great! Glad to see you're finally getting some appreciation from Mlife again.

Does that $500 resort credit need to be used during the comp night, or just anytime during your stay?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  18. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $700 - and yes, that's higher than what I would pay for it with my platinum discount - I looked and it was like $573 or something like that. I don't care. Like I said, having to put out $200 for 3 nights in that suite - no problem :)

19. Letsdoit

Letsdoit Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great JosieCat. However, make sure that you have it in writting and bring it with you when you check in.

Also, you should ask for VIP Check in. They have a nice VIP Lounge that offers snacks and drinks.

Was there recently and enjoyed it.

20. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I would assume I don't have to spend it all on the first day:). As I said in a different post - I've done the exact same thing at Mirage - and I used the food comp over the 3 days I was there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.