1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Under-funded and un-disciplined

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Electroguy563, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ever traveled to Vegas with people who are under-funded as far as bankroll and travel expenses and un-disciplined to the point where they are broke after a day or two?

Then have them follow you around with sad puppy eyes and droopy frowns? Had them sit next to you at the machines and listening to them occasionally sigh....:grrr:

Aside from making a note to never go with them again, how do you deal with this while still in Vegas?

And how do you tell them "NO" nicely the next time they want to tag along again?

These are really nice people, it just stresses me out and puts a damper on the trip when they do this. I end up giving them money to play and footing the dining bill. Then I dodge the question when they ask when I'm going to Vegas again.

How do you deal with these "Vegas companions"?

2. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just stop telling my friends like that I'm going.

Fk

3. Lhammer28

Lhammer28 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubs and I usually like to go alone bc we are both undisciplined and always underfunded, but as ive posted before we manage to make the money last or at least we have access to more funds so were never really broke, but weve gone out there on 3 trips now and brought people who didn't gamble too much. I don't get why people when they are in Vegas, just live a little! The first time wasn't so bad, a single co worker of mine wanted to tag along, and we actually had a suite at the Gold Coast, nothing too fancy but plenty of room, so we let her bunk with us, she was basically on her own but when we went places like Red Rock or Off strip she would come and I know she was broke, but she sat aside me ordered drinks,I tipped for her, she wasn't an issue at all and loved every min she was there. But the last 2 times we went with a few people who don't really gamble at all. So when I tell them I budget $300/day Im talking just for gambling. Food/souvenirs/entertainment, I put on the room or the CC so I don't budget for that. people go off what I tell them, and I guess I was wrong for them & the don't keep up.... Id rather just go to Vegas alone anyways (just hubs and I) we both gamble and drink the same so its a lot more fun then trying to entertain others!
    but most of the time its simple:
    They are adults and if they cannot entertain themself in Vegas then you got issues!

4. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All the traditional friends I have taken or met out there were reluctant gamblers on tight gambling budgets. It's strictly Lost Vegas with these ninnies. I'd much rather hang out with online friends I have met over the years. Some are degenerate gamblers, but they all appear to be reasonably well funded.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  5. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The guys I go with all have money, but will periodically use up their bankroll & ATM limits too early.
    If I'm doing well, or even "just ok", I will 'float' them a few hundred, with the understanding that at midnight, up or down, they will hit their ATM and repay me. I have allowed my best friend to carry-over debt until the next trip a few times, but it's never been more than $300.

The trick is to make sure it's clear - that it's a loan, NOT a gift.
    As for those who do not gamble much, but want to tag along? I haven't experienced that very much, but for those few times that I have, I urge them to find something else to do that is non-gaming related...go to a movie or show...go bowling...go shopping...hit The STRAT & ride the rides...those sort of things. I tell them that they will be incredibly bored just watching me gamble & then I suggest a dining location for us to meet up at later.
    That's worked for me, anyway.

6. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Years ago we were driving out on a family trip and my dad had a couple he trusted come along with us after assuring us they had plenty of money. Got in the middle of Oklahoma to find out that their idea of plenty of money was $40 bucks. My dad bought their food and paid for their motel (this was early 90s before we stayed in resorts) room but I remember them going around looking for any change they could find on the ground. Heck I had more money than they did at 12 or so years old and I remember them begging me to give them money.

Another time we drove out thanksgiving day. My dad took the owner of the pizza shop he delivered for and the guy lost everything the first night. The guy ended up crashing in our tiny room at the stardust motor lodge rooms

After that my dad would physically count the money of anyone coming with us.

7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've taken family members a couple of times, most of them don't gamble much. We spend non-gambling time with them, usually morning till late afternoon then we split up. They go do some sight seeing and dinner on their own. This way we have the evening to do our thing.

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just keep your future plans to yourself. Or, confront them and ask when they were planning on paying you back for the last trip. "Yea, we had a great time, didn't we? By the way, do you have the $$ I loaned you for the slots and your share of the dinners I picked up?" The first one to open his mouth loses.

There are folks out there who are "get overs", they go through life trying to "get one over" on the other guy. They are just wired differently thinking everyone else is better off than they are so its only natural for the other person to pick up the tab. We all know who they are, so just steer clear. You are obviously very rich because you can pay for a Vegas vacation, so why not share your wealth?

The best thing to do was mentioned by topcard, consider any money exchanged as a loan. If you are having dinner and the check arrives, their portion of the bill and tip is a loan. When you get back home, the "get over" will avoid you and never ask to come along.

My vacation time is too valuable to let someone like this come along.

9. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take the same person every time, she plays the worst paying machines always trying to get more money from me. When she wins she hides the winnings away and asks for more money. If I try to do anything about it I don't get laid. This has been going on for the last forty years! I guess I divorce would be more expensive.

TomTWI

10. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup:

11. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like my brother and sister-in-law.....the thing is they both make really good money but won't spend it...therefore I know not to invite them to Vegas. I only tell those people who I know won't want to tag along that I'm going to Vegas.

12. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "If you ain't got no money, keep your broke ass home" This is a situation where I am cold hearted and cut throat. I have NO sympathy for any grown ass adult who cannot go anywhere and have the funds that they need to take care of their own needs.
    I would have no problem telling a broke ass, undisciplined mofo--NO!. Why should I allow anybody to mess up my good time? I am not going to fund any body's trip. I will not do it. There will not be any loans on anything else coming from me. When I go to Las Vegas, I take just enough money for me.
    I have no sympathy for a situation like this. This is why I enjoy going to Vegas solo. No drama.

13. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha love this post!

And to the OP, I just wouldn't mention your trips to them.

14. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sucks bringing broke people to Vegas. As usual, you have to pay for the broke person (meals, taxi, etc.). If they keep doing it over, I would not invite them next time.

It's okay to go to Vegas as long as your have enough to cover your food and drinks. If you want to gamble, bring your own money.

If my friends go broke early, I end up covering the bills. My friends have never payed for a hotel since I always get it comped. I remember when I first went, paying for hotels is not fun.

15. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love this! :nworthy:

:beer::thumbsup:

16. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You described my "Vegas companions" exactly! :thumbsup:

17. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These type of Vegas companions are the reasons why my last two trips were solo.

I've never tried solo before but found the trips very relaxing, fun, and enjoyable. The only thing better than a solo trip is a trip with my wife, who couldn't go with me on my last two trips.

I'm planning my next trip to Vegas in late Feb./early March. Just my wife and me. Looking forward to it!

Only hard part is trying to dodge the "when are you going again?" questions from these people, lol!

18. dvandentop

dvandentop VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    solo trips are the best or go with friends u know like to gamble at your same level if not makes it sorta sucky to have someone who isnt having fun tag along.

if i have a friend who likes to watch and enjoys the slots play then that is good with me but if they act bored while following me slotting that gets annoying

19. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am confused at this point. Perhaps I am too aloof. When friends ask where /when I am going I tell them but we don't go together…they make their own arrangements. If u coddle them along and do all the up-front work then what happens happens. You have to be over 21 to gamble so it would seem that age could \should be able to make their own way. Bailing them out is then your problem...the behavior on the trip is their avenue to rescue (by u the superhero)...friends don't let friends drive drunk and all that....real friends don't pull the business described in previous posts. If they do it is their bed to lay in. Life is too short

20. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.