1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown - Main Street Station dining comps

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by Buddha, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, folks ... the bean counters at MSS have now made it a little more difficult to get a meal comp at the player's club. We just returned from there a few days ago ... still working on my trip report ... and we quickly found out that the "clerks" at the player's club can no longer give out comps to the buffet, like they used to be able to do. An ordinary Mon. to Fri. breakfast buffet, was always the easiest comp to get, but now, you must go through a Host to request any and ALL meal comps ... buffet, 777Brewpub, Market St. Cafe (at the Cal), etc., etc.

On a Friday night, after cycling about 7500 through some VP, I asked a host if I could get two breakfast brunch buffets for Saturday morning ($21.98 value), and even though I was rewarded with a comp voucher, I got the feeling that I barely qualified. But then, on Saturday evening, after cycling 8000 coin-in, I asked another host for a $20 comp to the Market St. Cafe ... and got DENIED !!! I was told that they were "over-extended" on comps, and that I should just use my points to pay for our meal.

So much for our loyalty for the past many, many trips to MSS as Sapphire card members ....

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's sad! Next it'll be resort fees at Boyd downtown.:cry:

Somebody on the board once asked why I don't cash my points in. This is the reason. Some day they are going to tell me no more comps, pay with points. I'm barely holding on to Emerald, but with the trip next week and an Oct 31st renewal date, I should last one more year. I need to run ~$55,000 coin-in next trip to hang in there for one more year.

You and I have communicated through PMs about some of the frustrating things at MSS. I'm still a fan, but no longer in the hooray category.

3. dukeofdarby

dukeofdarby High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not good news------was always easy to get the clerk to give out brekfast buffets----they always checked your play------hopefully the change to a host to make the decision will not change the amount of play needed ----like you,i am sapphire----never asked for any other meal comps,just breakfast----used my points for777----could not get this at other boyd properties like the gold coast or sams town----

4. unomas

unomas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how many points get you X? I am a small player and just signed into Boyds and saw that I have 11,000 points (don't laugh) but is that worth anything? I don't play for comps, but don't turn them down either. I'll be staying at MSS in about 10 days...might be adding to that huge 11,000 # :eek:

5. Aw234

Aw234 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another issue I have with Main Street Station is when using points for a food comp you should receive a 40% discount. Everybody in your party that has a B-connected card should show it to the cashier for their discount. It feels like a game that if you don't say something your not automatically going to get it.

Aw234

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry but I'm baffled by this statement. If you don't show your card, how the hell are they supposed to know who you are, or how many points you have?? What game??

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10,000 points equals $10, if you cash it in for cash. If you had a $10 food bill and paid with points, they would deduct 6,000 points from your account, or a 40% savings.

8. unomas

unomas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks Joe!

9. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you use points for a meal, therefore lowering your balance, is that going to detract from potential of getting offers for rooms comps?
    I think the players club people say not....they can see your play regardless?

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are two separate categories at Boyd. Your slot/table points and your card score, which determines how much you played and what color your card is.

Using your slot/table points for food etc, does not affect your card score. You already earned those points and using them does nothing to affect your play level.

11. yoyoseven

yoyoseven Grizzled Vereran

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I see the point Joe, especially if you are dining alone. If you've got a comp slip, you must be a B-connected member, right? It's highly unlikely that even a discretionary comp would be issued to a player without tracking their play.

I know at other places (like Sam's Town), when I'm holding a comp slip they don't need to see my player card - they want to see a picture ID to verify that I'm actually the person to whom the comp was issued.....

12. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks
    so I usually play VP, therefore may as well go ahead and use points for meals if I accumulate enough

13. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

That's exactly what I was told when that Host denied my request for the $20 comp. She told me to just pay with my points. Well, I'm sorry, but I want to hold on to my bonus points as long as possible, until I REALLY need them.
    My wife and I have a combined total between us of about 835,000 bonus points on our B-Connected cards ... and there's no sense to use them if my play warrants a direct comp.

14. Aw234

Aw234 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Sorry for the confusion.

Lets say you, your wife and another couple go to dinner at the Orleans buffet and you are going to pay with points. This actually happened. All for of us had to show our sapphire cards in order to get the 40% discount. My card had expired so the cashier had me run to the players club to up date my card before we were rung up.

Aw234

15. HAWJOHN

HAWJOHN Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That happened to us also at the Orleans. At the breakfast buffet, my wife had left her card in the room. I was using my card and paying with points and she asked for my wife's card. I told her it was not necessary when we pay with points at MSS. The breakfast buffet has a discount of only one dollar, not 40 percent. I told the cashier to take off for the entire amount for my wife instead of us returning to the room for the card. I think it was 7.99.

Buddha, thanks for the info. I gave up in working with a host. I was sick a couple times in year 2012 and my gambling was not as usual. I could not get the Silver card. My free play went down to 35 dollars without the meals. My wife still had it so we booked a room under her name and we are satisfied with the Aloha Coupon book. For year 2013 and after three visits, my gambling is back up.

16. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    835k?!?!
    Hole-y-shit!!
    So now I know what I've been doing wrong all this time at MSS!!
    I was supposed to only play machines NOT labeled "$3 per point"
    And I was supposed to always ask for a discretionary before using my points directly!!

Well, hellfire! Now I'll know how to beat them in 2014...

17. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just one more question...They rang up 4 separate checks, rather than 1 per couple?

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm at 1.9 million right now. Every time I hit 2 mil we cash out 200,000 and play some higher limit games then we would normally. It's like a reward to us.

We are comped everything, so the only time I use points for anything else is when we are treating for meals.

19. suecasey

suecasey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So many people do not understand this. You do not get a 40% discount on your food bill. What you get is a 40% discount on the number of points it costs to pay that bill. If you cash in your points, you get $1 for every 1,000 points. However, if you use your points to pay in a restaurant, it's $1 for every 600 points. There's your 40% discount.

Only the person paying with points needs to show a card. It makes no difference if the others at the table have a card or not.

Bottom line is -- your food bill does not change or get discounted by 40%. For example, you can pay $20 cash for your meal, OR you can pay $12 worth of points for that same $20 food bill.

20. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Very good explanation on that, Sue !! :thumbsup:
    I have tried many times to explain that very topic to friends and people we meet in Vegas ... and some look at me like I'm speaking in a foreign language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.