1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Rock n Roll Marathon

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by CopyDan, Oct 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CopyDan

CopyDan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We'll be there for the marathon. Anyone been before during the event? Does it get crazy?

Thanks!

2. msujen12

msujen12 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ran it the last year that they didn't do the event at night, which, honestly, was quite boring. Race that year started at like 6am and while we started down the strip, the whole back half of the run was pretty boring.

There are a lot of people there for the race (and I've heard numbers have increased since it was switched to night-time) but nothing overwhelming (we had no problems with dinner reservations, etc.). My experience was that a lot of people stayed at the hotel where the expo was (Mandalay Bay at that time). My understanding was that some of the lower budget hotels were really busy, but mid to high end were not.

As someone who has ran the race (if you aren't running), supporting the runners is awesome. You never know when someone really needs to hear that someone else thinks they can finish!

3. slimmy28

slimmy28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was scheduled to run last year, but had a death in the family two days prior and didn't go. I am not going this year as I ran different races and honestly, I didn't like the change on the calendar (was in early December last year).

Two years ago I stayed at Mandalay Bay the Wednesday through Monday after the race was completed and I heard lots of horror stories about the end of the race and how chaotic foot traffic was around the finish line. If memory serves, it ended near MB that year and last year the changed the course and many things went better. Whether you are a runner, spectator or innocent bystander, have a great time. I have to imagine the energy is high even for Vegas.

4. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

It got crazy two years ago for the runners in what turned out to be one of the worst organized big-city marathons. Last year, things got fixed and complaints from the runners simmered down from the boiling point of the previous year.
    Face it folks, Vegas is not a sports-minded town like other venues that host marathons. The community pride and involvement is sorely lacking.
    The locals hate the fact that the streets around the Strip and downtown go into gridlock for the better part of Sunday while the event is being set up, run and torn down.
    It definitely doesn't have the party feel you get at other big city marathons.
    On the positive, running the Strip at night is a blast.
    I'm sitting this one out after taking part last two years.

5. ButterflyMtn

ButterflyMtn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm running the half and can't wait! First half ever! Good luck!:beer:

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
  7. CopyDan

CopyDan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife is running the half as well. Good luck!

8. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be arriving at Aria the afternoon of the marathon. I'm not sure what time it starts but if I see some runners I'll cheer them on.

Good luck to all those running in it!

9. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

USCHawks,
    If you are arriving that same afternoon, be prepared for massive road shutdowns near ARIA. If necessary, have alternate plans for reaching yoru hotel.

10. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the heads up! I already read up on some alternative routes to Aria after I found out about the marathon a few weeks ago. The marathon website shows alternate directions for each location on the strip which was informative.

11. DonkHappens

DonkHappens Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.