1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dollar Rental Car

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ritilinkid, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ritilinkid

ritilinkid Believe it or not I'm walking on air.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just had a very bad experience w/ Dollar. Not in Vegas, but still bad.
    First @ 11pm had to wait 1 hour at the counter (only one person working).
    Had reserved a Lincoln Towncar, counterperson talked me into a Chevy Activa, said it was bigger and more fuel efficient. Told him we needed room for 5 adults and luggage. He said not a problem. PROBLEM. Activa is not meant for 5, nor does it have much luggage space. Had to run golf clubs through the back and into the back seat between the passengers' heads. I noted that the tank was not exactly full. Close but not pegged. He also told me that my insurance would not cover my rental. I was too tired to argue, oops that cost me. Upon return the Dollar rep tried to charge me for fuel (just a couple of gallons) because the fuel gauge was not pegged. I told them what for. Did not get charged. I wonder how many people they charge "a couple of gallons"??

Please, visit any other company first.

The Kid

We're Goin' Dammit
  2. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I would tend to agree with you on your Dollar experience. In the couple times that I used Dollar in the past, there was always the hard sell on insurance, or trying to get me to take a car that I did not want ... for example, trying to get me to pay for an upgrade to a Dodge Journey, when my reservation was for a compact, etc., etc.

In addition, when I would compare the "final" price totals of Dollar, against Alamo or Avis, the taxes & fees were always $10 to $15 higher than the others. I now avoid them completely ... I just don't trust them.

3. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We've used Dollar each time Vegas and haven't had a problem yet. We joined their club (Dollar Express I believe it's called) so we haven't had to deal with the upsell or the long lines at the counter, just go downstairs to the garage and jump in the car and go. We usually get in on a late flight so the exact car we reserved may not always be there, but we've never been downgraded due to this.

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here, a Dollar fan and have never had a problem in Vegas. Dollar Express member and just head downstairs in Vegas for the car. No insurance sell. We have never had a downgrade in car size, but we have had upgrades because they were out of our size choice.

EDIT: For an upcoming non-Vegas trip, the Dollar price was double what PayLess was charging for the same full size car. Dollar is at the airport, PayLess is a shuttle to remote location. We went with PayLess. I'm a member with them also and in the past have never had pressure at the counter about insurance. YMMV.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  5. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dollar express is the way to go. Why in the hell would you stand in line, when you can take 5 minutes on the web and join their program?

You walk right up, tell the person at the kiosk who you are, and get in your car. I've never taken more than 5 minutes to walk from the shuttle to sitting in my car.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.