1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Strangest Gambling Superstition

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by bjpcyclone, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's the strangest superstition you've seen?

A couple of my favorites:

1. I sat next to a lady at a slot machine that would cash out after every spin and reinsert the TITO, and repeat. Every. Single. Time.

2. At another machine, a lady had taped a square with some writing on it exactly over one of the spaces on a 3x5 reel slot. No idea what the rationale behind that was.

3. At craps, a guy had a set routine before throwing the dice. Something like tapping each one on the table a few times, tapping them together a few times, and then saying something. Nothing too weird but 30+ seconds of it every roll...

I also chuckle at the people who rub the slots screens.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going for a Royal, I always rub the screen.

I keep a second player's card on the bar because I don't want to remove mine if I get a 4oak. No rhyme, reason or logic, but I do it.

3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't say I have seen any "strange" ones, but one superstition that perplexes me is the craps players who take forever to set the dice and then blindly chuck them down the table. If you're not attempting to control the dice, then just hurry up and throw

I Need Spa
  4. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 2 minute dice setter is my favorite. Every table has one.

I know people who will only play blackjack at third base, or as long as the table is otherwise empty (when someone joins, they leave).

My mother-in-law is a slot machine screen rubber - and thinks they are a game of skill to stop them (touching the screen on the video penny slot games she plays). Won't listen to my logic when I try to explain.

Also know poker players who prefer certain seats at the table, or don't like certain dealers and will take a 30 min break as long as a specific dealer is at the table.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now THAT is freekin' nuts!!!

6. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At what point (if any) will the crew say something? This guy didn't take 2 minutes but it was a good 30+ seconds every time. Which seems like an eternity when I was watching him do it.

7. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    haha im guilty but im sure shooter is hoping for the same number you are. :beer:

fk

8. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I play the video slots (Mystic Unicorn usually), if the first two columns come up with all the same symbols, I start to hit the third column and yell "Auntie", if the third column comes up the same symbols as the first two, I start to hit the fourth and yell "Auntie" even louder, and if the fourth matches the first three, I hold my hand over the fifth column, close my eyes and hope to hear the machine say "OUTSTANDING"

9. JustNgo

JustNgo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never understood craps shooters that take forever to STACK the dice then toss them (also, for some reason shooters that stack the dice annoy me in general...maybe it's because I am usually opposite of them and have a feeling one time they are going to hit me in the face).

10. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very rarely. I don't remember seeing someone take two minutes, but almost every trip I will encounter a player who takes a solid sixty seconds to throw the dice. Every now and then the boxman will say something to try and get them moving, but for the most part they just stand there and bitch about it with me

I Need Spa
  11. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife wins on days I bang her in the morning. Needless to say we have a lot of sex.

12. Molder66

Molder66 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually if you read some books on craps they tell you ways of setting the dice. It isn't considered "controlling" the dice and is perfectly legal.

I don't have a problem with the dice setters when they are throwing good. When they aren't (throwing good) sometimes I wish that they would seven out because they take so long to throw the dice.

One of the strangest superstitions I saw was at the craps table at the Cal. A Hawaiian guy would set the dice, then put one hand out (like he was shaking your hand) and say out loud "kahuna, kahuna, kahuna", as if to ward off the "seven" spirits. sometimes it works, other times not. One time it was working, the guy was making hop bets and hitting them, some times parlaying it and winning, very impressive roll. Other times he just crapped out after a few throws.

I have another friend, he would set the dice and throw it very high in the air. I thought it was strange but this guy belongs to the golden arm club (twice over) so I tried it myself, only to have it fly over everyone....never did that again, lol.

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dice setting is more than just getting the dice in a specific position before you throw. It's also about how you throw them and where you are aiming. The guys that drive me, and others on this thread, nuts are those that take a minute or two to get them just right and then just whip them down there randomly each time.

15. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which hand I shoot the dice with depends on my position at the table. And I will not drink with the shooting hand as I don't want it to cool off.

Never say "seven" at the craps table of course.

Every damn time my eyes return to the table after oggling a sexy cocktail waitress the dice will have just sevened out.

16. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read those books. And I set the dice certain ways to try and influence the results. Takes about five seconds, maybe seven, to set the dice that way. What I'm talking about are the shooters who spend ten times as long to set the dice, and then fire them off blindly toward the wall. The point of setting the dice (for an advantage) is to try and limit the numbers that will appear, and that also requires a gentle throw. Taking all that time to set the dice and then just chucking them is superstition (like your acquaintance trying to ward off evil spirits). I have no problem with the former. And it doesn't take long to execute if done properly.

I Need Spa
  17. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. Well said

I Need Spa
  18. Bazzito52

Bazzito52 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not normally a superstitious person, but I once read a list of odd supersitions that people believe. For some reason the one that said, "Don't put your wallet on the bed. Your bankroll will go to sleep," immediately took root in my consiousness.

To this day, I can't put my wallet on the bed!

THAT is the strangest superstition. And I'm guilty!

I just hate being like this!:grrr:

19. LA2VegasTrekkers

LA2VegasTrekkers High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't really believe any of it, but the more drinks we have the more likely we are to rub or touch each other's slot machine when we're one real away from a bonus or something. It just adds to the fun and mutual enjoyment.

I've often thought about the idea of a lucky charm, again, more for the fun factor, but I feel a charm has to present itself organically instead of us just going into the gift shop and buying a key chain or something, and it hasn't yet. Maybe that's the reason we never hit the jackpot! JK

20. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

Screen rubbers, of course
    I have seen the ticket thing, but this one was anytime she won anything, cash out, re-insert same ticket

In craps, I have seen guys take place bets "off" after a crap roll and if a shooter gets distracted (waitress or long payout for someone)....if the rhythm gets broken at all, he takes all bets down

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.