1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

South Point or Golden Nugget?

Discussion in 'Off-Strip Hotels' started by gregsmith, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes finally down to two.... One south of strip and one downtown. I know SP has resort fees and GN doesn't? Prices similar (not the Rush Tower by the way) for standard rooms at either place. Parking difference? Restaurants? Cleanliness of room? We will have a car.

2. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are so far apart in choices I don't know what to say. Can you tell us what were the positives at each and maybe we can help.

A vacation Downtown or a vacation at SouthPoint are like going to the circus or the ballet.

3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've stayed at both and like both, but I'd pick the GN mainly for its location. You're pretty much marooned at SP, while there are many choices downtown. (I drink quite a bit in Vegas, so having a car would be a bad idea.) If you're going to be in town for several days, why not divide your stay among both properties? I can't remember the last time I stayed in a single place.

4. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I will give a rundown..... I originally was going to stay on strip but the places in my measly $50 budget per night don't seem to be as nice (cc, Excal, strat) so I figured if we have a car plus are only wanting a place to sleep and get a shower that's clean, plus has decent places to eat or snack there.

I found great reviews on SP and GN it seems the Nugget has a better location for where we want to go but not sure how the standard rooms compare? Everything I saw was praising the rush tower rooms which are a good bit higher. Parking also I want to be easy and a free lot available don't need valet.

We will be all over LV so location not a big deal. We don't drink and maybe gamble little on slots. Like good buffets....but are used to places like golden corral (lol!)

Want to go to the medieval show at Excalibur too.

Hope this helps. Also any experience best to book of Orbitz vs Travelocity vs Priceline?

5. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say that the standard room at SP is nicer than the standard room at GN, though both are quite decent and should certainly provide "a place to sleep and get a shower that's clean, plus has decent places to eat or snack." SP would also be a bit more convenient if going to Excalibur. I don't think you could go wrong at either place.

6. gregsmith

gregsmith Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay thanks Turtleman....need to pick soon only 38 days left

7. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GN for the location. Unless ya have wheels then its a toss up.

8. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't stayed at the Golden Nugget since Fremont was open to traffic but knowing the property, I'm pretty sure your room will be fine.

Southpoint is more laid back. They have good restaurants, reasonably priced. If after a day of touring you just want to relax, Southpoint is the place. You are pretty much marooned there though so depending how you want to spend your evenings, it might be the right choice.

If you stay downtown, you'll have decisions and choices to make for dining and you'll have the choice of many buffets. Entertainment goes late into the night so if you're the type that wants to stay up late it might provide more options to you. If you're the type that wants to stay on schedule and go to bed before 1 am, The Nugget may be too noisy for you. The music shuts down late so it may affect your sleep.

Southpoint does have a resort fee now (around $14), not sure about the Golden Nuggett.

Downtown is lively and fun if that's what you want or it can be calm if you want to slow down. South Point can only be calm. If it was me, I'd stay downtown just for all the food and entertainment options.

Have a great trip!

9. azbob

azbob MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    South Point does have a shuttle that will drop you off at the mall across from the Wynn. We have stayed there many times and have enjoyed the wide selection of great restaurants, the fact that they have a moviehouse and the slots are loose with a generous slot club. If you play even a reasonable amount, you can count on having quite a bit comped off your bill at check out. They even comped a haircut I once got there.

Not a fan of the downtown area so I would definitely go with SP. You can also go up to the M which is a nice property although has declined in value and payouts since opening.

If you want to open up your choices you might check out the Palms as they have some special deals to attract new business since they just redid many of their food outlets. That also lets you walk to the Gold Coast and Rio with the ability to take a shuttle from either directly to the strip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.