1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Table Games Where shall I play Blackjack?

Discussion in 'Table Games' started by original poster, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. original poster

original poster Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I am planning on playing blackjack for the first time in Vegas in a couple of weeks.

Where should I play? I am staying at the Cosmo and looking to play $10/$15 and $25 dollar minimum bets.

Where would you guys recommend that is close?

Looking for good odds obviously.

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Gold Coast still has a decent BJ game.

3. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mirage has (had?) a very good 6-deck shoe game @ $10/$15 min. (DAS, S17, Late-Surrender).
    They also used to have a $25, 2-deck game, with DAS & S17.

Good luck!

4. original poster

original poster Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, I heard the tables at PH aren't great, is this right?

What about the tables at Cosmo and Bellagio?

5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The blackjack at PH – and all CET properties (for the most part) – is pretty poor. And Cosmo isn’t any better. In fact, it is probably worse. Bellagio has some of excellent BJ, but the minimums are often – though not always – >$25 for the best rules.

In general, the MGM properties are the places to play BJ on the strip. Most of the MGM properties offer decent rules at lower limits and very good rules at the higher limits.

At $15-25, I think MGM Grand will probably give you the best opportunity to find the best – or at least very good – rules. During slow periods, you might also find such games at Mirage, Aria and Bellagio (though probably only at $25).

I’m also a fan of the Wynn properties. While the rules will not be nearly as good as those at some of the MGM places, they are still decent (much better than CET rules). Plus, the atmosphere, dealers, pit bosses and drink service (IMO) are second to none.

6. original poster

original poster Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many thanks. Will give a few a try on the first day and find a base based on the recommendations here!

One other question, when playing at a $25 dollar table, I assume it will be possible to have $5 chips as well? As my stratagy is to start on $25 and for each win add $15.

Will this be possible?

7. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A table minimum is just like it sounds - the minimum bet...you are always free to go higher, in increments of $1 (50-cents at some tables), all the way up to the table maximum (varies).

8. original poster

original poster Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That clears it up, thanks. I wasn't sure if they would have $5 chips at a $25 table for example.

I guess when I buy chips at the table I tell them how I want the chips?

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are at a table with minimums that are less than $25, the dealer will usually assume that you want some (or all) $5 chips and will probably ask you “how you want it” when you buy in. If you are at a $25 min table, you will probably need to specify that you want some $5 chips as well (“$400 in green and $100 in red, please”).

10. original poster

original poster Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent thanks!

Would I be right in thinking these rules would be realistic?

I've been practising with the following rules -

6 card deck
    Dealer holds on 17
    No surrender

Would I be able to find a table that has these rules?

11. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually play $5 or $10 tables downtown... and I often buy in with a "half & half" request to the dealer.
    That gets me half in green and half in red.

12. topcard

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easily... all blackjack tables stand on hard 17. A few stand on soft 17 (which is to the player's advantage).
    6-deck shoes are everywhere.
    Actually, the ability to surrender is a good thing, so if you can, play a table that permits it.

If you're willing to play $25+ a hand, you will be able to find better tables.
    Just beware of tables that only pay 6 to 5 on blackjacks. Only play "3:2" tables.

As for hitting soft 17? It will be on the felt of the table...it will either say "Dealer Stands on all 17s" or it will say "Dealer must hit Soft 17".

You want one that says they must stand on all 17s...if you don't spot one right away, just ask one of the dealers or pit-critters if they have one.

13. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure that game exists...generally speaking it's hard to find dealer holds on soft 17...you have to look around. And if you find that game, it's very good, and it usually also has surrender. Of course you could simply never surrender, so that rule doesn't hurt you.

6 deck vs 8 deck...doesn't change your strategy much if at all. So I wouldn't worry about that one.

You can find dealer stands on soft 17 at several of the MGM properties, usually for $25 minimum.

14. original poster

original poster Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like playing $25 a hand gives me an advantage to better rules at least!

Thanks for your help all.

15. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First, BJ minimums can change very quickly. It is all about supply and demand. So, if finding the absolute best set of rules is your number one priority, then you should play when it is slow – usually weekday mornings until about noon-ish. At 10 pm on a busy Saturday night, the $10-15 tables will be packed and the rules will be less than stellar nine times out of 10. Even playing at a $25 table isn’t enough to ensure that you have the best rules during busy times.

Having said that, I think that at $25 you should look for the following set of rules:

6 Deck Shoe
    Dealer Stands on Soft 17
    No Doubling Restrictions
    Re-Splitting Aces Allowed
    Late Surrender

If you can’t find those rules, then the next best would probably be a Double Deck game where the dealer hits on soft 17 and there are no doubling restrictions (you won’t find late surrender or re-split aces on a double deck game usually). If you can’t find either of those, you will still be able to find a six deck game with all the same rules as above EXCEPT the dealer will hit a soft 17.

For $10-15, you will only find games where the dealer stands on soft 17 during very slow times. I’m not saying it isn’t worth looking for them. Just don’t count on finding them.

If you do play when it is very slow and you are willing to play $25/hand, you might look around to see if you can find a double deck game where the dealer stands on soft 17. Usually these games start at $50-100/hand. But during very slow times you might be able to find them at $25 if you’re lucky. (Bellagio and Aria have the most tables with these rules.)

16. original poster

original poster Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent, thanks!

17. Llew

Llew Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can find this, but with surrender (also RSA, DAS), for $25 min at Bellagio, Mirage, MGM Grand, and sometimes Aria. Though it will go up to $50 or more on really busy days. I don't think you'll find S17 with no surrender anywhere.

18. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may be able to find S17 on some $25 tables, but most lower limit games are all H17. Avoid any 6/5 games like the plague!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.