1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mixing Vegas and a Work Conference

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by aggie182, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aggie182

aggie182 Off Key and Out of Tune

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am attending a conference in June at the MGM. I have been to Vegas many times but not in about 4 years or so. I am hoping to stay a few days after the conference to have some fun but the temptation will likely get me during the conference too. The conference is very educational and is typical 8a-5p. Any suggestions on managing Vegas and work both at once?

My typical Vegas trips have the motto - if I come home broke and hungover and had a good time, that's a win. I am pretty good at managing my bankroll while I am there as to not go broke early in the trip. Luckily I have never come home broke, but hungover - that's another story.

I'd like to hear any tips or suggestions on mixing work and play in the city we love. :drunk:

2. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clint Eastwood said it best in The Gauntlet:"A man's gotta know his limitations".

Follow the same routine when attending conferences in other cities, after its over, let your freak flag fly.

3. mikeinctown

mikeinctown High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most conferences are scheduled until 5, but I've never been in one that actually went until 5. That still gives you 5-6 hours a night to play. if it is for work I assume that you will be able to grab pretty much any buffet you like for dinner.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to figure that a day is ruined with any amount of going to work so you might as well take advantage of that time and use it to work off your hangover.

You will be miserable anyway so why let that ruin the fun?

You might need some measure of sleep but ni sense in over doing it.

This will be a time to dig deep.

5. atom

atom High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe take some cues from Squidward's CES trip report? ;)

6. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually I think it was Magnum Force when he said this. I've been to HP Discover in Vegas twice myself, and was able to manage both. The conference is very informative so that held my attention during the day, then craps and nice dinners after.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are correct!

I swear Clint said this in Outlaw Josey Wales as well, but I can't track it down.

8. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last time I was in Vegas for a work conference I skipped the box lunch provided during the conference and hit the craps tables. I ran into some people from my conference on the elevator on my way back to the conference center as the lunch hour was ending. We chatted and I showed them the $400 in chips I won during lunch. They wanted to learn craps, so we all met up that evening and played dice half the night. That's how I do work related Vegas conferences. Party on!

9. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're representing your company while you are there. People you meet during the sessions may see you at lunch & after hours (or even after the event). So you may want to keep that in mind before you let that freak flag fly :)

One obvious thing is to make sure you're not wearing anything that identifies your employer if you plan on getting crazy (like a shirt with a logo on it).

The only thing that makes a day with a hangover + not enough sleep more painful is having to sit through a full day of boring presentations. You will regret every single action from the night before.

Sounds like you're really interested in the presentations, so I'd suggest keeping the gaming/drinking to maybe an hour or two max each night, or maybe skipping it entirely on one or two days. I know that will be damn near impossible. Additionally, you can get extra sleep during the week to make up for your post-conference gambling :)

When gambling for short periods of time, I think the guidance I've seen elsewhere here is to not use any player's club card you might have. It would bring down your avg/day.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your conference.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spot on! Others do notice those who wander in around 10 and duck out sometime after lunch and as we all know, "people love to talk." And for God's sake, don't sit in the back of the room with your sunglasses on!

11. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or one could say hanging out at the craps table with people you meet at the conference as a unique networking opportunity.

12. texdan17

texdan17 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People at work know I love Vegas and gambling. I got myself setup to present at a conference in Vegas in December. I told my boss I want to stay a couple of extra days on my own comp. He's covering the flight and my stay at MGM Sig for the three conference days. I will probably attend a session or two like I would at any conference but I'll generally be drinking and gambling. :beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.