1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

FAA to Allow Gadgets Gate to Gate

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by smartone, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like clearance has been granted for gate to gate use of gadgets (no cell phone calls or laptops)

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/oct/31/faa-oks-air-passengers-using-gadgets-planes/

I guess I'm OK with this... I fly a couple times a month and use my "gadgets" as much as anyone. I just have heard that most "problems" on a flight occur on take-offs and landings or below the current 10,000 foot level for the use of these devices and I'm not sure I wanna be skating around on Ipads, tablets and smartphones dropped on the floor should something go wrong.

2. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No more stupid SW announcements to shame people near you to turn their devices. :thumbsup:

3. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really sure why it's so important for people to be on their "gadgets" below 10,000 feet. How long does it take for a person to just wait until the plane hits the 10,000 foot level, anyway ? Some people act as if they are going to have a personal addiction crisis, if they can't have their "gadgets" in their face 24/7.
    Jeeez ... take a break, take a breath ....

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's still up to each airline to decide if they will alllow gadgets to be used gate to gate.

5. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aint that the truth!!

Or the people who cant drive a car without talking to someone on the phone...:grrr:

6. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes you just want your music on, or you are finishing off an email or text message to a love one before pull back and you get hassled by the FA. I am happy for the changes. Sure 10,000 only takes 5-10 minutes max, but it is just a nuisance (especially on short flights) when you pull out your phone to watch a movie or listen to music and you have to power it off and then on, and then off, and then on again...

Simple convenience is all.

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't need to text, or email, or call.

But it would be nice to continue reading, etc. The worse part is the timing by the crew. On the takeoff, they are pretty good letting you get back to things. On landing, sometimes they have you turn them off 30-45 minutes early.

8. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My point would be, an e-reader or an iPod is not interfering with anything. Never has, never will. If you are in a 15-plane line-up for takeoff, getting to 10,000 feet can take just a bit longer. And think of the very nervous flier. I would imagine someone in this situation would sure appreciate something to take their mind off of the whole ordeal.

9. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

It's not "5-10 minutes" when your flight is #15 to take off, or your sitting on the tarmac waiting for something, like some guy's bag, or a weather hold.

Because as for present FAA rules, once the door is closed, all electronics off.

From the time they close the door to when you hit 10,000 feet can be 20-30 minutes, or longer.

If I am watching a movie or TV show (recorded) on my iPad, why can't I watch it while sitting? Why can't I listen to music?

10. Jane42

Jane42 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I am reading a downloaded book on my Kindle, am I interfering with anything? If it is, I am going to have to bring a book with me...this is what calms me down for take off and landing! :wink

11. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take off and landing is when most accidents occur. I think people should be paying attention to what is going on around them, listening to the flight attendants, etc, during this time. God forbid they allow people to start talking on their cell phones during flights. I cannot believe how many people wander around with ear buds in these days, almost getting run over, just oblivious to what is going on around them.

I thought I heard on the news where people were going to be required to store ipads, readers, etc in the seatback pocket on take off and landings anyway, so I dont understand why not just power them off.

12. joshcox19

joshcox19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

At this point allowing phone calls and texts during flights would be useless. You will not have service at altitude, no matter who your carrier is.

13. cbkb101

cbkb101 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is me 100%...I HATE the time from closed door to 10000 feet. Feels like forever. Once I can get out my iPad I can relax a little!

14. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That can be solved. Luckily it will not be at this time.

And by the way, many of the 9/11 folks did talk to family while flying over PA.

15. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, however they were not using cell phones. They were using these little gems.

http://pokayoke.wikispaces.com/Airphones

16. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought satellite phones would work at altitude? No idea, just assumed that they would.

17. joshcox19

joshcox19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Satellite phones would work at altitude.. But who in the hell has a satellite phone? I don't know anybody that has one for regular use, plus they're incredibly expensive per minute to use

18. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, my nephews both do. But then they are spoiled rotten and use them for work, supposedly. I just thought that they were common these days.

19. joshcox19

joshcox19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, they're definitely still pretty uncommon. The phone themselves have come down in price dramatically but they're still prohibitively expensive to most people. The cost per minute is still outrageous too. Using one for "non-critical" communication would cost a fortune. Plus I'm fairly certain sat phones are not allowed to be used on a commercial flight

20. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The day that cell phones work on the plane is the day I'll be ready to jump - with a parachute, of course.

At least in the grocery store line up you know you'll eventually escape.

As it is, there are folks that natter on until the flight attendant is practically snatching them from their hands.

I will be thankful to be able to use my iPad for reading.

How will they know if I'm reading or sending something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.