1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What shall I use? AMEX or VISA?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dean_1492, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I pick my car up at LAS, what card should I use? AMEX or VISA? I have State Farm auto.

I used to use my VISA card for my past rentals, but have switched to AMEX lately. I am one of those guys that whats to make it all complete. I realize I have to turn down the insurance policy that Alamo offers me. Many years ago, I had an accident, and even though I had State Farm ins, Alamo got me for $450 because of the lost time for the car. (having it fixed), even though my insurance covered it.

I was just curious about the additional coverages, which one is better.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It depends on the insurance on your personal vehicle. Before I got my new car, I was driving w/o collision on my old car. Then I would use AMEX. They have car rental coverage you can sign up for.

It is $25 per rental and is good coverage. You have to sign up for the program, but after that, it is automatic every time you rent and use their card.
    Got the new car now, so I'm back to full coverage.

3. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    depends on what specific visa/amex card.. each one offers different coverage

4. dean_1492

dean_1492 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe I have full coverage on my cars here, so I don't think I have to buy anything else, I was just looking at some back up thru these cards.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As always, talk to your personal agent and bank(s). One thing not universally included in all policies/cards is loss of use.

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^This.

Some personal car insurance policies cover car rentals as well, but not many people have this type of policy.

If you list the specific cards you have then we can give you a better idea of which card you should use. Some cards only offer CDW/secondary while some offer primary. A few that offer primary are the Chase United Explorer, Chase Fairmont, Chase Ritz-Carlton...

AMEX is mainly CDW/secondary but they offer a premium car rental insurance of $25 per rental period.

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, check on your individual card policies. Some of the major credit cards actually cover loss of use at differing levels but one doesn't at all. I am pretty sure Visa offers it for certain cards, not certain at all what AMEX covers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.