1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How often is too often?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Readingfanman, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got back from just my 2nd Vegas trip on Tuesday, and am pining already to go back.

Problem is, for me the average trip, before any expenses is going to cost me around $2200 for airflight and hotel (Not getting any mailers for hotels, nowhere near enough the budget to get them). Meaning my next trip is far, far into the distance, as my SO wants to come with me to Vegas in future, but doesnt see it as her first prioirty to go on holiday.

So could I get away with saving and going across the atlantic for a solo trip, or is a bit sad and degen?

2. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As an aside, if anyone can help in acquiring cheap hotels for those of those without mailers, it'd be much appreciated. Im not getting noticed on Mlife anytime soon thats for sure! :cry::cry:

3. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought this was a sex thread and my answer is there is no such thing as "too often". :beer:

As for cheap hotels, best to check all available sources. Even if you aren't getting MLife offers, log into your account when you check their rates online, you'll almost always get a better rate than if you don't log in. Call the hotels directly. Check this site. Sign up for players cards online for any you don't already have. You'll get on their email list. I've got good offers that way without ever playing at a place.

Also, I don't know if the airline you fly offers flight/hotel packages but that can be a good way to save cash. Southwest often has some good packages.

4. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My $2200 is coming through a package :(

Flew directly with BA from Heathrow last week. Only other way to do it would be to fly to NYC at about $800 return, and then look for a cheap return from there.

And you are correct, there is never too often. :thumbsup:

5. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How long do you usually stay for?
    Do you need to be on the strip?

Our latest flight purchase for April/May was £523 each with Delta. We generally stay off strip or Downtown. $2200 seems quite expensive to me.

It's never too often to go to Las Vegas. We go twice each year.

6. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We love going to Vegas ... typically 3 times / year, but actually went 4 times in 2013. We are both retired, have a decent pension, and years & years of savings & investments, and our kids are both adults and long ago moved 300 miles away.

We fly Southwest out of Chicago with decent airfare prices, and always have our Vegas rooms comped, along with many comped meals. So, we schedule our Vegas trips at times that we are free of obligations, and fully enjoy our Vegas trips whenever possible. :beer:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  7. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try booking your flight separately. You might consider staying at a couple hotels instead of one. Join MyVegas app on facebook and get up to three free nights per trip when you play the game. You can alternatively use the game for shows, clubs, attractions, freeplay, etc. Go to betterbidding.com and learn how to use hotwire.com (hot rate deals) and priceline (bidding) to find the best room for you. The hot rate deals will give you information about a hotel without giving you the name and the prices are really good but they are non-refundable so you want to know what you are getting yourself into first by perusing betterbidding.com. I usually purchase a night or two from hot rates and then after you learn officially what the hotel is, you can add 2 nights to the dates you paid for afterwards with the add-to-your-stay feature with lower rates than you booked it for usually. In this way, if the hotel is not what you wanted, you have not risked much but if it is then you know it's worth paying for more nights. Booking.com, expedia, bookit.com, lasvegasdirect, vegas.com, easyclicktravel, and i4vegas.com are typical third-party booking sites that people use.

But if you are interested in future comps with properties, you should be charging to your room, which requires you to book directly with the hotel as opposed to with a third-party booking site. In which case, you should still check for discounted rates on mlife and CET. Also las vegas advisor has a list of current deals and most hotels in Vegas http://deals.lasvegasadvisor.com/hotels.

8. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going solo to Vegas is an excellent decision.

9. Readingfanman

Readingfanman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just realised like an idiot I was working out the price we paid between us :eek:

Last time I paid around £800 for 5 nights at Monte Carlo with fights which was actually a pretty good deal, it's more then the bankroll on top of that I have to worry about! I'd prefer to be on the strip, downtown doesn't really do a lot for me despite the cheaper minimums.

10. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We often stay just off strip, but walking distance away. Tuscany Suites is very reasonable and so is Platinum at certain times. Way cheaper than strip properties and very nice rooms too.

11. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just because you don't get mailers or have anything in your MLife account that works for you doesn't mean they don't want you back - a lot of people in the past have said that they don't send offers much to people in the UK in general.

I would try phoning them up and seeing if they can do anything for the dates you are considering. And don't just go with one hotel and if that place says they got nothing for you give up, try another one of their properties, particularly the ones you would have gambled at the most last trip.

For cheap places to stay: Downtown at The Golden Nugget can be a bit expensive to stay at (really depends on the time of year) but most of the other properties on Fremont Street are probably going to be $25-35 per night and then you aren't too far from The Strip by bus or cab.

12. Kiwicol

Kiwicol Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi mate.

I get very poor (or no) offers through Mlife. But when I speak to them I usually get free rooms and better offered.

I suspect the fact I am overseas, not a whale, and only visit once a year counts against me through the website. But as Auggie says that doesn't mean they done want me. Worth a phone call or email.

13. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    maybe that's why you don't get offers...

a lot of it is time of year - friends are paying about 600 next month on virgin - fly it enough and you can use points to bring the price down a bit.

hotels - try hotels.com and booking.com to search for places - and then check the direct website of the hotels. and sign up for email offers on them.

stuff like the westin, Tuscany etc are just off the strip if you don't mind that.

we normally do downtown so get crazy cheap deals (or free!).

so er - less fighting :D

14. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like CET is always tripping over themselves to give away comped rooms, Sun-Thu, at Harrah's, the Quad & Rio. I'd call their 'Total Rewards' number and see what they'll do for you.

Annual Spring Trip!
  15. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For some the answer is the same. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.