1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Car Rental Please Help

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by jam13rel, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jam13rel

jam13rel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im looking at renting a car in november, were going to drive to los Angelas, leave the car there and fly back.

Iv been told by alot of companies that i can not rent a car as i dont have a credit card in my name and this is the ONLY way i can pay the deposit.

What can i do??

2. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it's the only way. They hold your card number in case you take off with the car. You must also be at least 25 to rent unless you want to pay top dollar with a surcharge. And a one way is far more expensive then dropping off at the same location. You may want to fly from LV to LA roundtrip.

3. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Incorrect.. Thrifty allows you to rent with a debit card. There may be other companies. It is a hassle but it is possible

Here is info for Thrifty
    http://www.thrifty.com/car_rental_information/content/car_rental_with_credit_card.aspx

I would recommend to get some kind of pre-paid or secured credit card and look into the the rental car policies for them. In any case google is your best friend.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as costs for a one way, it depends on the city and car supplies, is my theory.

We used to fly into San Diego, stay a few nights with a car, then drive to Vegas, return the car there and fly home. It was relatively inexpensive to pick up in SAN and return to LAS, but maybe Vegas needs more cars and that was why? Just guessing.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While the company may have the same name (dollar for instance), they are independently run so usually have to work things out between independent locations or have it worked out nationally. the car is registered to a certain locale which pays the general fees (vehicle taxes, license and registration, etc.) on the car. Somehow at the end the car is supposed to go back to the primary locale but as we have seen, many rental agencies have out of state cars in their line up so the car stays there. It could be a trade thing, where one car is "traded" for another but if one agency buys a car I can't see them not being compensated or having the car returned to them IMHO.

I remember in Hawaii a few years ago, on the big island I wanted to rent a car in Kona and return it in Hilo and fly home from Hilo. the rental company wanted to charge me $300 for the drop off charge, they said that someone had to drive the car back to Kona. wow! luckily I found another agency that didn't have a big drop off charge.

jam, you should check now for rentals, maybe you can get a lower rate, but you also have to check and see what your drop off charges are.

gguera, does that mean that dollar has the same policy? they are basically the same company, usually rates are the same for both companies, esp in vegas.

anyone work in the car rental biz that can help us out with this one?

6. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alamo allows cash rentals, but they take a large cash deposit, and you need to present LOTS of documents up front (phone bill from a landline, bank statement, airline ticket, etc.)

I did it once in Reno when I knew my credit card was maxed out due to a major car repair just before I left, and it took seemingly hours to make sure I had all the documents. Everything went fine, but it took about 2 months to get that deposit back.

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  7. jam13rel

jam13rel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for your replies. I have made sure the companies im looking at renting from dont charge a one way fee. its just the issue of not having a credit card. I am opening to flying to LAX aswell but, 1) we wanted to drive thru the dessert and 2)we would still need a car in la to get about and see things. Dont know what to do

8. jam13rel

jam13rel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if we did fly to Lax and rwnted a car there, would they still require a deposit? even tho its just for a day?

9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I *KNOW* I've used the Visa-branded debit card at Dollar with no formality at all.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.