1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I-15 in Rush Hour

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by BarbaryCoast, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarbaryCoast

BarbaryCoast Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're landing on a Friday at 5p and heading downtown. Is I-15 your best bet or is there a side street route that's better. Thanks!

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do Paradise to the Strip at The STRAT , then either LVB or Main into downtown.

3. BarbaryCoast

BarbaryCoast Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. Thought I remember 15 being pretty rough during the evening rush hour.

4. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Barbary, it is not as bad as Chicago on a Friday afternoon but only because distances are not as far.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best advice I think. But, how is it to get to Paradise from the new rental center?

The last few times we rented, we got in later and just hopped on the 15.

To the OP, if you decide to take 15, they have two express lanes on the left side that covers most of the Strip area.

6. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Isn't Paradise a one way street heading TOWARDS the airport? I think you need Swenson.

Plus, I have always found 3PM is the "rush hour" in Vegas, IMO.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    DUH! (turning prematurely blonde?) :) I didn't think of that. :)

8. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're at the rental car facility, and want to go downtown, you can also do what we do almost every trip. Exit the RCF, turning right to Warm Springs Rd. , and turn right heading west toward LV Blvd. Go straight across LVB, over the I-15 to the next light (Dean Martin Way), and turn right (north). This fontage road, which eventually becomes Industrial Rd. will go all along the west side of the I-15, and then behind the north Strip. At "Wyoming" turn right, and the 2nd stop light will be Main Street ... turn left, heading directly to downtown.

9. rob889

rob889 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^this :thumbsup:

10. BarbaryCoast

BarbaryCoast Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks again guys. Haven't done anything besides use 15 with past rentals so this helps a bunch.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, Paradise is a two way street, but it does become a one way at Trop heading south into the airport. Qualification: we haven't rented a car in over two years and the limo drivers always take the tunnel outbound and I-15 to Trop going back, so it is possible they have changed traffic patterns?

But I like Buddha's recommendation as an alternative to I-15, depending on the time of day.

12. lasvegas_limo_driver

lasvegas_limo_driver MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I-15

Honestly, if your landing at 5 pm, figure 20-30 minutes for luggage, 20-30 minutes to get to rental car, 30 minutes to get car, rush hour will basically be done. Get out on the I-15, you wont hit to much traffic, be faster than Swenson or Dean Martin that time of day.

13. ItsJustMe

ItsJustMe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you go this route, stay in the right lane as after you turn on to Main Street and approach Charleston. At that time of the day the left lane will be backed up with traffic wanting to turn left at Charleston.

Personally rather I'll take the I-15 to go downtown. Take the Blue Diamond onramp one block south of Warm Springs, cut over to the new Express Lanes, then deal with the traffic as I approach Sahara. Cut over to the middle lanes until after the US95 NB ramp then cut to the right lanes to get to Downtown.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  14. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Yes, we rented a car this last trip and between 3pm-4pm was the only time we ever hit traffic on I-15. All other times it was always smooth sailing.

Even then....what was considered heavy traffic on I-15 would be considered normal traffic where I'm from so it wasn't a big deal at all.

I loved driving in Vegas by the way, people are so courteous it took me a while to adapt from the offensive driving habits I'm used to.

15. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL: After living and driving there for two years, this is the funniest post I have read!:peace:

16. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take Tropicana to Maryland Parkway to Fremont. It takes you out of your way a bit, but it goes by Target, K-Mart, Albertsons, and a bunch of other stores that I usually stop at to stock up on my liquids at. Lots of places to grab lunch of early dinner too. If I am in a hurry, I jump on I-15, even at rush hour I think it is the quickest.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.