1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Adjustable computer monitor stand???

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by GeorgeandTheBear, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I surf the web way too much from my "slob" position (nearly prone, but in an office type chair). I like the monitor on the desktop, not elevated. My much classier wife sits upright like a normal human being. She has had cervical fusion and needs it elevated to aleviate her neck pain somewhat. Is there a quick-adjust monitor stand available. I've looked some, but really don't know what to call it and don't seem to get very good search results. I would like something that would adjust up and down with the push of a button, similar to an office chair, not something I would have to loosen and tighten. Anyone know of anything? We can't be the only ones out there that need something like this.

My monitor is a generic looking flat monitor, like the flat-screen TVs, HP brand.

2. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *Edit* I should have read a bit more clearly, finding something that automatically moves via push-button might be difficult, but many will easily move by physically moving them, not usually requiring a "lock down" screw or handle. You may need to touch and feel to see if it'll fit your needs.

My original post:

There certainly are. Many HP monitors, coincidentally, have very nice height adjustment capabilities. It would appear that yours may not, but it's certainly an option to look at a new monitor in your quest.

Otherwise, a key keyword to search for is "VESA", which is the standard 4 screw mount pattern on most LCD monitors (any many flat screen TV's.)

A quick search at Staples for "VESA monitor stand" came up with this: http://www.staples.com/Neo-Flex-Up-To-6-16-lbs-24-inch-LCD-Monitor-Single/product_IM1L22013

Maybe adding "ergonomic" to it might help. The down side of this search, however, is I don't think they carry much for this kind of thing actually in the stores, so it might be difficult to touch and feel to see if it'd really fit your needs.

3. gguerra

gguerra High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out Monoprice.com Hands down the best price and good quality!

This is the section on LCD Desk Mounts
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828#1082808

They have many other products and have never let me down.

Make note of the mounting pattern on the back of the monitor. It will be in mm. Either 100mm x 100mm or something similar. You can use a ruler to measure. Make sure the mount supports that size.

4. matguy

matguy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any of those that do seem to have height adjustment all seem to have a set-screw type lock, meaning it's a process of loosen, adjust, tighten, which was counted out as an option in the original post. The locking screw on those all look to be fairly far back behind the monitor, too, which probably are hard to reach for the constant adjustment that it sounds like their situation would require.

Based on the request, it would appear that they'd need a mount that allows spontaneous vertical movement without locking mechanisms. Something that's self supporting, a move and it stays where you put it on its own type of thing.

This is not to knock Monoprice as a vendor, though, they are great for commodity cables and generic gear. It just appears that they don't seem to have what's needed for this.

5. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the brand that I bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Ergotech-One-Touch-Counterbalance-Monitor-320-C14-C012/dp/B008O2HUWM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1354905357&sr=8-8&keywords=ergotech+monitor+arm

It is not the cheapest out there though. To adjust the height you simply move the monitor to where you want it. No screws to deal with on a daily basis.

One minor complaint(this goes for most monitor arms I've seen). Depending on where you are able to mount the base and where you want the monitor, the arm itself may stick out the back of your desk. I'm guessing anyone can get around this issue. I only mention it because you will not be able to put the monitor directly above the base and then have your desk flush against the wall. The arm has to go somewhere.

FYI - The 2 I purchased have been great for 4+ years now. I would highly recommend that brand. I'm using it on 22in displays. 24 would be fine. 27s seem to be hit and miss as you are pushing the limits of most of these arms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.