1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The Value of a High Priced Buffet

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Electroguy563, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I decided to put this subject in this section since my question pertains to all Buffets, not just the ones in Vegas.

The price of a Buffet generally dictates what kinds of foods are offered. Buffets in the low and moderate price ranges usually have everyday basic dishes. Higher price Buffets have dishes that we normally don't eat except for special ocassions and celebrations. Higher priced Buffets also offer more variety of dishes than lower priced ones.

Which leads to my question: Why do people think they need to "eat their money's worth" at these types of Buffets? I take this as they need to eat more than they normally would, and they end up uncomfortably full. The most distressing part is many plates go un-eaten and wasted in an effort to "eat their money's worth". Or some would eat like they normally would and feel cheated that they didn't "eat their money's worth".

Wouldn't the Value of a high priced Buffet be in the ability for you to try a variety of dishes you wouldn't otherwise be able to if you were to order them individually at a restauraunt?

An example would be King crab legs. At a restaurant this alone would be 30 to 40 dollars. At a Buffet like Bellagio and such the price of the Buffet is about that much and you get to try other dishes besides crab legs.

I don't feel people have to eat a lot to enjoy the value of a high-priced Buffet.

What do you think?

2. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Agree 100 percent with everything you said.

3. nuggetboy

nuggetboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree to a point but would add an explanation.
    I generally no longer go to high end buffets, perhaps because I do feel that what I eat is not worth the price.
    I do not care for bison, sturgeon, squid, snails, tripe or the myriad of other exotic creatures featured at the high end buffets. I prefer simpler fare, such as prime rib, turkey, or ham. I get good quality items such as these at mid price buffets and see no reason to pay the "exotic add on" price for items which I will not partake in.
    I wish those who love such fare the best, it's just not on my plate. :nworthy:

4. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you electroguy.
    I particularly hate seeing all the waste.

I have refined my high end buffet going, which I love going to. I course it out. I get smaller portions. I quit before I am uncomfortable. I think they are fantastic bargains.

5. Kickin

Kickin Flea

I definitely agree with this part...but I think in a different sense than you're talking about. For me its not about having the higher priced items but just about having little bits of lots of different items. I'd say that's the the only reason I go to a buffet. Its the way we always ate growing up, just culturally that's how our food is served. Not the entree + side dishes type of meal. So in a regular restaurant its not really practical to order a ton of different dishes in small quantities...they're just not served that way unless its something like tapas or Asian. But at a buffet I can do that.

I don't usually care for the popular items like king crab legs, carving station, or desserts that much. But higher priced buffets usually have better quality foods across the spectrum, even for the more standard items. So I still prefer going to them.

I do always overeat at buffets. But that's probably just cuz I'm a pig.

6. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree wholeheartedly! I wish there was some way people would try to stop wasting food. One way is to encourage everyone to take small portions and go back if they find it to their liking.

I guess one of my pet peeves is seeing food being wasted.

7. Starz22

Starz22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure if Vegas should to this...In my state...at buffet's we have a sign on the table saying "you will be charged for wasting food. Full plates being thrown away will cost you". They have the right to charge you for excess waste.
    Say you let your kid run wild and heap mounds of food on their plate only to toss it aside and run back to fill more plates they dont eat. Yes it is a buffet...but to waste so much food is why the prices keep going up.
    I don't take my kids to Vegas..but in my home state,at a buffet...I tell my kids to take a small amount of anything they want to try...if they like it they can always go back for more. Greed is an excess we have here. I paid 40 bucks for this buffet and should be able to do anything I want.

Also in my state...I see many kids under the age that the buffet asks for...If your child is under 10 years old..please help them get their plate. I see kids 5 years old scooping stuff on their plate...deciding they don't want it....using their fingers to put it back...licking their fingers and going for more food.
    It's gross!

I love buffets...I take very little of something I want to try for the 1st time...If I like it...then I will go back for more. I can see why buffets get pissed... And we wonder why the prices go up?

8. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:

I tend to eat more than I usually do at Buffets also. It's hard not to. But I don't want to continue to eat just because I feel I have to, due to the price.

9. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we have a hibachi and sushi place near where I live that has an interesting angle to this.

There is a one off dining fee which include hibatchi (if you want ) and freshly made sushi - IE put your order in for whatever you like and they will go make it. And its good.

They ran into the problem of people ordering too much and not eating it so the came up with a new policy.

Its still a one off fee but if you order and leave any then you pay the full a la carte cost of the item you left as well. so if you order and leave California roll - then you pay the price of that as well.

seems to be working.

I doubt if you would be able to implement that in a Vegas buffet but it is an interesting idea (and I hate people putting too much on their plates and not eating it! Its just moronic!)

10. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

agreed, mostly. however, i tend to take small portions of maybe 4 or 5 items, and then go back maybe an extra time over the average person, so i reserve some rights to leave a part of a serving of:

things that i experimentally taste that turn out not so good, thinking of some things at bellagio i cannot even remember, and often desserts that just do not taste like they look.

things that turn out not to be what they are advertised as, bellagio again, the "kobe" sirloin was more like lucchese half sole.

things that just turn out to be tough, thinking some korean short ribs, and another time english muffins from a serving of eggs benedict, at the palms.

last trip, found ourselves at the wicked spoon for the weekend brunch...none of that was left on the plate when we went back for more! the same also goes for a recent trip to the main street station buffet, very different end of the price spectrum from wicked spoon, but for the value/price relationship, about the same!

11. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel a breakfast buffet has the best value for me. They cost less
    and with me being a picky eater they have more foods I can eat.

12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not following the OP. I think people try to "eat their money's worth" no matter what the buffet cost. I also think one could question if the value and quality of the food are really reflected in the cost people pay. Not suggesting this justifies gluttony, just maybe a topic for another day.

For me, I have a hard time eating in a reasonable fashion when it's a new buffet for me. I end up wanting to try everything and it's worse in Vegas because I assume I am never going to have a chance to try the buffet again. At home, I am more satisfied with just getting my favorites and not gorging myself.

13. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still waiting for my 'tableside microwaves' idea to take off on the mid- to low-priced buffets....

14. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the exciting discoveries on my first trip to LV was the number and variety of buffets. I was a picky eater as a child and with a buffet, there will certainly be many things that will appeal. I am not nearly as picky now but really stick to the basics. Even though I grew up on the east coast a few miles from the coast I do not like clams, oysters or lobster (more for you!), nor do I like fancy foods with french names I cannot pronounce.

Now that the novelty has gone, I mostly go to a buffet where I can enjoy a nice salad with quality stuff......lettuce other than iceberg, the regular stuff, perhaps brochli salad and extra virgin olive oil and vinegar. At sit down dinners salads are usually not only small but pretty mundane. After a couple of good salads, I like to make several trips with small amounts of standard but quality entrees.

I agree that children should adhere to posted limits, but it is the parents who should insist on this and supervise, instead as I've seen thinking it is funny when little Johnny loads up on portions and making a mess on the tables.

People hoarding food and taking only a bite seems to be a problem regrardless of the cost or quality of the buffet, and I cannot for the life of me understand why an adult in this day and age doesn't know enough to take a clean plate to go back to the buffet. There they tap the mash potato or veggie spoon on their dirty plate and then put it back in the buffet pan.

Dirty plates going back and wasted food are my two pet peeves.

Jimbo338

15. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish it would too. I'm fed up of you just pulling your chair up to the buffet station...

16. JDinTN

JDinTN MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually regret going to a buffet after we eat at one. Not that the food is bad -- we stick to the better buffets -- but I always eat too much. It doesn't have anything to do with getting my money's worth. I just like to eat a lot of different things and keep going back for more. I hardly waste anything -- usually clean my plate. I don't think the wasted food is a big deal. I doubt it amounts to much if you added it all up. It would only make a difference if they made less food if people didn't waste anything but I doubt its enough of a difference for them to do that. Who cares it all gets converted into pig feed anyway whether its left over on the tray or left over on the plate.

17. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With higher end buffets I compare to similar higher end normal restaurants.

Example:

I'm not paying a ton to eat Ruth's Chris when I can just go to a Churrascaria for about the same price (or LESS!).

I've been to 6 so far, Pampas Grill (Vegas), Fogo De Chao (DC), Greenfields (Rockville, MD), Texas De Brazil (Fairfax (Fair Oaks), VA), Chima (Vienna (Tyson's Corner), VA) and Malibu Grill (Falls Church, VA).

All were FANTASTIC except Malibu Grill which was low-end.

All of these (except Malibu) give you unlimited filet mignon and other great cuts as well as some seafood. Chima included swordfish. At Pampas I got lobster tail (not unlimited).

At high end buffets I look for great cuts of beef and/or seafood. Porterhouse, filet mignon, swordfish, crab legs, crabcake, lobster tail, prime rib, lamb, etc.

Otherwise, it's not worth it at all.

I look at the cost of Japanese steakhouses and then look at the Hibachi's around here.

I do not get much more than I can eat. I hate when see people overload their plate and leave half of it. Why not get a little of each things you want or somesuch?

18. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really hate wasting the food and seeing others doing it as well at the buffets.

The new buffet at Bellagio started in the right direction of serving a really good variety of food and also doing so in small portions.

If they could only keep the dishes hot it would be perfect.
    Also, the already spliced crab legs was a great idea, but using old warm fish water instead of hot water would have been significantly better.

19. Electroguy563

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This past Sunday my family went to celebrate my grandaughter's 13th birthday. We ate at the Oceanarium Buffet at the Pacific Beach Hotel in Waikiki.

Cost was 40 something per person but they charged my grandson 19 dollars since he's under 10 yrs. old. There were 13 of us. Bill with tip was $680.00 (Yikes!!::eek:)

The variety was outstanding. Large snow crab legs, dungeness leg clusters ( all in hot warmers and vats of butter...yes!!) Lots of salad choices, sashimi, sushi, hot clams (kinda small but fresh and good!), mussels, no oysters (dammit!), fresh catch hot fish dishes, etc., etc.

And Prime Rib! It was excellent. There was also chicken dishes, pasta, pork, and dim sum. Good selection of hot vegetables.

Desserts ranged from pies, ice milk (like Dairy Queen) with toppings, chocolate fountain with bananas, cherries, apples. There was cheesecake also.

We enjoyed ourselves...tasting a variety of dishes, and going back for those we liked. Nobody wasted food. Everyone was full, content, happy. Nobody gorged themselves to the point of being uncomfortable.

It's something we can't do often, but the value of this buffet experience was not in seeing if everyone can eat their money's worth, but in enjoying each other, making lasting memories, and tasting wonderful foods we can't otherwise do if we went to a resturant.:thumbsup:

20. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In DC we have Phillips Seafood which has a buffet and it is fantastic.

$30-$35 (has lobster tail)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.