1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown Buffets

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by KimberlyJ, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wasn't sure if I should post this in the "downtown" section or this one.
    I have a quesion: Which buffet do you think is better for a Saturday Brunch Buffet?
    My husband wants to go to MSS, and we were there about a year ago so I know what to expect. I would like to try something different and go to Golden Nugget's buffet. Which would you say is better?

2. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO.. MSS is the class of downtown. But to be fair I havent been in a while and have seen good and not so good on BOTH places mentioned. That said if you want simple and well prepared food and aren't expecting lobster thermidor or tenderloin of yak, you should be fine at MSS.

3. Texas Gramma

Texas Gramma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyplace but Nugget

I was very disappointed in the Golden Nugget buffet. Had expected it would be unusually good, but it was not. There was a decent choice of food, but none of it was especially tasty. Almost anyplace downtown is better.

4. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll echo what others have said. As much as I love the GN, the morning buffet is fairly average. If we didn't always get a BOGO coupon, I'm not sure we'd bother. It's been almost a year since we've been to MSS, but we still haven't found a better spot for breakfast downtown.

5. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I totally agree with Texas Gramma. I would go to MSS without a second thought....good variety, good quality, displayed well, nice facilities, and not the most expensive. I tried the GN last year and was very disappointed. I also enjoy the Paradise Buffet at the Fremont but MSS woud still be my first choice.

Jimbo338

6. markmetin

markmetin Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve also had mixed experiences at GN – not bad but prefer MSS. You may also get Manny at the omelet station (“Welcome back, movie star!”).

One other thing I would add (having been to the MSS buffet more times than I can count) is to avoid going at the top of the hour. Instead choose something like 9:40am or 10:20am. I think large groups tend to meet-up and enter at the top of the hour, so the lines seem to be much shorter at other times – weird but that’s my experience. I should qualify this by saying that even the long lines move fast, but waiting for a half hour seems like an eternity when you’re hungry (and a hot craps table is calling your name). Cheers and good luck.

7. uli_1515

uli_1515 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time we were at GN, we got comped at the buffet (long story) and only had time for breakfast. It was pretty good, but if we would have paid for it, it would have been pretty expensive. I also would suggest MSS buffet as it is not very expensive and has a good selection.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  9. MisplacedTexan

MisplacedTexan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ooh! I'd forgotten about this place. Putting it on the list for our next trip. Thanks!

10. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Bear in mind that I haven't ate there for 2-3 years, but I preferred Fremont's weekend brunch to MSS. What stood out is the prime rib and crab claws. Not sure if both are still served, though. Ocassionally, they have been known to slip lamb chops one it, as well.
    However, the room and ambience at MSS is superior to Fremont.
    After a few times at MSS using twofers, I haven't wrapped my arms around it yet. It's doable, but there is not that one good dish that sticks out.
    If omelets are your thing, the guy who makes them is indeed good.

11. TequilaCat

TequilaCat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really think that MSS doesn't deserve all the praise that it gets. Yes, the Omelet guy is great, but the rest of the food tastes the same, no matter what it is supposed to be, and the service otherwise is lacking. We love the brunch buffet at Fremont however. The food is great, although it isn't as big of a selection as MSS (but everything tastes like it is supposed to), and the service is excellent. If you are choosing just between MSS and GN, then I would definitely rank GN over MSS. (But I rank Fremont above both). :)

12. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all of the help and ideas! I forgot about the Freemont buffet; maybe we will try that out!:licklips:

13. OnTheHorizon

OnTheHorizon Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The ONLY good thing I thought was about the buffet at MSS was that I got a 2 for 1 on it. Otherwise, it is just OK. I like the GN buffet much better. (BTW: I'm talking breakfast - haven't been to either for other meals.).

14. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We also think the MSS buffet is overrated. There's a big selection but the food is bland. We literally took one bite out of about 8 slices of pie and went to the next because they all lacked flavor. The food tastes better at Fremont.

15. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This shocks me. It's been a few years but we really really liked MSS. We ate their a few times during our stay. Has it gone downhill?

16. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The MSS buffet has been very consistent for several years, and we have eaten there many, many times, and have no complaints.

Trying to compare it to the Golden Nugget is very difficult, considering how different the two properties are to begin with. The GN charges anywhere from $4 to $6 to $9 more (per person) for their various buffets, depending on Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, or Brunch buffets. Some people love the GN, maybe because it's a "classier" property, and others like the MSS for the comfy atmosphere and lower prices (and possibly easier comps).

17. Oxygenator

Oxygenator Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MSS buffet is ok if you like things served out of a can or bag. Canned fruit slop dropped into a bowl. Bagged salad. Canned corn beef hash , that sits in a pool of grease. Desserts right off of a Sysco truck. The Champagne is gross , and the won't bring it often. Blech. The only good thing about it is the omelet station, and I will say the actual room is better than the GN. The Service has never, ever been good at MSS.

The GN's food quality has been much better for breakfast or brunch the last couple years. They even serve Hawaiian Poke. And REAL corned beef hash, not from a can. Fresh cut fruit. And the champagne is much better, along with the OJ for mimosa's. Service is much better.

Too many people judge the DT buffet's by price and the room ambiance, and are blinded by that. To them, the cheapest one will always be best. "It only cost 8 bucks and it's great!" Um, no.

And It's not like I am judging this from a one time visit, or a couple. Been staying exclusivly DT for almost a decade now, and have watched the slow decline with Boyd with food and service and cutbacks. The free wifi at MSS anyone? Pullman grille anyone? And just a general cutback in comps?

18. TequilaCat

TequilaCat Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Josh - I don't think this is a new thing at all. We've stayed downtown on average twice a year since 2005, and we have tried MSS multiple times and have never been really happy. We didn't start going to Fremont until a few years later, but once we did, we rarely went back to MSS. I was just amazed at how the breakfast stuff tasted just like the asian stuff, which tasted just like the mexican stuff at MSS. And by just like, I guess I mean, bland and tasteless. And the service there was always just a little off. Too long to clear plates and at champagne brunch it felt like you had to trip someone just to get your glass refilled. And this was consistent, we kept going back because people raved about it, and that just wasn't the experience we were having.

Fremont however has always been a winner for us. Great service and the food tastes like it should. Sure, the room isn't as pretty (although it is classic Vegas, which has its own charm) and there isn't as great a variety of food, but the food quality is solid and the service is generally super pleasant and prompt.

I don't think that GN is worth what they charge for it, although the food is good and the service ok. We only go when we have a 2 for 1 coupon. In that case we don't hesitate to go for breakfast into lunch.

But if I am paying for it, it's Fremont for sure. :)

19. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which downtown buffet is best? It is completely subjective. One person's "good" is another person "bad." Here is my breakfast last fall at the GN..and it was yummy.
    [​IMG]
    Also had breakfast at MSS and it was yummy too. I enjoy a trip to the Fremont as well. They all have good and bad things on the menu.

My first choice would be MSS.

20. ajonate

ajonate Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a Las Vegas local, I don't do weekend brunches. In fact I don't do weekends at all. On weekends they double hotel rates, raise table minimums, refuse coupons, and restaurant lines are long. You can have weekends, I'll take weekdays.

That said, if you're trying to impress someone with a buffet downtown then you'll want to do the Golden Nugget. It's over priced, but it has some gourmet stations. I prefer Main Street Station for myself, since it's priced down to earth and a really good meat & potatoes buffet. But I wouldn't call the Main Street Station buffet a gourmet buffet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.