1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Withdrawing Money For Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by jpete1966, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpete1966

jpete1966 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm leaving for Vegas tomorrow and I stop by my bank to get some cash for the trip. Apparently nobody uses cash anymore because it created quite the problem. I was told in a not so pleasant snicker that I should of called ahead... days ahead of time to withdraw MY cash. I'm sorry, What? I have to get permission to access my own money?

After a tense reluctant decision to "approve" my withdrawal I have some Vegas cash.:thumbsup:

Here's the best part. I'm doing a little digging with the teller to find out how a bank doesn't have cash on hand and the teller says that they would have to order more money on top of their scheduled delivery and they get charged a fee if they do that. Can't have that.:nono: Hmmm a bank having to pay a fee and not liking it. Imagine that.

Anybody else ever run into this? Were talking under 10k here so not an obscene amount of cash by any means.

2. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One word..........Credit Union.

3. vegas3

vegas3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, usually anything over 5K in my area.

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sister couldn't get a grand (yes, $1000!:confused2:) from her CU last trip! She had to talk to several people, go to at least two branches and eventually just had to make a scene.

I use a small community bank. So I always have to give them a heads up that I'm going to need cash. I've never had to be "approved", they just don't keep much cash on hand.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think small business make lots of deposits on a daily basis.

How much are we talking about here?

6. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What you could do next time is rent out a safe deposit box at your bank, withdraw some cash, small amounts if need be, and keep it in the box to use as an emergency fund (like Vegas). Keep two keys, keep the second key in a safe place if you lose the first key. Then you will never have a problem withdrawing cash especially on short notice.

7. KimMelton661

KimMelton661 Guest

Credit unions suck here. We went to cash a check ($2,100) for Vegas and they wouldn't even give us the entire amount. They said the limit was $2000.. :rolleyes2: So insane that they pull crap like that.

8. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have withdrawn as much as $4k from my CU for Vegas trips without any grief.

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, the problem hasn't necessarily been them not having enough money. It's been them not having enough hundreds all the time. I'm no High Roller, but having to take my bankroll in twenties would be very inconvenient.

I'm lucky, though. I use the same bank for my personal account and business account. So I'm in there 3-4 times a week - giving them a day or two heads up has never been an inconvenience.

10. RiddickBull

RiddickBull VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haha, a bunch of twenties. It's fun buying in at a table for over 5k in twenties. Only thing I can think is drug dealer, lol. I have done it many times. I remember this one guy bought in for about 7k in 10 and 5 dollar bills.

I bank at Wells Fargo, not a CU. I have not had this problem before. I will go and withdraw 10k + cash at a time. Maybe it may be easier to bank at a well known bank. I remember I closed a CD for over 20k. They gave it to me no problem.

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get a major bank (BofA, Chase, WF)
    I can get $1000 out of the ATM any of the big three.
    I've gotten $5000 on the spot from a Teller
    However, between $5000-$10000, I dunno...

12. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it also depends on where the branch is located. Some of the smaller branches, like in grocery stores r Wal-Mart, don't keep much money on hand.

I don't take much in the grand scheme of things, but always hit up one of the larger branches around town. Never had a problem getting all hundreds. I use to just take the max out of a branch ATM the day before I leave, and the day of at the airport ATM that my bank has there. But... a shitload of 20's is a pain to deal with so I just goto a teller anymore.

13. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, part of it depends on where you are and how big the bank is--branches of large banks in large cities don't really blink at deposits/withdrawals in the $5-10k range in my experience.

14. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Same here. I've withdrawn $10k-20k+ a bunch of times an no one batted an eye, but I've always done it in major metros. Only once in a suburban branch in NJ while the girl was counting it she quietly asked me, "Is everything ok?" I just laughed and told her yeah I was on my way down to AC. Not paying a ransom or something.

At my banks they usually have them already strapped and they just open them to recount, or they're in $2500 "clips" (paper clips).

15. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    US Bank branches in Chicago give me a hard time about anything over $2,000, and often have to provide it in $20's and $50's.

I had Chase before and they never blinked an eye at $10,000.

Much easier to just wire the money to the cage.

16. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    My only problem has been the bank not having enough hundreds. This last trip my husband went to the main bank after our neighborhood branch could only offer twenties.

17. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use chase and never had any issues, even when I needed 5k in cash.

I plan on taking a limited amount with me next trip and use an atm only if needed

18. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The credit union that I belong to had a branch very close to work, which is why I ended up there. That branch was recently closed, but there are other credit unions I can do (limited) business, one of which is very close to where I live. Unfortunately, because it's not MY credit union, their policy is that they can only let me withdraw $1000 per day. So, if I were to want, say, $5000 Vegas cash, it's either go back 5 different days, or travel 40 minutes across town to get the whole thing. I really need to change banks.

19. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With all respect, but to each their own.

We have a stash at home of quite a few thousand. Way too much work to go to the bank and deal with a safe deposit box. If the ATM does not solve our "emergency" issue, we just go take a few thousand out of the secret place.

20. jon95616

jon95616 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I had this problem.

For me it's $400-500 a trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.