1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker and Drinks at Binions

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by LisaLasVegasII, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LisaLasVegasII

LisaLasVegasII Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you now have to pay for drinks at Binions when playing video poker at the bar?

My mom just got back yesterday and said she was shocked that she had to pay for her drinks! I asked her if she questioned the bartender and she did not. I was just wondering if he got a great tip or they are now charging. I am aware you get charged if you are not gambling but she was.

Thanks!

Lisa

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think thats your answer there.

She was probably getting her drinks comped and just didn't understand how they did it (not every place handles comp drinks the same) so she probably just wound up giving the guy a great big tip in the end :)

3. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the bars that I have played at will ring up a "receipt" for the comped drink, and put it in a glass, an set it on the inside ledge in front of me. If I kept playing, and ordered another free drink, they would ring up another receipt, and add that to the glass, etc. etc. I would also drop a buck, or so, into the glass for each round. When I'm done playing, I might add another buck or two to the glass, and leave.

But above all, the player does not pay for those receipts ... lesson learned.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recall thinking I had to pay for the Drink the first time I experienced the receipt thing, i was pissed but said nothing and put enough in the glass to cover the drink and left. Felt like a dope when i found out what was going on.

5. True Fiction

True Fiction Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, so for us video poker at the bar noobs, is the best thing to do - put some money in one of the machines, start playing and order you drinks, and then they are free. If you get a receipt, you still do not pay, just leave a tip.

Is this the same everywhere

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Vegas yes, but not at the Wynn. They don't comp a drink at the bar for VP. It is the only place I have ever run into that.

7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, if they put a receipt in a glass it's comped, if you are supposed to pay, they will ask for the money right then, otherwise you could walk off when they turn away. What usually happens is you sit down and they ask what you want, they will make your drink and wait to see if you are going to play, and then go from there,. They can tell very easily if you put credits on the machine or not.(they have good upside down vision)

8. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. The best thing to do is just ask the bartender.

First, you want to make sure you are playing the minimum required to get free drinks. At some places playing 1 credit per hand is enough to get free drinks, while at others they won't comp them unless you are playing max bet.

And then, its just better to make sure. This is the old "better safe than sorry" as you don't want to be sitting there for an hour or so knocking back a bunch of drinks only to find out that they weren't being comped. At some of these places the drinks can really get up there where just a bottle of beer could be costing you $7-8 each.

9. big1ed

big1ed Tourist

best way to find out

I agree totally with auggie, just ask, but ask BEFORE you get the drink. In NY state ( Yonkers raceway ), they charge EVERYONE for drinks. I guess Vegas is getting the same way as others .

10. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is what i think happens especially downtown.

Bums will come in, put their last buck in the machine and expect a free drink. Either this or someone will just want a free drink, toss a $20 in the machine and order a free drink, cash out and leave.

i feel like they actually want to see some intent from the players like they are really going to play the machine and not just soak them for free booze.

i would do the same thing if I were them.

Let them pay for the first one and see if they are seriously playing or just milking it out for booze. Why should they give you a free drink because you push a button once every 5 minutes?

A few years ago i was playing vp at binins. This same thing happened. I was really just there to bs and could not have cared les how much the drinks cost and was happy to pay for them. The bartended kept standing right in front of me saying I had to keep playing if I wanted free drinks. I told him to f himself and left.

I am 100% positive it was his bosses idea. What bartender would think this up on his own?

Last trip this policy seems to have loosened up back to normal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.