1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The illogic of sports fan-ery

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lotta stuff in being a fan just makes no sense. Now I get the alma mater/hometown/dad-always-rooted-for-them connection. Why should I have an interest in how the Mountaineers do on Saturdays, or Clemson? Yet if Ohio State ends up 0-12, well, that's not such a bag thing, now is it?

And I could care less than nada about the Lakers (and hoops in general), yet I've spent way more years of my life in So Cal than any other place and if I have to choose why not the JailBlazers? And don't get me going on that silly game the world adores with a round ball and feet; rugby is awesome.

Hell, I watch golf, skiing and cycling, though I think the latter is due to it being ADHD-soothing with all the bright colors and movement, and the backdrop is often just damn beautiful. NASCAR? BORING! Indy and sports cars? Very bueno indeed. 9ers? Not on your life. Hello Raiders and Seahawks.

(Can we please not move this to the Sports Book so perhaps more folks see it? Can y'all do that? I'll send over meds if need be. Gracias.)

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *waiting for shipment of meds*

3. Ronoh

Ronoh Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely no idea what OP is trying to say

4. MarkY

MarkY Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken's a good guy with valuable contributions..... that said, I have no clue on this one.

5. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My guess is Ken is saying he either likes the Raiders and Seahawks by default; or he doesn't like football at all.
    Personally, I'm ready for some football!

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is WRONG with you people, forget your Kentionary today????? :evillaugh

Why do we like the teams we like, or even the sports, yet not others? Why should a West Coast guy with no ties whatsoever to the school or state be a WV Mountaineers fan? I mean, it makes sense to like the Ducks, I went to school there, lived in the state for years.

Why does soccer bore the hell outta me yet I like things like rugby and cycling? The Communist all-boys-get-the-same-toys rulebook of NASCAR is yawn-inducing (and communistic in case I forgot to say that), yet essentially carbon copy IndyCars are interesting?

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, you been hitting the wine early today?:evillaugh:evillaugh

8. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People will like a certain team growing up because they might have liked a particular player. That player may might play the same position as that person did (e.g. if someone played baseball growing up and was a pitcher, they might have liked Roger Clemens. That person might then root for the Red Sox.). Biggest reason right there.

I grew up in Washington D.C.. A friend of mine like MJ, so he was a Bulls fan. MJ is gone, but that person still likes the Bulls. A person might like a team's style of play.

Some people will only root for good teams.

Subconsciously, it could be uniforms that the person likes. I liked the Philadelphia Eagles growing up because they had neat helmets.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Neat helmets."

Right there. Exactly what I mean.

I loved the Expos as a kid because of the stylized "M." (Or maybe I put mayo on everything.)

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now Joe, play nice. I wrote 1500 words on Vegas this morn (I know, that's short and pretty turn key) and did a charticle about SB County, drove 700 freakin' miles across So Cal yesterday -- I jest not -- and I'm trying to ...

... get us prepped for Hawaii, baby!!

My brain's a runnin' frenzied.

11. Molder66

Molder66 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Looks like there aren’t any meds left, Ken must of thought they were M&M’s.:nono:

O, the thrill of being a sports fan. I grew up in Missouri and the Cardinals were my football team.
    I moved to AZ and they followed suit. (The horror)

Arizona is fickle for pro sports, everyone is from somewhere else and show up to the games with the visiting teams colors on.

Try going to a Bear’s game dressed like that.

I like watching golf, doesn’t matter PGA, LPGA, Senior, I can sleep through it all.
    I guess I only watch for the blow up’s, that makes me feel better with my game.

Nascar is great, turn on a race, wake up 3 hours later for the last 10 laps. That’s when all the action happens anyway.
    I hate it when I wake up and the winner is in victory circle already.

I worked in the Auto Industry for 25 years and followed Nascar closely until it "sold out" and went corporate. From that point on, it became too predictable and squeezed out the underdogs.
    The only reason I watch Indy car is the nostalgia, I only follow it one month a year.

The rest of the sports, I don’t even have to turn on.
    However, I did nap through some tennis last weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.