1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Which offer would you choose

Discussion in 'Comps' started by AceTen, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AceTen

AceTen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm having a hard time deciding between two offers as I just received my Mandalay Bay offer for the time when I'm already booked at Cosmo. Here are the two options, which do you think sounds better??

Mandalay Bay: 3 nights comp in a suite (doesn't specify the type), and $1200 resort credit

Cosmo: Limo transfer, 2 nights comp in a wraparound terrace suite, $250 Food credit, $400 promo chips.

I like the location of Cosmo, but I think the offer for Mandalay Bay is better...

2. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    double book and eat a bunch at Mandalay....

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like your thinking. MB is definitely a better offer, but why choose? gives you two home bases and you can pop between the properties depending on where your luck is running better.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you think you might be stiffing one of them, then take both. Stay whichever place you will spend the most time. If MB - take a cab and eat the whole $15 charge, skipping the limo.

Again, do both. Stiff one, or at least play enough to show you tried.

5. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great post and have a blast ,.you cant wrong do em both

6. AceTen

AceTen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Booked both. Suite at Mandalay Bay was offered, so I took it. I figure I can go between both as you all recommended. Worst case I eat the cost of the cabs, no big deal.

7. AceTen

AceTen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you!! Looking forward to the trip.

8. AceTen

AceTen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wanted a vista suite for the view, but all they had left was the media suite. Oh well. They said to call back before i left to see if anyone cancelled. You never know! Plus, I guess I have the view at Cosmo, so can't complain!

9. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    did you ask them for a limo pickup at MB? even if it's not specified, I would assume there's a good chance you could get it anyway with that kind of offer.

10. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Play out the promo chips and eat at the Cosmo and put in your gamble at the Mandalay Bay.

I would ask if they'd convert some of that resort credit to freeplay. Otherwise, I'm booking spa treatments everyday and eating Aureole or Mix every night.

11. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the past, I'd say go for it (and have) and if you're going to split your play and you think it's enough play in both places, that's probably still a good idea.

The host I've recently hooked up w/ at Bellagio and I were having a nice conversation and that person told me they are having people "lay down on them" more and more often and when they do, they are now coming in at the end of the trip and reducing comps due to the "expected" play not being anywhere close to what was expected or in some cases even agreed upon, albeit verbally.

Some of the larger gamblers on the board (and you may be one too?) would probably not have an issue splitting play but I know for me, if I split our play between two properties, I'd come up short.

This new host was very stright forward w/ me and I with them...I liked that a lot. I was told what was expected/needed and I told them what I usually give and the response was "that was more than enough coin-in and we would be good to go".

You have to remember I guess, that this is their job and I'm sure they have metrics that their mgmt looks at for job retention.

The only thing I don't know about your offer and if it's treated differently is; is it a marketing offer or an offer between you and your host of up fornt comps? I'm guessing the two might be treated differently but if it's a marketing offer, look thru any very fine print on the mailer about "expected play".

Maybe I'm too cautious but I don't like surprises....especially negative ones while on vacation.

Oh...and back to your orig question...I'd take the MB and also ask for limo pick up as shifter mentioned.

12. AceTen

AceTen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Dean, I appreciate your thoughtful response. Both offers were marketing offers, although at Cosmo my host was able to upgrade my room, and offer the limo transfer. The MB offer was a mailer that I received yesterday. I looked at the fine print, and there wasn't anything. I'll be spending my nights at cosmo since I'm working with an actual person there. I feel that although MB gave me a good offer, since it's an upfront marketing offer, I feel like I have less to lose potentially. What do you think??

13. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd agree....marketing offers and deals that are made with or agreed upon w/ your host are two different animals. In fact, I read stuff on the board all the time where I think people are mixing apples and oranges and if they're new to Vegas, don't fully understand the difference between the two.

Just check for that fine print because I have seen it before on stuff I've gotten...usually on the back and at the bottom.

14. AceTen

AceTen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, I will definitely check one more time.

15. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes. The Cosmo is notoriously bad with gamblers and will most likely rate you far below your play. Not to mention the higher house edge and bad games.

You would have been better off simply taking the marketing offer from the Cosmo and trying to get more out of your Mandalay Bay offer. But, I realize that's not how the offers arrived in sequence.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about trying to make your nut on the comps at the Cosmo. They'll probably short change your play no matter how hard you try and how much you play. I'd definitely try to make good with the Mandalay Bay though. If not, you'll probably lose comps at both places.

16. undathesea

undathesea Grandissimo

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All of those marketing items have something about how the offer is at the discretion of MGM, but I have yet to hear of anyone being charged at the end of their stay for not gambling enough.

I would be more worried about future offers, if anything.

17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, the offers have some "play" fine print, but it is very, very, very rare anyone has gotten hit up for anything.

Cosmo did try it with me once... and charged me for room. Argued a little, then gave up and handled it via credit card. Since there was no agreement anywhere, it went away. And, I only go to Cosmo to walk through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.