1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

CNET v Consumer Reports

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Getting ready to buy a new idiot box and so using some of the usual resources for reviews. Always strikes me how, in this case with TVs, these two sources can be so diametrically opposed in their conclusions.

2. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For 2014 Vizio is introducing full array led tv's. I plan on buy one to upgrade my 47" Vizio. While I'm happy with my current tv I want something larger. Plan to go 60 or 65 inch. You can do research online to determine what's best for you. I think Vizio is the best bang for the buck.

3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a 65" Tosh DLP. Haven't watched it enough to burn through lamps but we are getting the star effect with some of the mirrors, with more to come assuredly.

Fairly certain we're getting a 65" Pany plasma, mostly because of our room configuration and the angle-of-view shortcomings of LCD/LED.

Dollar-for-dollar plasma is certainly the true best value out there, except of course for those who don't want plasma or can't have plasma. ;)

4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmmm... I was aware of that, it's been years since I saw a Consumer Reports magazine (assume it's electronic now). I buy a lot of electronics and it drives me nuts reading reviews on products, as they always seem to be all over the place. It's rare that something is either loved or despised by users.

5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @BBT: Please don't take my "best" quip as a jab. Just something I always have a jest with around here, be it the "best" hotel tap water or the "best" hot dog or the "best" religion.

Smart, that's the thing. What is a person's standing to render a judgment? Had a bad experience at Big Box Retailer so she disses the tube she bought there? Studied electrical engineering at MIT so knows a thing or two about whatever that stuff is? Works for Toshiba so jabs everything Sony or Samy? And how are input and viewing conditions made relative? That set from Costco is gonna look how in Aunt Mabel's family room?

Guess I'm thinking there's more expertise and less bias at a place like CR or CNET. Maybe I'm just a rube.

6. crussader

crussader Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's by far the best choice currently out there.

When it comes to AV equipment, companies like CNET and Consumer Reports base their opinions on cursory reviews. To get a true evaluation you have to go much deeper than they will ever have time for. Best source of information is avsforum.com.

7. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go there a decent amount.

I also use Consumer Reports Online and CNET. Reviews should be taken in aggregate.

Also I have 5 HDTVs and I'm not upgrading any TV unless I'm going to 4K. I just don't see the point otherwise.

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There should be a good way to use them both. To me, CNET will let you know who does the bell and whistles better while Consumer Reports will be more focused on how easy it is to use, what kind of failures the readers experience early on and just whether people feel they got their money's worth. Even for their professional reviews, I don't think CR is as techy as CNET.

9. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CR is more scientific.

I've used CR for my front loading washing machine and dryer, riding lawn mower, French door frig, vacuum cleaner, and a number of other things.

I give my login to family to use when they are thinking of buying something.

10. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I typically aggregate as many reviews as possible (from sources I trust). Are CR & CNET in direct opposition on the tv you're considering? I agree with opinions above - I tend to look at reports of problems over time in CR and features on CNET. (I get CR online through the university library but my public library also has a subscription so before I realized I had online access, I used the public library hard copies....)

And usually, after a few weeks of stewing, I throw up my hands and say "screw it" and go eeny meeny miny moe:evillaugh (sometimes, it really does feel like that!)

11. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. BlueBellThunder

Trips to Las Vegas:

I certainly don't take it as a jab. The one problem I personly have with plasma is in a bright room the picture isn't that good. Now if it's a dark room or a finished basement then plasma is the best bang for the buck. And Panasonic does make the best plasmas for the price. As far as Cnet or CR I like both of them. Although Cnet is biased to Apple products(which by the way I love all things Apple). That is my only grip with Cnet. I just wish they wouldn't gush over all things Apple all the time.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Hoya, yep, on a couple sets the two aren't diametrically opposed but certainly aren't in agreement.

Not really sure why I still get CR, except perhaps for the failure reporting, which of course is members/users writing in so you need to take that with a grain of salt. We've made a number of purchases of items CR recommended and they were fer shiatski as it turned out.

Nice set, Don, but wouldn't that be a little ostentatious??? (Never thought I'd get to the point where I'd be telling Don he has a nice set. lol)

On LCD v. plasma, I'm weighing the ambient-light issues vs. width-of-field limitations.

15. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing most people overlook is where the electronics actually come from.

There are only a handful of factories that are making them and they basically are all using the same parts and same parts suppliers.

Sure, for more money you do get more actual product but if it has features on it you will never use why pay for them?

Look at your phone or computer. How many features and programs on on it you have never and will never use? I just found something on my laptop yesterday for the first time and its 3 years old.

Get one where the benefits of the features meet your needs.

In 3 years will the device still be useful? Thats about the life of them anyway.

16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eddie, do you have some specifics as to the two dominant technologies?

(As for three years, I have plenty of electronics and gadgets that belie that concept.)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  17. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those wanting to go 4K now there's always Seiki.

I was thinking of going to Seiki for a extra large computer monitor (excellent with some tweaking of settings).

I'm not ready to go 4K otherwise since there isn't much that will utilize it yet. It is moving along tho' so I'm not wasting anymore money on last gen tech.

Plasmas are great for angles but we don't really care about watching TV from the "sides". The basement room is set up to watch from the front anyway. Plasmas are also a bitch to hang since they are heavier than LCDs. LCDs weigh....nothing. I have a painting that weighs more.

LCDs are so convenient and cheap that I hung one in my kitchen and there's barely any bezel (LED LCD).

Another thing to consider is the refresh. I hate when I see folks buying cheap 60hz TVs. 120hz or higher and if you like the soap opera effect in your movies, your Blus will have it. It's excellent for action movies but it throws some people off.

18. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wish you luck with whatever you decide on

To me all these flatscreens have great pictures from my perspective,but I grew up on 19" b&w sets with rabbit ears.Seems like whenever you buy some tech thing the next year they come out with something better.

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yet more things that go into the personal nature of this decision.

Angle is important in our great room because of its size and configuration; most seats sit well centered but there are those on the periphery where an LCD just washes out. We could center over the fireplace but that's pretty much a no-no for that and other reasons, though it looks trick in model homes.

"Cheap" is relative, and apparently not everyone picks up motion blur.

What's this basement thing of which so many of you speak????

Just wish our Costco or costco.com had a 65" plasma so we could test it and then return if the lighting was bad.

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

Four letters for you, jg: OLED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.