1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Help From My Cruise Veterans

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Nevada Kid, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello to all. I am trying to decise between a short trip on either Holland America or the Princess Line. Help... which should I choose?

2. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why one of those two lines? Passengers on Princess are an average age of 60, on Holland America they're 80.

For someone young like yourself, I'd choose Carnival, NCL, or Royal Caribbean.

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm 39. My favorite lines are HAL and Princess.

I don't have kids and don't want to spend my vacation around someone else's. I don't care about a disco (though I enjoy the HAL piano bars) I want to travel on a line that treats me like an adult and allows me to bring my own wine on board.

I also appreciate smaller ships (on Princess, we sail on Pacific Princess, 680 pax) The 2000 pax Westerdam was slightly too large for us, though we did enjoy the Panama Canal itinerary.

We also appreciate the interesting & longer itineraries HAL and Princess offer. I love to get dressed up on formal night, and so does my husband. I prefer a set dinner time at the same table with the same servers for the entire cruise.

What cruiseline you pick depends on a heck of a lot more than your age:rolleyes2: As with Vegas recommendations (or, hell, any recommendations at all) we need more information to offer educated responses.....

(and if my budget allowed, I'd be on Oceania, Regent & Silversea:evillaugh)

4. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Carnival lets you bring your own wine and has set dinner times and elegant night to dress up.

5. earth-3

earth-3 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Between the two, I would definately pick Princess. Their ships seems to have better daily maintenence and they also get upgraded quite often.

6. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where do you live? HAL and Princess have very few cruises that short length of time and they either depart from Canada or California.

7. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going to do a repostion from San Diego or LA to Vancouver and then head on to Seattle for a couple days.

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One bottle (per their passenger contract) doesn't do it for me.

Carnival isn't my line, based on lots of various criteria, but of course that doesn't mean it's not the perfect line for other people. But "age" isn't what helps me offer advice to others on vacation or other decisions.

For a short cruise like that, quite honestly - it probably won't matter very much what line you choose. Make sure the price is reasonable (what you are willing to pay) and the size of the cabin is to your liking, that food & entertainment options you are interested in are available (for free or, again, at a price you are willing to pay).

9. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just did that cruise a couple of months ago. I think either cruise line would be fine. As a veteran of many cruises, I've never had a bad one.

10. luvvp

luvvp Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never done a reposition but some have complained about food and service.

Check cruise critic.com lots of cruise info.

I'm thinking about a 15 day out of SF to HI on Princess.

I really don't think there is a bad cruise. Oh so relaxing!

11. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the repositioning cruises from L.A. to Vancouver

My favorite ships are NCL Pearl or Jewel that stop at more ports.
    I always look to see how many ports the repositioning ships are planning to do and I also look at how much time they plan to stay at each port.

For example; The repo ship must stop in VictoriaB.C. and stay enough time in the port in order to enjoy the port.

I like Nainamo, Canada, also. The ship must stop there also.

I prefer Princess over Holland because Princess has more activities and is
    more fun.
    I cruise solo so Holland is lonely for solo me for me because I don't play cards and most of the cruisers love to play cards. They don't have activities
    that I like. The FOOD IS GREAT ON THE HOLLAND SHIPS. But I don't cruise
    on ships that have the best food. I like to cruise on ships that have the best
    social activities for solo me. Princess has good foods too. Lucy

12. mdk63

mdk63 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Done Both

Either is terrific. Go for the schedule that fits you best. As the others have shared, there's no bad cruise. While school is in session I've even enjoyed Carnival immensely; but then again I don't have a disdain for children on vacation and enjoy watching them have a good time (or whine)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.