1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How would you feel about this?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by dfalk, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So 6 months ago I let everyone know I'm planning my birthday in Vegas in March and invited like 20 people. Right now there is 8 confirmed guests with maybe a few more coming. A little bit ago I get a text from a really good friend of mine which said "So we (him and his fiance) might be combining your birthday and our wedding"

All I could think was did I really just read that right? I pretty much said that's fucked up and rude to just think you're gonna combine your wedding with my b-day since we are all already down there. And to top it off most people coming can't stand his fiance.

So how would you feel if your good friend tried to crash your 6 month-pre-planned-birthday trip with their wedding?

2. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is two totally separate events. Sounds like a disaster in the making. You cannot cut loose and enjoy a birthday weekend if everyone has to worry about a wedding. I guess on the other side, if they just intended to go quietly to a chapel on their own and then just celebrate with the group as intended it may be okay. Combining what I know about women and weddings, I would say that would be highly unlikely though.

3. Tuna

Tuna High-Roller

I don't put much stock into birthdays after 21. I understand that people don't like his fiancee but that wasn't enough for you to not invite the both of them for your bday. The same people were going to be around her either way. I've always found it childish when people call it a bday weekend anyway. You get one day and unless you are paying for everyone to go then you don't have much to say about how they spend their time.

4. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    every year its my 21st birthday:thumbsup:

5. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Forgot to add, I never ever invited her to begin with and she is the last person I would want to see in Vegas.

6. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aren't friends great?

7. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We ran into this a few years ago. My traveling buddies and I (3 of us) ALWAYS would go to CES/AVN back when it was all in the same week. Soon, the 3 of us morphed into a group of 10-12 people. This group would travel to and from together, but mostly would be on their own for the trip, save for a few dinners or nights out at lounges together, etc.

Then some guy we know, not close to us, but knows everyone in the group, announces one year that he is using our CES/AVN trip for his birthday trip. Everyone was like "well, Vegas is a big place, have fun". A few from the group hung out with him for his brithday, but most didn't.

It is rude to try and commandeer an already-in-place celebration for your own. But hey, he and his bride might not get the following they want. Thing is, nothing you can do about it. Whoever celebrates with you, great! Whoever doesn't celebrate with you, maybe next time. Either way, enjoy your birthday in Vegas - the greatest place on earth!

8. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The fact that it’s a birthday is completely irrelevant. You’ve organized a Vegas trip that I assume would be a completely different type of trip than a trip to Vegas for a wedding would be. Now your friend is essentially saying that it’s no longer going to be the trip you had planned. It’s going to be his wedding trip.

Lame.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First, ignore the lectures you're getting.

Do you trip as planned. Tell your friend you hope you can attend his wedding but since other adventures have been in the works for a while you can't promise anything.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with Ken!

11. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it all depends on how good of friends you are with this guy. If he's a really good friend that you'd hate to lose, then enjoy the wedding with a smile. If you're not really that great of friends then i'd tell him i'd make the wedding but I already had other plans set up before he announced his wedding.

How i'd feel about this personally would all come down to how good of friends we are. If it's my best friend then i'd welcome the extra celebration. If not.....then i'd be slightly annoyed. Of course it all depends on how big of a celebration they're having. If they're really not asking anything of you and planning on getting married while they're down there at a small chapel.....then who cares? If it's a big wedding that's going to take a lot of your vacation time.....i'd be frustrated (unless he was a really really good friend of mine).

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What Josh said.

13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Find a crew of midget Elvis's to run amuck at his wedding.

14. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was this a mixed (male/female) trip to begin with, or was it just guys going for your birthday?

15. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, I would not care whatsoever. Even though I often invite friends to Vegas, I learned long ago, plan your fun and if your friends want to participate, they will. If not, they can find their own fun. Do what you want to do and if other people partake, fantastic

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  16. salukidean

salukidean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just plan the bachelor party, "accidently" take some video on your phone, and make sure his fiance is able to see it. There'll be no more wedding to ruin the weekend.

17. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mixed, probable 25%F 75%M

Ya that's the thing that really pissed me off. I've been planning this trip for 6 months. I've been helping/sharing all my Vegas knowledge with my friends so they know what to budget, how to get cheap rooms/airfare etc. Then for him to think "well shit, everyone's already gonna be down there lets just have our wedding also" is not cool in my book.

He was one of my best friends. We have a close knit group of about 15 friends. Who do shit together all the time and hang out on a weekly basis. After my friend started dating this girl we started to see less and less of him, mostly cause none of us like his fiance. If the past 2 years or so we're lucky to see him once every 4 months.

After talkin to him some more it sounds like they just want to do a small chapel wedding, which really won't be bad at all.

I think i'm just gonna stop being a whiny bitch and say hey you can come if you want, but just know I never invited your finance to my bday trip, I don't care for her and there's people in the group coming that also don't care for her. Just make sure you tell her that and she knows.

In the end it's Vegas I can get lost and do my own thing if it comes down to it.

18. Aftermath

Aftermath Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd purposely party my ass off the night before and show up to the wedding shit faced. If they complain tell them "We're celebrating my birthday in Vegas, wtf did you expect?!"

Remember, it was your birthday first before it was their wedding.

19. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this about sums it up. Viva!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you might spend an hour an hour at the wedding and then be off to do things your way. Not a bad compromise in my book.

20. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear you are talking things through with him, sometimes it just takes a little communication to get everyone on the same page. Don't sweat it, you're going to have a blast.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.