1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Unemployment and a planned Vegas trip?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by gtomew, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtomew

gtomew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every year I ask for and receive a voluntary layoff for the winter months
    as I work outside so my company obliges. Well a close friend tells me he is
    getting married in Vegas. Will there be any problems with unemployment as I
    still will seek work that week and file on Sun. Just wonder if they can find out.
    Also I definitely know im getting called back as im in a union. Any input ?

2. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I'm not sure how it works, but do you still need to look for work if you already have a job lined up in the near future?

3. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All depends on your state laws. Here in WA you're required to make X amount of contacts per week. Something like 2 or 4? Been a while.

I called them and asked them about the requirements of this, I was a laid off aerospace machinist in 2003 and half the shops in the state had closed up. State told me it didn't matter where I looked for work, just had to make contacts every week.

Call your state employment office from a friends phone number (LOL) and ask them.

4. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last year I went to Vegas with a friend who was on unemployment and all I can say is just don't say anything - go online while you are there and file as you normally would.

My friend tried to do the right thing - tell them he was going on a pre-planned trip and asked how to go about filing while he was away - and they put him through the wringer. He thought he would just not be paid for the time he was away, but the woman he spoke with on the phone was very nasty and told him that his benefits were halted until he provided proof of flights in and out of town and rudely told him that he would not be paid for the week he had already filed until proof was submitted (even though he was ready, willing and able to work the entire week he had filed for excluding the day he left for Vegas). The kicker was he was also looking for work while in Vegas- making contacts and seeing if he could find anything while he was in town.

He was upset and sick to his stomach for the entire trip (essentially ruining it for him) as he was looking for work at the time and really needed the unemployment income until he found something. He vowed that next time he would keep his big mouth shut. That is what you get for trying to do the right thing - kicked in the behind. After witnessing how he was treated firsthand, I wouldn't say a thing.

5. gtomew

gtomew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know I need to make job contacts but I can do that by phone
    just not sure if they will find out about me being out of state in Vegas?

6. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That brings up another topic, here in WA it depends on how your employer did the paperwork, if it's a temporary work slowdown and they know you'll be going back you don't have to look for work. But all states are going to be different.

7. gtomew

gtomew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info keepin my fingers crossed meanwhile.

8. Todd_Royce_XXL

Todd_Royce_XXL Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most likely they won't.
    Plus, any time I've ever had to do unemployment, I could just send an inquiry email or phone call to a job I'd already applied to "Just checking up on my application" or whatever, and that counted as one contact. So maybe just do that.
    Keep in mind, most unemployment offices are not watching anyone like a hawk unless they have a reason too, there are far too many people on UE right now. If you don't raise any red flags, they won't care.
    And worst case scenario, you just won't get your benefits for that one week.

9. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

The only way they will find out is if you tell them. If it wasn't such a red tape nightmare, then I would say tell them for your own peace of mind and just forego that week of benefits. The friend I went to Vegas with did not have peace of mind after telling them - his trip was ruined.

If they try to make an appointment for you during the time you are planning to be away, take the appointment - then call in to cancel the day before and say you are ill. Just make sure there are no slot machines going off in the background lol

10. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You voluntarily give up a paying job and then you collect unemployment from the government??

Unemployment is for people who are having a hard time finding a job...you have a job, give it up, and then lie about looking for a job so you can get paid to be vacation?

And you are having a moral conflict about not telling them about being on vacation in Vegas? But no moral conflict about cheating the system?

I think I am confused...

11. tmaas21

tmaas21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got to love people working the system. Wish everybody else would realize how much these people are costing us. Unbelievable.

Have a good time in Vegas spending someone else's money. Put my portion of it on black please.

12. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It isn't like you are on parole. If you keep up with your paper work, you can do that anywhere. Who is to say that you didn't go out of state to look for new work??

13. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just don't out yourself online; facebook, twitter, whathaveyou.

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a sentiment among some that workers (and employers) pay into the system of unemployment, and that therefore it's just getting back one's own money, even if one quit working of his/her own volition.

I don't tend to agree with that. Same reason why my property and special taxes are the same as the guy down the street with six kids in the system to our none.

But this is VMB, not some morality play, so whatever.

15. Ulose

Ulose Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Question for ya. If you hit a big progressive will you continue to cheat the system for my hard earned tax dollars?

16. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    His employer knows what's going on and it directly effects what they're paying for UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE.

I've known a few guys here in the NW that worked for roofing companies, They asked to be laid off so they could go salmon and steelhead fishing in the fall and winter, they could get by on unemployment, the alternative was the employer lay off the guy with a few kids and on the lower end of the wage bracket who couldn't afford it.

Trust me, there's much worse people abusing the system.

17. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    or VMB???

18. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Asking to be laid off during a set of RIFs is way different then asking to get laid off so you can have the winter months off to dilly dally, and then go back to your job when you are ready.

Just because there are worse people abusing the system doesn't make it right for a "less worse" person to do it...any and all abuse is wrong.

19. dannyg1001

dannyg1001 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    indeed. :nono:

20. Motorcat

Motorcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So glad I am not the only one who is like WTF with this question.

I've worked every day since I've turned 14 barring a hernia surgery - it pisses me off to no end to see people making welfare a lifestyle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.