1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Maker's Mark NOT getting diluted

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasKing, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasKing

VegasKing High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The title says it all. Apparently, the owners of Maker's Mark have decided to increase profits by diluting Maker's Mark by 7%. They are going from 90 proof to 84 proof. This is no joke. I drink Makers every now and then. But after this display, I will find another drink to take its place. For those of you who order Makers while at the tables, thought you should know.

Here is a link to the article on Forbes:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/02/14/whiskey-or-water-marketing-nightmare-as-bourbon-fans-incensed-over-choice/

2. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, time to find another brand. If I wanted more water I'd order it myself!

3. Natural21

Natural21 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maker's Mark is my regular drink at home. I don't think lowering the alcohol content will affect the flavor at all. Still a great bourbon. Worse yet is when I see people mix Maker's or other good whiskey with soda! That's criminal!
    I believe Maker's 46 will remain 94 proof.
    Good luck. :beer::beer:

4. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ms. Gecko and I are Maker's Mark Ambassadors (for whatever that's worth) and plan on protesting (I'll likely resign)! If they can't produce enough to keep up with demand, then let the price rise like everything else on the planet. Downgrading the whisky they've so painstakingly promoted as a quality product is just plain wrong, and whether or not someone can taste the difference is immaterial. They've made no secret about their plans, so it's hard to call it deceptive; but clearly, many who order it will do so because of its (formally) good reputation and won't know it's been diluted. There are many other brands from which to choose. :mad:

5. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could understand changing the recipe for new batches going forward, but just watering down the current batches? that's crazy.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace, it was pretty decent, but not as smooth as Maker's. Funny how the COO of Maker's commented he is only reducing the ABV by 3%, he needs a math lesson. Unfortunately, this will probably blow over as folks revert to old habits.

7. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One word; Corporations.

8. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I concur with Natural21... just drink makers 46 :) hehehe

9. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two words. Woodford Reserve.

I actually talked to the manager of our liquor store about this on Thursday. She said they haven't been able to keep Maker's in stock lately. We were debating chicken and egg scenarios...is it out of stock so they're diluting to make more, or are they out of stock because people are hoarding the good stuff?

10. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going from 90 proof to 84 proof is reducing it by 3% ABV. Not sure what math you grew up learning, but in the liquor world, 100 proof is only 50% alcohol.

11. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The question about alcohol by volume probably comes into the conversion from alcohol by weight to alcohol by volume.

45% ABW = about 57.01% ABV
    40% ABW = about 50.68% ABV

So that's about a 3% change in ABV.

Of course proof is related to ABV, not ABW, so this makes no sense whatsoever.

12. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope they fail at this and suffer the loss of some marketshare. If sales increase or remain the same other manufactures will follow to lower costs and we will all be drinking more water and less bourbon.

13. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never, ever seen anything measured using alcohol by weight. It is simply not an accurate benchmark since the non alcohol part of liquors can vary depending on the additives.

14. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My liquor store seems to have a new high end bourbon almost every month. We'll be okay.

15. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm an Ambassador also. I have a my name on a barrel along with my brother and dad. We took a tour of the distillery in '09 and became fans.

I am quite disappointed in the change. Only because it's change. However, the change really doesn't affect much. Now I can drink more without getting more drunk. Budweiser did this years ago. What was Bud in the '80s is now Bud Light. (This from a guy who worked for Bud during the change.)

16. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    3.2 beer is by weight in most places that require 3.2 beer...which aren't many anymore.

17. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The math is sound, even in the liquor world.

A 3% reduction from 90 proof would be a reduction to 87.3. They are downgrading from 90 to 84, which is 6.67%.

Or to use your terms, the reduction in alcohol from 45% to 42% is a reduction of 6.67%.

18. dostoy

dostoy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    alcohol % per volume x 2 = proof

90 proof is 45% abv
    84 proof is 42% abv

thus a 3% reduction...

19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    according to my buddy who is an ambassador, the decision has been reversed, 90 proof it will be.

20. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The reduction as a percentage of the total amount of alcohol is 6% but the percent change as compared to the whole, is 3%. Which is what was posted earlier in the thread. There is a change of 3% in ABV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.