1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

LAS to Harrah's: LVBlvd or not?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Terry Benedict, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would like to make a suggestion to some Vegas first timers but I don't know the answer. How much more would it cost for a taxi to take the Strip to Harrah's rather than Paradise or Koval?

I figured it would be about $20-25 for Paradise, and about $25-30 for the Strip, including tunnel. Does this sound right?

2. Paulie_D

Paulie_D Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One should never be taking the tunnel to get to Harrahs.

A cab to Harrahs should be no more than $20 using the surface sheets (non-Strip).

3. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terry - your estimates should be spot on.

When you first land in Vegas, which would you rather do - Save $5 on cab fare or get to your hotel as soon as possible ?

Sure, there are times that the strip may be faster, however, virtually any weekend, holiday, or many evenings, the strip is bumper to bumper - stop and go from Mandalay Bay North. And, if there is any construction, or lane closures it makes the situation even worse. Paradise also can get quite congested, especially during rush hour, or if a big event is happening at the Thomas & Mac Center.

Harrahs (along with the Flamingo & Quad) are best/easiest accessed coming West off flamingo from Paradise and accessed from behind (you avoid Strip traffic & pedestrian traffic) so I would always take paradise, and at times, yes, even take the tunnel.

4. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    first dependends on the terminal the new terminal will add around 5 dollars now to a cab ride , go out the front of the airport run beind the strip turn up flamingo to las blvd to harrahs as the construction will block you from runiing behind.
    so if old terminal should be around 15$ plus ,rember thers a 1.80$ fee tacked on.

dont take the tunnel to harrahs its a rip off

ps if your not in a hurry the 7 dollar shutlles are great.

5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Via cab, I would go through the back roads, especially since that is where you access the port cochere. I also wouldn't use the tunnel to that part of the strip. If traffic is really that congested on your desired route, a cabbie can make his pitch and you can make your decision based on whether you feel they are telling you the truth.

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everything that's been said is true, but I take a slightly different view... whenever I pick someone up from the airport (and I do it monthly) who hasn't been to Vegas before... I like to take a left on Tropicana and a right on Las Vegas Blvd and head north. I like to hear them talk about the places they've only heard about and seen on TV as I give 'em a bit of a tour and we head right up the strip. Who wants their first impression of Vegas to be of Koval? Not me...

7. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree and if I were driving, I would take LVB, even though I've been over 10 times. But if the objective is minimizing cab fare, the back way should be cheaper.

8. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    with that logic your 15 dollar cab ride will become a 45 $ cab ride.get to the hotel and do some walking ,much better on you wallet:licklips:

9. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is the new terminal number? Do you know what airlines fly into it?

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. I figure coming out on Sunset or the 215 highway will take them past the Welcome sign, unlike taking Tropicana.

Look, taking the Strip is the way to go for first timers. I was just asking for a cost estimate.

12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I thought your original estimate was probably pretty close. I don't believe the additional cost would as much as some have indicated.

13. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why wouldn't you just take the shuttle from the airport to Harrah's directly? Did that in October to Harrah's and it was $14-16 dollars round trip. Bought the roundtrip ticket right outside where you get your bags and call the night before to set up my pick up the following morning.

I know it stops at 1 or 2 other hotels but it's the only way I have done it over the last 10 years.

14. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. It's not for me, it's for first-timers. The view of the Strip is important. The impact of Las Vegas Blvd is important.
    2. You suggest take the shuttle from the airport to Harrah's directly, but that is stops at 1 or 2 other hotels. That's not directly, and it's probably not down the Strip.

15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As "thrifty" as many on this board are, I'm surprised no one has yet suggested they just walk!

16. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thats what i said take the cab to hotel ( the quick way)and then walk and see the sites

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.