1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Golf in Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by MUFC, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello all, I haven't been on the forum for the last couple of months so I have spent the last week or so reading old posts and Trip Reports which is getting me excited for my next trip at the end of August. In particular Natedog's mammoth TR has kept me busy the last few days, a brilliant read and some great advice and tips from everyone in that TR alone so thanks!

On my next trip i'm determined to get a game of golf in at some point, so can anyone recommend a good course as there are quite a few by the looks of it? I don't have a budget as such but would rather not pay more than about $400 (I require clubs aswell). Also i may get a caddy to keep me company as i will be playing on my own as nobody else i'm travelling with plays golf.

I will post again nearer the time to see if anyone would like to join me for a game.

:thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shadow Creek is $500, requires a caddy, and is the best course in the area. If you already have a $400 budget, I would spend the extra $$ and go there. It is a great experience.

3. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apologies, meant to be post this is Misc. Vegas Chat, not sure how to move it now.

4. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the mods will move it if needed

5. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second Shadow Creek... If you can't get on there, I'd try Cascata as it fits your budget perfectly... They also have caddies and personalized lockers.

Annual Golf Trip
  6. keno

keno obsessed with countdown timers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thread moved

7. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Keno.

Just been looking at pictures of Shadow Creek and Cascata, both look amazing so guess i'll go for one of them. Thanks for the heads up!

8. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only played Rio Secco in Vegas, and it's a great course. Rates in the middle of summer are cheap, $100 or less. Plus they have the T-Mate forecaddies ($200), which is a hot broad that also knows the course and the game (I've never used one, just going by the website description).

You did mention end of August, the course closes on the 26th for reseeding (but the week before that it's only $79, a steal for a course of that caliber).

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What can I possibly add? Shadow is the alpha dog of Vegas golf. And there ain't nuthin' wrong with Cascata, either. (Now I do veer wide of most of my peers who seem to think blowing Steve Wynn is somehow required when ranking Vegas' best. Oh, and don't get me going on the Walters Golf supplicants.)

I guess just to lift the lid on another option, what about playing two for that coin (or less)? Nothing at all wrong with a double at LV Paiute or Primm!

But either way it will be an awesome day.

10. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GolfNow link is a great resource, and will give you a sense of greens fees.

11. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Then again, you can do something very Vegas. I know it is not the greatest of the Vegas Courses, but you can play Royal Links and rent your clubs AND have a round with a PARMATE for about $400 depending on time you are playing.

http://www.waltersgolf.com/par-mates-caddy-program.asp

We did it with two threesomes of guys and both had a Parmate. They were cute and a lot of fun. If I were playing a round on my own, I would do it.

12. MUFC

MUFC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys. Ken, if the others on my trip played golf then I'd be suggesting it everyday! But seen as it's just me on my own I think one round will do me. I forgot to mention i played Bali Hai about 3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't play too well but I put that down to the hangover. I've played about 5 or 6 times in the states and i'm always blown away by the service, you guys really know how to do golf over there.

What's the deal with caddies? Does anyone ever walk the courses in Vegas or does the caddy just drive you round and give you a few tips? As I'm on my own a T-mate caddy may be just what I need!!

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't be envisioning the Old Course or Pebble, with a noble yeoman caddy walking stride for stride with you. The few courses in Vegas with caddies use them as forecaddies, but you can of course at times be sent out as a single -- as I've experienced every time playing Shadow and Wynn -- but it's still not a bona fide caddy. The Shadow guys are way knowledgeable and the best I've had at Wynn was a player on UNLV's women's team, and she had game, of course. The "best" was Lee at Bear's Best, but that was long ago. The Cascata troupe is knowledgeable, as well.

As for the add-ons at Secco or elsewhere, in limited experiences you get a well-endowed chick with some varying degree of course knowledge who largely is there to make you think you're the studliest, funniest man in existence. I think it's silly and a total waste.

I got a good chuckle out of your service comment. I find the over-the-top front-of-the-house "service" at so many U.S. golf resorts just to be too much at times. I'm all for friendly and folks being appreciative of us spending our time and money on 'em, but I don't need 45 guys and gals running around with earpieces and seeing that I don't have to as much as open my own can of beer. lol

14. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    'Can' of beer, at those courses? :beer:

Only time i've had a caddy was years ago at Royal Links. There was a mixup, but as it turned out he forecaddied for myself and the two I was paired up with, rode with me most of the time. Retired New York cop, hilarious and knew the course well. I did read one putt better than him, ha! Just one tho.

Feel the same as you on 'service' Ken. Best 'understated awesomeness' i've experienced is at Huntsman Springs in Driggs Idaho. Most of the golf team came from the Crosby and were awesome. One round only had a threesome and the caddy grabbed his sticks. Wonderful round, he still gave us aim points for drives, read some greens, we just had to repair our own marks and tend the flag now and then...

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's OT but my best caddy experience was at Pebble a few years back. Long story short, I birdied 7, 16 and 17, threw up a HUGE number, and as I'm walking up 18 after going Snappy the Clown to otterland my caddy cruises over, puts his arm around me and says:

"Mr. Van Vechten, you're some kinda fucked up, aren't you?"

Funniest -- and most apt -- thing anyone has ever said to me on a course. He got a nice tip.

Walking a course is so so so much better than being trapped in a damn cart. Having a new-old friend tote your sticks, laugh, apply the needle while you are walking, well, that is what the game is all about.

16. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken got me thinking of my favorite caddy moment/comment (sorry to switch OP's question!).

Playing Bandon Dunes in Oregon - finishing up on the 18th - look over and see two players pulling their pull carts across the adjacent green.

I point at them and say to my caddy "What's up with that?". He replies - "Oh, they're just lining up their putts for birdie."

"Huh?" I say to him.

He then replies, "There's a lot of break on that green."

I had no idea what he saw - pointing again to the green and mentioning the pull carts moving across the green surface. He simply picks up my bag and walks to the back of the green.

I tipped him for the service and walked into the clubhouse to report what I saw - they were not worried - apparently that is common practice and not frowned upon. Right then I realized what "British Open" style of golf was - greens were pretty baked already - with little chance of holding the green unless a more 'spin' ball was used. Rolling a cart over it did not affect the green surface?

Strange?

17. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    pull carts on the greens are actually encouraged in Australia. it helps keep them rolling smooth.

18. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the root causes of a lot of the problems in American golf today: We've created arboretums not venues for outdoor athletics. Our thank-you-very-little-Augusta obsession with wall-to-wall green produces, for the 99.999 percent of courses lacking AGNC's budget, costly, slow-play-inducing, fragile agronomy.

19. 4Eyes

4Eyes Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bandon encourages that as well. Their pull carts have very wide tires so they don't damage the greens. Also, my favorite caddie there (Lance) once told me that it reduces wear on the apron in the direction of the next tee.

20. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the head up - I spent many years in the golf business in Canada, with a good relationship with our Golf Superintendent and never heard of this before - he would kill if anyone got within 30 feet of the green with even with the new style of push carts nowadays.

I think I've gotten too spoiled with near perfect course conditions. Even my home course has wonderful greens with a very limited budget (it is run as a non-profit organization).

On a side note, I haven't been out to Bandon for many years - it was only about $70 for a round when I visited last!!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.