1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I'm sensing a trip to Hawaii coming up here

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good for you, but unlike me, you are still a Haole. :Þ

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just filed my taxes. I'm sensing a trip to the liqour store.:cry:

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, enjoy! We both throw a lot of crap back & forth but I would love the idea of Hawaii right now.

Another below zero this AM and I had to go shovel the white stuff that occurred while we were in Vegas. Not major, not even enough to get the snowblower running, but still a hours work. Just a PITA.

But yet, I still wouldn't move back to LV.:poke:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sensing a trip to AC friday

Been to HI twice ,I do like it but long plane ride from here. Golfers are a hearty breed in NJ. Just came from the bar at the clubhouse and two of my friends told me they played sunday afternoon. I dont think it got out of the 30's .

6. exds

exds Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Perfect weather here in Hawaii today. 80s, sunny and warm. In fact just got back from a nice 24 mile bike ride:thumbsup:

7. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the wind changes, there's a bed, a beverage, and an empty kayak waiting. I know some spots the travel writers don't.

8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OMG, next thing you're gonna say is I'm Dutch-Norwegian!!! The horror.

lol

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And we have a winery or eight for you, old friend. :wink

Lanai and Big Island are set. Debating the third.

10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually this winter has been a little warm in Hawaii, temps really haven't dropped that much. Usually during cold winters I wear a t shirt and socks to bed but this year I really haven't had to do that other than a few days last month.

So strange hearing of all the bad winter weather in the east, too bad they couldn't move some of that snow and water to the west coast, California and lake mead really needs some of that runoff when it thaws.

yes, ken, do come and visit us. Weather is fine other than the few passing showers and rain bands once and a while. Even though the news people say it will be rainy many times you can still play a round of golf. I golf just about every weekend (my exercise for the week since I walk the course, and since I don't hit straight I do a lot of walking, lol :evillaugh).

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, Lanai.....make sure you play both courses as they are both neat. I love the hole at Koele where you tee off on the top of the mountain and it drops a few hundred feel below. Also love that par 3 at Manele where you have to hit over the ocean to hit the green.

Big Island also has some awesome courses. I'm going to be there in May and already looking at playing at Waikoloa and Mauna Lani (and maybe Hapuna).

As for the third, you can probably stay a few more days on the big island, maybe going to the volcano to see the lava flows and playing a few more courses, lol. But then Maui, Kauai and Oahu have some nice courses too.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makiki, if I make landfall on Oahu let's tee it up … if you don't mind Jekyl/Hyde golf.

Volcano is in; writing a few articles about it. And I'm also doing something in connection with the 2014/2015 50th anniversary of Mauna Kea. If by some lark they are playing the old routing at Mauna Lani, grab it.

I'll probably wait until the Plantation re-do is done before heading back to Maui and I'm just sick that Makena's coming back as private-only. (Was on Maui in '11, '12 and '13.) Guess it's coming down to Kauai where we were for two weeks in September and Oahu, which is the island I visit the least frequently and am the least familiar with (only played Ko Olina, Turtle, Luana/Royal Hawaiian and Ko'olau there).

I'm not a big fan of bouncing all over but this trip is long enough that nothing would be a two- or three-and-out experience.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha ha, I play the same golf as you....one day I can shoot an 83, the next day over a hundred, lol.

Yeah, too bad about Makena, I thought that I heard that they closed one course down too. There is always Wailea. Maui Lani is also interesting, links type and near the airport, I usually play there the day that I leave because I can pack up and go straight to the airport after I finish, only takes a few minutes to get to the airport. Pukalani is a locals course that is nice to play and not too expensive. Kahili and the grand waikapu (not sure what it is called now) are nice places to play, the grand is supposed to be a very nice course (the clubhouse is awesome to look at, frank Lloyd wright design).

On Oahu I would recommend Kapolei (LPGA plays there), Waikele and Royal Kunia to play at. You can also play at Coral Creek, Ewa Beach country club or the Hawaii Prince. If you have a lot of time you can drive out to Makaha, also a nice course. If you have connections you can play at Hoakalei, an Ernie Els course but you need to know someone to play there. Or if you are ex military you might be like Obama and play at Kaneohe Klipper, Navy Marine (near the airport) or Leilehua. So many places to play. I usually play at the cheap muni courses, Ala Wai, Makalena, West Loch and Ewa Villages, only costs me $26 to play a round there. :wave:

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The South Course at Makena closed down years ago. As you probably know, before then they took the original routing and split it, with nine added to each. (Kinda the same idea behind Mauna Lani North and South.) That's why the opening and closing holes on North play nothing like the newer ones that claw up the hill and tumble back down. That was such an underrated course on Maui. Too bad.

I played Maui Lani in about a 40 mph wind once … then again, that valley is a wind tunnel. Wow.

I don't ever agree with my peers when it comes to Wailea as I prefer Emerald to Gold.

Not sure how many days or if I'll beat my record of a few years back, when I played 17 courses across 20 days and 3 island. :thumbsup:

15. Guardian

Guardian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay you experts. Do most of the courses rent clubs?

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. As with any golf-rich market, the best and priciest sets will be at the resort and high-end daily-fee places.

17. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best to call the course to be 100% sure. As Ken mentioned, the better (more expensive) courses will have the better rental clubs. Some of the lower end courses may not have clubs or may have lower end clubs (names you may never have heard of, lol).

I have friends who like to rent clubs to try them out, some courses have the latest Callaway or Taylor Made clubs. The rental rates vary with each course.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For anyone heading to Kauai, here's a piece I wrote about affordable golf on the island.

Los Angeles Times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.