1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Prime, Cut, or Gordon Ramsey Steak?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Jennylove59, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennylove59

Jennylove59 Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you had to choose 2 which would they be and why? Price wise my husband doesn't drink and I will probably only have 1 glass of wine. Looking to keep it around $150, a little more is definitely fine though.

2. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you mean you want to keep the total check to about $150, or $150 per person?

3. KBT2012

KBT2012 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only eaten at Prime and it was good. By myself it was $120 for a steak, salad, and a side. Drank a regular coke no alcohol.

I much prefer Jean Georges at Aria but if I had to choose I would either go try CUT or Gordon Ramsey's new joint.

4. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was looking around at Steakhouses for my trip in January I selected Cut and Ramsay based on the reviews and the selection shown on the menu. I've never dined at Prime, but I can say that both Cut and Ramsay were well worth it.

5. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sounds about right. When we have dinner at Prime, our bill runs $250-275 plus gratuity for the two of us (this includes a glass or two of wine with dinner).

I haven't eaten at Gordon Ramsay Steak, but after looking at their menu prices, I think it would be very difficult to get out for less than $250. Even their "Limited Edition Hell's Kitchen Tasting Menu" is priced at $145 per person.

Gordon Ramsay Dinner menu:
    http://www.parislasvegas.com/content/dam/plv/Dining/Upscale/gordon%20ramsay/Paris-Las%20Vegas-Dining-Upscale-gordon-ramsay-dinner-menu-1.pdf

Gordon Ramsay Tasting Menu:
    http://www.parislasvegas.com/content/dam/plv/Dining/Upscale/gordon%20ramsay/Gordon%20Ramsay/GordanRamsay_Limited_Edition_HK_Tasting_Menu.pdf

6. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've eaten at Ramsay Steak twice. It's a bit overpriced (even for Vegas standards) but it's excellent. Not out of this world, best I've ever had good, but it's up there. First time I had the bone-in strip, second time I tried his signature Beef Wellington....both outstanding. The rib cap is also terrific; someone in my group has ordered this both times I've been there. I strongly recommend the mac and cheese as well. I've never been to Prime or Cut.

7. Jennylove59

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, $150 total for the bill. We just don't want to go much above $200 if possible. However, we want to make sure that we are getting the best food and experience possible.

8. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you again, Caesers Great Race!

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  9. Oskee2001

Oskee2001 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard nothing but great things about Gordon Ramsay...heard the resos go fast, so make yours soon if you're thinking about going. I made mine like two months ago for May!

10. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A friend and I dined at Cut last weekend, and we came in right at 150, only because we split a steak and had no drinks with our meal. We each had an appetizer, one steak and one side. It was good, but not mind blowing. This far, craftsteak has been my favorite but again, it was double your budget.

11. Jennylove59

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, so if budget wasn't a question which would you choose? We want the best food possible! We have never been to Vegas and want to make sure we do it right!

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no such thing as "Best Food Possible".

There are of course, great and wonderful dinners. Sometimes these are at nice places, sometimes at very expensive. But, very expensive does NOT guarantee best.

Be careful in Vegas. Often the pricing is meant to imply greatness.

13. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cut and Gordon Ramsay set me back around that $250 mark you mentioned. That was for two steaks, two apps, two sides, and 2-3 beers each. We didn't have dessert at Cut but I did at Ramsay, I had to try the sticky toffee pudding and it was well worth it.

14. allmine1958

allmine1958 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We ate at both Prime and Gordon Ramsey's in February. We both enjoyed Ramsey's much more than Prime. The steaks at prime were not at par for the price. Hubby had the Bone on Filet and was very grizzly. At Ramsey, I had the Beef Wellinngton, and it was delish. He has Steak and was very tender.

But Prime extremely quiet and romantic, Ramsey was very light and uptempo.

15. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed the food & the service @ Cut. I've been there maybe 4-5 times now.

Sadly, looks like they got rid of their tasting menu, which was a great bargain. I'll probably still end up going, since I'll be staying at the hotel a few nights and I'm lazy.

I can't really say if it was AMAZING food, but the quality of the service (and maybe the cost) certainly had me thinking it was fantastic. Hard to separate how much of that was just in my head.

16. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my opinion

CUT, only go if you plan on having Waygu (not the American waygu) Otherwise their steaks are about the same as everywhere else.

Prime is a stuff older style steak house compared to CUT. Might be hard to do 150 out the door.

Ramsay is a good choice. For the price I think Craft Steak maybe a good choice.

fk

17. TylerH50

TylerH50 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eaten at Prime and GRS. My vote would be GRS. The Wellington is great, My wife's filet was great, the drinks were great, the Mac & Cheese was great. It was a true dining experience. I'll be back in Vegas Labor Day week. GRS will be on the agenda at minimum 1 night there. Prime has good steaks, but doesn't provide the overall dining experience like GRS does. Expect a bill for 2 w/ Apps, Drinks Entree of around $300.

18. hondo230

hondo230 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't have it here.

Not to be a buzzkill, Japanese beef is illegal in the US. It is a restaurant lie to get people to spend more $$. I wish this fakery would die, so people wouldn't get ripped off anymore.

Just like now, they are renaming pork chops with fancy names to charge more, yet nothing about the flavor has changed

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/04/12/foods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  19. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's true that beef is frequently mislabeled. However, Japanese beef is NOT illegal in the United States. It was temporarily banned, due to an outbreak of hoof and mouth disease, but that ban was lifted last year. Several restaurants in Las Vegas offer true Japanese wagyu.

Even true Kobe beef is technically available in the United States. True Japanese Kobe had never imported into the United States -- until late November of 2012 year. See the Kobe Marketing Association's web page at http://www.kobe-niku.jp/contents/export/index.php , or their FAQs at http://www.kobe-niku.jp/english/contents/faq/index.html . There was a grand total of about 380 pounds of Kobe Beef imported by Fremont Beef. In 2013, a bit more has been imported by the same company. However, this is such a tiny amount that I doubt any has made its way to Las Vegas. Yes, a number of restaurants use the term Kobe, but beware!

20. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prime has been the best dining experience of my life, far and away.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.